Ludwig II (manga)
English edition of the first volume of Ludwig II as published by Digital Manga Publishing
(Rūtovihi II Sei)
|Written by||You Higuri|
|Published by||Kadokawa Shoten|
|Original run||1996 – 1998|
Ludwig II (Japanese: ルートヴィヒⅡ世? Hepburn: Rūtovihi II Sei) is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by You Higuri. It is licensed in North America by Digital Manga Publishing, which released the first volume of the manga on 10 June 2009, and the second on 23 September 2009. It has been licensed in France and Germany by Panini Comics. It fictionalises the story of Ludwig II of Bavaria.
|No.||Japanese release date||Japanese ISBN||English release date||English ISBN|
|1||13 March 1996||ISBN 4-04-852640-5||10 June 2009||ISBN 978-1-56-970053-2|
|2||29 May 1997||ISBN 4-04-852822-X||23 September 2009||ISBN 978-1-56-970054-9|
|3||29 October 1998||ISBN 4-04-853018-6||—||—|
Holly Ellingwood, writing for Active Anime, enjoyed how You Higuri brought historical facts into her story. Casey Brienza, writing for Graphic Novel Reporter, described Ludwig II as being "an updated Rose of Versailles", due to its "bold lines, asymmetrical layouts" and European setting, describing it as being less about the history than about the personalities in that time. Katherine Dacey enjoyed Higuri's "sensual artwork — her languid character designs, sumptuous interiors, and Wagnerian imagery", but disliked the sexual torture of the king's lover, Richard Hornig. Leroy Douresseaux, writing for Comic Book Bin, felt "You Higuri’s use of romantic entanglements, sex, and political machinations makes for an excellent, engaging read." and also enjoyed the artwork, noting Higuri's use of toning and sparkling techniques around Ludwig to symbolise the "enchanted fantasy world he wants to inhabit". Melinda Beasi, writing for PopCultureShock, felt that the plot could have been closer to real life, but noted that the "palpable loneliness" of the real Ludwig II does not fit well into the boys love genre.
- Ludwig II Vol. 1 - Juné Manga
- Ludwig II Vol. 2 - Juné Manga
- paninicomics.fr - Dettaglio Prodotto
- Ludwig II als Serie bei PaniniComics.de
- "ルートヴィヒII世 第1巻" (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- "Ludwig II Vol. 1". Digital Manga Publishing. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- "ルートヴィヒII世 第2巻" (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- "Ludwig II Vol. 2". Digital Manga Publishing. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- "ルートヴィヒII世 第3巻" (in Japanese). Kadokawa Shoten. Retrieved 21 April 2014.
- Ellingwood, Holly (July 6, 2009). "Ludwig II Vol. 1". activeAnime. Retrieved October 3, 2011.
- "Ludwig II, Vol. 1". Graphic Novel Reporter. Archived from the original on 23 November 2010.
- Short Takes: Black Bird, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and Ludwig II
- Ludwig II: Volume 1 (Yaoi)
- Ludwig II.: Volume 2
- Beasi, Melinda (2 January 2010). "Ludwig II, Vols. 1-2". Pop Culture Shock. Archived from the original on 2 July 2010. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- Merveille, Karen (2008). Brient, Hervé, ed. Homosexualité et manga : le yaoi. Manga: 10000 images (in French). Editions H. pp. 97–100. ISBN 978-2-9531781-0-4.