Luge at the 2014 Winter Olympics
at the XXII Olympic Winter Games
|Venue||Sliding Center Sanki, Krasnaya Polyana, Russia|
|Dates||8–13 February 2014|
|Competitors||110 from 24 nations|
|Luge at the|
2014 Winter Olympics
In April 2011 the International Olympic Committee approved the addition of the mixed team relay event (one sled from each of the other three events compete per country), meaning luge will have four events on the program for the first time.
In December 2017, IOC concluded that two Russian lugers Albert Demchenko and Tatiana Ivanova had committed an anti-doping violation and stripped Russia of 2 silver medals. In January 2018, both athletes successfully appealed against the IOC decision at the Court of Arbitration for Sport and both medals were returned to Russia.
|8 February||18:30||Men's singles runs 1 and 2|
|9 February||18:30||Men's singles runs 3 and 4|
|10 February||18:45||Women's singles runs 1 and 2|
|11 February||18:30||Women's singles runs 3 and 4|
|12 February||18:15||Doubles runs 1 and 2|
|13 February||20:15||Team relay|
|United States (USA)||0||0||1||1|
|| Tobias Wendl
and Tobias Arlt (GER)
|1:38.933|| Andreas Linger
and Wolfgang Linger (AUT)
|1:39.455|| Andris Šics
and Juris Šics (LAT)
|| Germany (GER)
|2:45.649|| Russia (RUS)
|2:46.679|| Latvia (LAT)
A total quota of 110 athletes were allowed to compete at the Games. Countries were assigned quotas using the world rankings of results from 1 November 2012 to 31 December 2013.
110 athletes from 24 nations are scheduled to participate, with number of athletes in parenthesis. Both Kazakhstan and Tonga (also making its Winter Olympics debut) marked their first Olympic appearances in the sport. India's athlete competed as an Independent Olympic Participants, as the Indian Olympic Association was suspended by the International Olympic Committee; the suspension was later lifted, but not before India's athlete had already competed under the Independent Olympic Participant banner. IOC decision to disqualify Russia was nullified by the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
- "Sliding Center Sanki". SOOC. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- "Luge Team Relay Added to Olympic Schedule". USA Luge. 6 April 2011. Archived from the original on 16 April 2013. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- "IOC sanctions 11 Russian athletes as part of Oswald Commission findings". International Olympic Committee. 2017-12-22. Retrieved 2017-12-22.
- "THE COURT OF ARBITRATION FOR SPORT (CAS) DELIVERS ITS DECISIONS IN THE MATTER OF 39 RUSSIAN ATHLETES V/ THE IOC:28 APPEALS UPHELD, 11 PARTIALLY UPHELD" (PDF). THE COURT OF ARBITRATION FOR SPORT. 10 February 2018. Retrieved 10 February 2018.
- "Luge competition schedule". SOCOG. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "Qualification Systems for XXII Olympic Winter Games, Sochi 2014" (PDF). International Luge Federation. December 2011. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- "Luge hopeful qualifies as Tonga's first winter Olympian". Yahoo Sports. 23 December 2013. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- "Shiva Kesavan hopes India's suspension lifted before Sochi Olympics". Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Associated Press. 18 December 2013. Archived from the original on 29 January 2014. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- "International Olympic Committee reinstates India at Sochi after ban". CNN. 24 October 2013. Retrieved 11 February 2014.