Lugnano in Teverina
|Lugnano in Teverina|
|Comune di Lugnano in Teverina|
Church of Santa Maria Assunta.
|• Mayor||Gianluca Filiberti|
|• Total||29.83 km2 (11.52 sq mi)|
|Elevation||419 m (1,375 ft)|
|Population (30 September 2017)|
|• Density||49/km2 (130/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||Assumption of Mary|
|Saint day||August 15|
- Palazzo Pennone
- Palazzo of the Bufalari Counts
- Church of Santa Maria Assunta
- Convent of San Francesco
Nearby is the site known as the "Children's Necropolis", dating to the mid-5th century AD. The site includes the burial grounds of new-born and aborted fetuses. Some of the burials seem to have been so-called "vampire burials". These burial practices, such as inserting a stone into the mouth of the deceased, have been interpreted as means to prevent the rising of the dead. Modern research has indicated that many of the burials were victims of malaria, a disease whose origins were unknown until the 19th century. Vampire burials may have been practiced in the hope that the spread of disease would be curtailed.
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.
- Phillips, Kristine (2018-10-15). "Archaeologists find 'vampire burial' site of a child feared capable of rising from the dead". Washington Post. Retrieved 2018-10-15.
- Official website (in Italian) (in English)
|This Umbria location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|