Lugoff, South Carolina
Lugoff, South Carolina
|• Total||15.29 sq mi (39.59 km2)|
|• Land||15.03 sq mi (38.94 km2)|
|• Water||0.25 sq mi (0.65 km2)|
|Elevation||262 ft (80 m)|
|• Density||494/sq mi (190.9/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1231510|
Lugoff (pronounced Lew goff) is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) in Kershaw County, South Carolina, United States. The population was 7,434 at the 2010 census, up from 6,278 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Columbia, South Carolina Metropolitan Statistical Area.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 15.3 square miles (39.6 km2), of which 15.0 square miles (38.9 km2) are land and 0.6 square kilometres (0.2 sq mi), or 1.64%, are water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 7,434 people, 2,861 households, and 2,130 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 494.6 people per square mile (190.9/km²). There were 3,017 housing units, of which 156, or 5.2%, were vacant. The racial makeup of the CDP was 79.9% white, 16.9% African American, 0.2% Native American, 0.5% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 1.0% some other races, and 1.4% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.7% of the population.
Of the 2,861 households in the CDP, 38.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.0% were headed by married couples living together, 14.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.6% were non-families. 22.7% of all households were made up of individuals, and 7.9% were someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.59, and the average family size was 3.03.
In the CDP, 26.3% of the population were under the age of 18, 6.9% were from 18 to 24, 25.2% were from 25 to 44, 28.3% were from 45 to 64, and 13.3% were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39.2 years. For every 100 females, there were 92.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.6 males.
For the period 2013-17, the estimated median annual income for a household in the CDP was $56,665, and the median income for a family was $64,148. Male full-time workers had a median income of $45,810 versus $36,250 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $24,386. About 10.5% of families and 15.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.5% of those under age 18 and 11.3% of those age 65 or over.
- Lugoff-Elgin High School
- Lugoff-Elgin Middle School
- Lugoff Elementary School
- Wateree Elementary School
- Doby's Mill Elementary School
The Lights of Lugoff Christmas Parade takes place every Christmas season in Lugoff.
- Brook Benton, singer and songwriter
- "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan, professional wrestler of Mid-South, WCW, and WWE fame
- Donald Leroy Truesdell, United States Marine Corps Medal of Honor recipient during the Occupation of Nicaragua
- Randy Bowers High School football standout
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001), Lugoff CDP, South Carolina". American FactFinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved April 17, 2019.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (DP-1), Lugoff CDP, South Carolina". American FactFinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved April 17, 2019.
- "Selected Economic Characteristics: 2013-2017 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates (DP03), Lugoff CDP, South Carolina". American FactFinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved April 17, 2019.