|Born||27 January 1963 (age 54)
Alba, Piedmont, Italy
|Fields||Calculus of variations, Partial differential equations|
|Institutions||Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa|
|Alma mater||Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa, (Ph.D., 1988)|
|Doctoral advisor||Ennio De Giorgi|
|Doctoral students||Carlo Mantegazza
Camillo De Lellis
Guido de Philippis
|Known for||Free discontinuity problems, Theory of BV functions, Geometric measure theory, Analysis in metric spaces|
|Notable awards||Bartolozzi Prize (1991)
Caccioppoli Prize (1998)
Fermat Prize (2003)
Ambrosio entered the Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa in 1981. He obtained his degree under the guidance of Ennio de Giorgi in 1985 at University of Pisa, and the Diploma at Scuola Normale. He obtained his PhD in 1988.
He is currently professor at the Scuola Normale, having taught previously at the University of Rome "Tor Vergata", the University of Pisa, and the University of Pavia. Ambrosio also taught and conducted research at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the ETH in Zurich, and the Max Planck Institute for Mathematics in the Sciences in Leipzig.
He is the Managing Editor of the scientific journal Calculus of Variations and Partial Differential Equations, and member of the editorial boards of scientific journals.
In 1998 Ambrosio won the Caccioppoli Prize of the Italian Mathematical Union. In 2002 he was plenary speaker at the International Congress of Mathematicians in Beijing and in 2003 he has been awarded with the Fermat Prize. From 2005 he is a corresponding member of Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei. Ambrosio is listed as an ISI highly cited researcher.
- Ambrosio, L. (1989). A compactness theorem for a new class of functions of bounded variation. Boll. Un. Mat. Ital. B (7) 3, no. 4, 857–881.
- De Giorgi, Ennio; Ambrosio, Luigi (1989). New functionals in the calculus of variations. (Italian) Atti Accad. Naz. Lincei Rend. Cl. Sci. Fis. Mat. Natur. (8) 82 (1988), no. 2, 199–210.
- Ambrosio, L. (1990). Existence theory for a new class of variational problems. Arch. Rational Mech. Anal. 111, no. 4, 291–322.
- Ambrosio, Luigi; Fusco, Nicola; Pallara, Diego (2000). Functions of bounded variation and free discontinuity problems. Oxford Mathematical Monographs. The Clarendon Press, Oxford University Press, New York.
- Ambrosio, L; Kirchheim, B. "Currents in metric spaces", Acta Math., 185 (2000), 1–80.
- Ambrosio, Luigi; Gigli, Nicola; Savaré, Giuseppe (2005). Gradient flows in metric spaces and in the space of probability measures. Lectures in Mathematics ETH Zurich. Birkhäuser Verlag, Basel.
- Luigi Ambrosio, Edward Norman Dancer, Giuseppe Buttazzo, A. Marino, M. K. Venkatesha Murthy, eds. (2000). Calculus of variations and partial differential equations. Springer. ISBN 978-3-540-64803-1.