Luis López Nieves
|Luis López Nieves|
|Genre||Novel, Short Story|
|Notable works||Voltaire's Heart; Seva; The True Death of Juan Ponce de León|
|Notable awards||National Literature Prize (Twice: in 2000 and in 2005)|
|Spouse||Mara Daisy Cruz|
Luis López Nieves [note 1] (born January 17, 1950) is one of the most influential and best-selling Puerto Rican authors ever. He has won the National Literature Prize on two occasions: first, in 2000, with his book of historical short stories The True Death of Juan Ponce de León; second, in 2005, with his novel Voltaire's Heart. He published two other books including Seva, and Writing for Rafa. His short stories have been published in Latin American and Spanish anthologies.
Education and career
López Nieves created and is the director of the first Master's Program in Creative Writing of Latin America, at the Sacred Heart University, in San Juan. He also founded and directs Ciudad Seva Digital Library (Ciudad Seva), that has received more than 63 million visitors from all over the world (in March 2013).
López Nieves has a BA in General Studies from the University of Puerto Rico; also an MA in Hispanic Literature and a Ph.D. in Comparative Literature, both from State University of New York at Stony Brook.
He has collaborated with several newspapers and written two TV miniseries. He has written the scripts for PSA advertisements. He has been visiting professor at the University of Massachusetts Boston and was a Ford Foundation Fellow.
His books The True Death of Juan Ponce de León (2000) and Voltaire's Heart (2005) have won the National Literature Prize. Additional books he has published include Seva and Writing for Rafa. His short stories have been published in Latin American and Spanish anthologies. In 2009 he published his latest novel, Galileo's Silence (El silencio de Galileo), simultaneously in Spain and in Latin America.
- El corazón de Voltaire, 2005, Grupo Editorial Norma, Colombia. (Voltaire's Heart.)
- El corazón de Voltaire, 2007, Belacqva, Spain. (Voltaire's Heart.)
- El silencio de Galileo, La Otra Orilla (Grupo Editorial Norma), Bogotá, Colombia, junio 2009, pp. 338. (Galileo's Silence)
- El silencio de Galileo, Mosaico (Grupo Editorial Norma), Barcelona, España, julio 2009, pp. 333. (Galileo's Silence)
- Seva (one of Puerto Rico's most celebrated short stories), 1984, Grupo Editorial Norma, Colombia.
- Escribir para Rafa, 1987, Grupo Editorial Norma, Colombia. (Writing for Rafa.)
- La verdadera muerte de Juan Ponce de León, 2000, Grupo Editorial Norma, Colombia. (The True Death of Juan Ponce de León.)
Short story anthologies
- El cuento hispanoamericano (Seymour Menton, Fondo de Cultura Económica, México, Seventh Edition, 2003).
- El cuento hispanoamericano en el siglo XX (Fernando Burgos, Editorial Castalia, Madrid, 1997).
- El muro y la intemperie: El nuevo cuento latinoamericano (Julio Ortega, Ediciones del Norte, New Hampshire, USA, 1989).
- Cuentos para ahuyentar el turismo (Vitalina Alfonso y Emilio Jorge Rodríguez, Editorial Arte y Literatura, La Habana, Cuba, 1991).
- Writing Between the Lines (Bowen & Weigel, University of Massachusetts Press, Amherst, MA, USA, 1997).
- Die Horen (Wilfried Böhringer, Germany, Year 42, 3rd Quarter, Edition 187, 1997).
- Los nuevos caníbales: Antología de la más reciente cuentística del caribe hispano (Bobes, Valdez y Gómez Beras, Editorial Isla Negra -joint publishing with Ediciones Unión/Cuba and Editorial Búho/Dominican Republic-, San Juan, Puerto Rico, 2000).
- Ciudad Seva
- Seva Vive
- Bibliography about López Nieves IN ENGLISH
- Datos Personales
- Bibliografía sobre la obra de López Nieves