|Full name||Luis Fernando Muriel Fruto|
|Date of birth||16 April 1991|
|Place of birth||Santo Tomás, Colombia|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|2010–2011||→ Granada (loan)||7||(0)|
|2011–2012||→ Lecce (loan)||29||(7)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 12 September 2016.
During his first season with Udinese, Muriel won the Serie A Best Young Revelation along with Stephan El Shaarawy.
Muriel is currently a Colombian international having represented his nation at a full international level since 2012. Considered to be a member of the current golden generation of Colombia, Muriel is regarded as the future of the national team. He made his senior debut in June 2012, in a World Cup qualifying match against Ecuador. The following year, Muriel scored his first goal, against Guatemala.
In January 2009, he was signed by Deportivo Cali and immediately joined their youth side. After spending a year with the youth side of Deportivo, he was promoted to the Categoría Primera A team. On 12 July 2009, he made his debut for his new side against Envigado FC.
Granada & Lecce (loan)
He was loaned to Granada CF of Spain's Second Division to get European experience on 12 July 2010. In order to borrow non-European Union registration quota from Lecce, Muriel was "signed" outright by Lecce from Granada in 2011 as a de facto loan deal, then sold back to Udinese outright.
Return to Udinese
On 1 July 2012, Muriel returned to Udinese. On 12 September 2012 Muriel signed a new 5-year contract with Udinese, which will keep him at the club until 2017. He made his debut in a 2–1 defeat against Fiorentina, providing the assist for the opening goal. Muriel was awarded Serie A Best Young Revelation for 2012, which he shared with Stephan El Shaarawy.
In the qualifying playoff rounds of the 2013–14 UEFA Europa League, Muriel scored 2 goals in a 3–1 victory over Široki Brijeg. It's also noted that he was wearing the number 9 jersey by this point for the club.
In his first league match of the season, Muriel scored against Coppa Italia champions, Lazio in a 2–1 loss. On 1 September, he converted a goal from the penalty spot in a 3–1 win over Parma. Muriel saved Udinese from a 1–0 loss against Bologna by providing a wonderful assist.
Days later, Muriel signed a 5-year extension on his contract, keeping him with the club until 2018.
Luis Muriel and Andrea Coda joined Sampdoria on 22 January 2015 from Udinese in temporary deals, with an obligation to buy at the end of season for €12 million in total. Muriel signed a contract which lasts until 30 June 2019.
Muriel played for the Colombian U-20 national team.
- Scores and results list Colombia's goal tally first.
|1.||6 February 2013||Sun Life Stadium, Miami Gardens, United States||Guatemala||
Style of play
He has been praised often during his time in Italy, which led him to win the award for best young player in the Serie A league in 2012. Many figures in Italy such as fellow Udinese teammate Antonio Di Natale, praised Muriel for his technique on the ball and potential.
Muriel stated that his comparison to Brazilian legend Ronaldo by his playing style, is likely because he was a main supporter of Ronaldo during his time in Inter Milan. Muriel went on to say that he supported Inter Milan because Ronaldo was playing for them at the time. Coincidentally, Muriel also stated that he also suffers weight issues (like Ronaldo during his time) and had to lose five kilos at one point. This meant that he had to be consistent with fitness, which explained his similar style to the Brazilian legend and high quality in terms of athletic stature.
- Napoli hoopt 'Colombiaanse Ronaldo' te strikken •. Elfvoetbal.nl.
- CALCIOMERCATO/ Napoli, Di Salvatore (ag. FIFA): Muriel erede di Cavani? Meglio Osvaldo... (esclusiva). Ilsussidiario.net.
- Why Man Utd and Liverpool have joined the battle for Luis Muriel – the new Ronaldo | Transfers. Tribal Football (17 April 2012).
- Futbolmanía RCN (ed.): «Tres goles de Muriel le dan respiro al Deportivo Cali ». Canalrcn.com.
- ESPN Deportes.com (ed.): «Luis Muriel jugará en Udinese ». ESPN.go.com (1 January 2008).
- Colombia – L. Muriel – Profile with news, career statistics and history – Soccerway. Soccerway.
- Granada Club de Fútbol – Web oficial. Granadacf.es.
- "Calcio Mercato". Lega Serie A (in Italian). 31 August 2011. Archived from the original on 6 September 2011. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- "Muriel rinnova fino al 2017!" (in Italian). Udinese Calcio. 12 September 2012. Retrieved 12 September 2012.
- Fiorentina vs Udinese. Football Italia (25 August 2012).
- Gran Gala del Calcio 2012 – Winners. Forza Italian Football (28 January 2013).
- "Finalmente blucerchiati: Muriel e Coda, benvenuti al Doria" (in Italian). U.C. Sampdoria. 22 January 2015. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- Todos los Fichajes: Luis Muriel ficha por el Udinese. Milfichajes.blogspot.com (22 June 2010).
- "Luis Muriel International Statistics"., Int.soccerway.com Retrieved on 15 July 2014
- Muriel will be a great, says Di Natale. Football Italia (2 May 2013).
- Player Focus: Luis Muriel – The Forgotten Forward in This Summer's Transfer Window. Whoscored.com (18 July 2013).
- "Gran Galà del Calcio Aic. E' Pirlo il migliore del 2012" (in Italian). Tuttosport. 27 January 2013. Retrieved 25 April 2016.