Luis Ortiz (pitcher)
Ortiz with the Frisco RoughRiders in 2016
September 22, 1995 |
Ortiz attended Sanger High School in Sanger, California. In November 2013, he committed to play college baseball at Fresno State University. He was drafted by the Texas Rangers in the first round of the 2014 Major League Baseball Draft. He signed on June 11.
On August 1, 2016, the Rangers traded Ortiz, Lewis Brinson, and Ryan Cordell to the Milwaukee Brewers for Jonathan Lucroy and Jeremy Jeffress. In 22 games between the Frisco RoughRiders, High Desert Mavericks, and Biloxi Shuckers, Oritz posted a 6-8 record with a 3.08 ERA.
- "Where One Of Baseball's Top Prospects, Luis Ortiz, Finds His Inner Strength". The Huffington Post. 17 October 2013.
- Major league draft: Clovis' Jacob Gatewood, Sanger's Luis Ortiz among potential first-round picks (video)
- The Reedley Exponent. "Sanger Herald". The Reedley Exponent.
- "Rangers dip into high school ranks for Ortiz". Texas Rangers.
- "Rangers reach deal with first-round Draft pick Luis Ortiz". Texas Rangers.
- "Milwaukee receives Ryan Cordell as third player in Jonathan Lucroy, Jeremy Jeffress deal". sportsday.dallasnews.com. 6 September 2016.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference (Minors)