Luis Ramírez Zapata
|Full name||Luis Baltazar Ramírez Zapata|
|Date of birth||6 January 1954|
|Place of birth||San Salvador, El Salvador|
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 2007.
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 26 December 2006
Nicknamed El Pelé, he spent nearly 20 years playing for Salvadoran club Águila. He started with Águila, after being recommended by Brazilian technical director Arnaldo Da Silva, under the legendary Juan Francisco Barraza before leaving to join other clubs and later in his career make a return to the San Miguel based club. He also would go on to play for Atlético Marte and Alianza in his homeland El Salvador and spent time abroad playing for Cartaginés in Costa Rica, scoring 11 goals, and Puebla in Mexico. In 1990, he played for the Washington Diplomats of the American Professional Soccer League.
Ramírez has represented his country in 24 FIFA World Cup qualification matches and was a member of the El Salvador team at the 1982 World Cup in Spain. During the tournament, he scored their only goal in World Cup history. Unfortunately, it came in the infamous 10–1 defeat to Hungary on 15 June 1982, which remains the single biggest loss for a team in the competition's history.
Managerial career and personal life
His first job as a manager was at Águila, where he replaced Panamanian coach Gary Stempel in 2007. After his own dismissal, he coached Atlético Balboa and Salvadoran second division side ADI F.C., before joining the Department of Culture and Sports of the San Miguel mayorship. He was sacked by the municipal council in October 2011.
- EL KINDER DE BARRAZA – Aguilaonline (Spanish)
- Eliseo Quintanilla, el primer cuzcatleco aquí en 20 años - Nación (Spanish)
- 1990 Washington Diplomats
- Luis Ramírez Zapata – FIFA competition record
- "Se habla más del 10–1 que de mi gol" – El Diario de Hoy (Spanish)
- Owsianski, Jarek (18 April 2004). "El Salvador – Record International Players". RSSSF.
- ¿Qué PASó con... "EL PELÉ" ZAPATA? – El Salvador.com (Spanish)
- El “Pelé” Zapata denuncia despido injustificado en PGR – La Prensa Gráfica (Spanish)