Torrens with the Staten Island Yankees in 2014
|San Diego Padres|
|Born: May 2, 1996|
|April 3, 2017, for the San Diego Padres|
|Career statistics |
(through 2017 season)
|Runs batted in||7|
New York Yankees
Torrens signed with the New York Yankees as an international free agent on July 2, 2012. He made his professional debut in 2013 for the Gulf Coast League Yankees. In 2014, he played for the Charleston RiverDogs, Gulf Coast Yankees and Staten Island Yankees.
In March 2015, Torrens had surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder, which ended his 2015 season. He returned from the injury in 2016 and played in 52 games with Staten Island and Charleston.
San Diego Padres
In the 2016 Rule 5 draft, the Cincinnati Reds selected Torrens from the Yankees. Immediately after taking Torrens, the Reds traded him to the San Diego Padres. Torrens joined the Padres' Opening Day roster as a 20-year old, never having played above single-A. Torrens, along with Héctor Sánchez, served as a back-up to catcher Austin Hedges during the 2017 season. He started 31 games for the Padres overall, but saw less time as the season progressed, making only 6 starts and 29 plate appearances over the final two months of the season. Torrens finished 2017 with 20 hits in 123 at-bats, including 3 doubles and a triple.
Torrens played for Magallanes in the Venezuelan Winter League in the MLB off-season. He returned to the Padres Spring Training camp in 2018, but battled an oblique injury, and then was optioned to the Double-A San Antonio Missions on March 14. He was recalled on October 2.
- "Yankees ink 'premier prospect in Latin America'". New York Post. July 3, 2012. Retrieved October 28, 2014.
- "Catching prospect Luis Torrens a teenage sensation with the Staten Island Yankees". SILive.com. Retrieved October 28, 2014.
- "Luis Torrens Showing Breakout Signs For Yankees". BaseballAmerica.com. Retrieved October 28, 2014.
- "When did top Yankee prospect Luis Torrens' season-ending injury happen?". NJ.com. Retrieved May 24, 2015.
- Schneidman, Matt (June 17, 2016). "Yanks' 'special' catching prospect is oozing talent — when healthy". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- Lin, Dennis (April 1, 2017). "Padres set opening-day roster, option Cory Spangenberg to El Paso". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved March 18, 2018.
- Sanders, Jeff (May 18, 2017). "First pitch: Torrens, not Sanchez, is preferred backup catcher". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved March 18, 2018.
- Sanders, Jeff (January 23, 2018). "Padres roster review: Luis Torrens". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved March 10, 2018.
- Sanders, Jeff (November 27, 2017). "Offseason leagues: Luis Torrens a busy man this winter". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved March 18, 2018.
- "Padres' Luis Torrens: Battling oblique injury". CBSSports.com. March 9, 2018. Retrieved March 18, 2018.
- "Padres' Luis Torrens: Optioned to Double-A". CBSSports.com. March 14, 2018. Retrieved March 18, 2018.