Luís de Matos
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Luis de Matos|
|Born||Luis Manuel Curcialeiro Godinho de Matos
August 23, 1970
Lourenço Marques, Portuguese Mozambique
He is the youngest magician ever to receive "The Devant Award" from The Magic Circle (October 19, 2013). Some say that he is the most renowned and distinguished Portuguese magician of all times.
Luis de Matos was born in Portuguese Mozambique in 1970, a Portuguese overseas province until 1975. At the age of five he moved with his parents to Portugal where the family settled near the city of Coimbra.
In 1995 Luis de Matos baffled the Portuguese public when predicting the Lottery numbers one week's time in advance.
Luis de Matos is a professional magician in Portugal. He began making guest appearances on television in 1990 and two years later hosted his own television series entitled "Isto é Magia!" ("This is Magic"). This was followed by several other magic successful TV shows including "Noite Mágica", "Ilusões com Luis de Matos”, "Luis de Matos Ao Vivo", "Shalakabula", "Mistérios" a 13 x 1 hour series for RTP1 in Portugal.
Luis de Matos has made appearances and started as a regular in TV shows worldwide like "Shalakabula" in Spain, BBC "The Magicians", most recently starting in its latest Spanish version "Por Arte de Magia". Nowadays he is currently ongoing its 9th season as a regular on TVG TV show "LUAR".
Throughout the years he won several important prizes such as the "Magician of the year" (Hollywood Academy of Magical Arts − 1999) and the "Mandrake D'or" (French Society of Magicians − 2000).
Quoting his "Award of Merit" (Hollywood Academy of Magic Arts − 1995):
"In recognition of his remarkable devotion to the art of magic. His television series "Isto é Magia" and "Noite Mágica" brought legions of new fans to the art. An accomplished magician and illusionist he has brought dozens of international stars of magic before his television audience to share their talent and their knowledge of magical history. In his career he will touch millions and instill in them his love for magic."
He has worked as a magical consultant to Portugal’s National Theatre, was artistic director of FISM 2000 in Lisbon and is responsible for many memorable events like the Guinness World Records for "Vanishing 52,001 Silk Handkerchiefs Simultaneously" at the Estádio do Dragão (football stadium) opening ceremony in Porto, Portugal. Luis de Matos was the mastermind and protagonist of the event.
In 2010, in collaboration with David Britland and Marco Tempest, Luis de Matos organized The Essential Magic Conference, the first and only (so far) online magic conference. This conference was held in ESTÚDIO33 (STUDIO33) in Portugal, where 33 magic celebrities learned, shared and collaborated with the worldwide magic community. The original concept was to carry out the conference for another two years, which they did successfully. During the last year of the conference, nearly 2000 people "attended" from around 75 countries of the world.
His biggest project to date is the creation of ESTÚDIO33 in Ansião. It is the purpose built magical headquarters of Luis de Matos Productions, housing a fully rigged theatre, rehearsal space, reference library, workshop and offices.
He is also the founder and producer of The Essential Magic Collection, a groundbreaking DVD collection dedicated to providing high quality teaching materials for magic and magicians.
In 2013 Luis de Matos receives in Los Angeles, his third award by the Hollywood Academy of Magical Arts, the “Special Fellowship Award" where the following is engraved:
“In recognition of a trail-blazing achievement in magic and media. As founder and producer of the Essential Magic Conference, his tireless efforts helped to create something genuinely new, guiding magic into its future.”
Also in 2013 he is distinguished with the Magic Golden Grolla Award “Il grande rivoluzionario della magia”, founded in 1953, it is one of the most renowned awards given to artists and public figures of different art forms in Italy.
Luis de Matos was distinguished in October 2013 with "The David Devant Award" by The Magic Circle. This award is given to those who have made a significant contribution in advancing the art of magic or who have given outstanding service to magic internationally.
Nowadays Luis de Matos still has a major contribution to the promotion of Magic and Art producing a series of Street Magic Festivals, occurring every year throughout the country (Portugal). In these festivals he brings literally dozens of great performers from all over the world to amaze and entertain the most varied audiences.
- 1990. First professional appearance on RTP1 Christmas Special ('Natal dos Hospitais') as the ceremony's host.
- 1991. Hosts a ten-minute spot on a morning show called 'Espaço Mágico' (13 episodes) on RTP1.
- 1992. Writes and hosts 'Isto é Magia' ('This is Magic') series (40 episodes) on RTP1.
- 1991. Participates as game show host on 'Caça ao Tesouro' ('Treasure Hunt') for 96 episodes on RTP1.
- 1992. Writes and hosts 'Isto é Magia' ('This is Magic') (26 episodes) on RTP1.
- 1994. Writes and hosts 'Noite Mágica' ('Magic Night') (26 episodes) on RTP1.
- 1994. Hosts live with Ana do Carmo Festival da Canção on RTP1.
- 1995. Hosts a Portuguese talk show 'Domingo em Cheio!' (10 episodes) on RTP1.
- 1995. Participates on the 'Magiskt Show', Sweden; 'World's Greatest Magic', NBC; 'Champions of Magic', ABC.
- 1996. Writes, produces and hosts 'Ilusões com Luis de Matos' (26 episodes) on RTP1 having Sónia Araújo as his assistant.
- 1996. Participates for the second time at Monaco's 'Champions of Magic', produced by ABC.
- 2001. Writes, produces and hosts 'Luis de Matos Ao Vivo' (13 episodes) on RTP1.
- 2005. Hosts with Catarina Furtado, live on RTP1 the 'Gala Pirilampo Mágico' (Portuguese famous gala show).
- 2006. 'Luis de Matos 3D' (TV Special) on RTP1.
- 2006. Participates as regular on the Spanish TV Show 'Shalakabula' (21 episodes).
- 2006. Begins his weekly participation on Spanish TV Show 'Luar' on TVG, which is still ongoing (currently in its 9th Season of participation).
- 2008. Writes, produces and hosts 'Mistérios' (13 episodes) on RTP1.
- 2009. Participates in several international TV Shows: 'Surprise, Surprise' (Romania) and 'Le Plus Grand Cabaret Du Monde' (France).
- 2011. The Magicians, (5 TV Specials) for BBC.
- 2011. Participates on RTP1 live gala show 'PORTUGAL APLAUDE' dedicated to arts.
- 2012. This is Magic, (2 TV Shows) recorded for MBC South Korea.
- 2013. Por Arte de Magia recorded in Spain for Antena 3.
- 1999. "A Magia de Luis de Matos" ("Luis de Matos Magic"/"Mobile Theatre Tour") - first national tour (Portugal), 45 cities, 245 shows took place in a special venue created and designed by Luis de Matos called “Teatro Móvel” ("Mobile Theatre").
- 2001. "Utopia" - 12.000 spectators audience at Pavilhão Atlântico, Lisbon.
- 2002. "Luis de Matos CLOSE-UP" - touring Portugal and Spain for seven years.
- 2004. "Luis de Matos ENIGMA" - touring Portugal and Spain for five years.
- 2012. "Luis de Matos CHAOS" - touring Portugal and Spain.
The Illusionists 2.0
- Adelaide, Australia  (from 27 December 2013 to 5 January 2014)
- Sydney, Australia  (from 8 to 16 January 2014)
- Brisbane, Australia  (from 19 to 27 January 2014)
- Mexico City, Mexico  (from 16 to 27 July 2014)
- Auckland, New Zealand  (from 2 to 13 September 2014)
- Abu Dhabi, UAE  (from 25 to 29 October 2014)
- Dubai, UAE Dubai World Trade Center  (from 30 October to 5 November 2014)
- Istanbul, Turkey  (from 13 to 17 November 2014)
- Melbourne, Australia  (from 16 to 25 January 2015)
- Perth, Australia  (from 11 to 19 April 2015)
- "O Mundo Mágico de Luis de Matos" ("Luis de Matos Magic World") | Publisher Gradiva | 1995 - Author.
- "Hocus Pocus" by Paul Kieve | Publisher Dom Quixote | 2009 - Preface by Luis de Matos.
- "Luis de Matos HOME TOUR" | released and distributed by Jornal de Notícias | 2002 - Author; Producer.
- "Enciclopédia Mágica" | released and distributed by Jornal de Notícias | 2003 - Author; Producer.
- “Luis de Matos EXTREME Human Body Stunts for Professionals” | Essential Magic Collection | 2009 - Author; Producer.
- "The Magic Square" | Essential Magic Collection | 2011 - Author; Producer.
- "The Egg Bag" | Essential Magic Collection | 2013 - Author; Producer.
- "The Floating Ball" | Essential Magic Collection | 2014 - Author; Producer.
- "Luis de Matos MAGICUS" | Includes Original DVD | 2011 | Concentra.
- "Isto é Magia!" | 2006 | Concentra.
- "SCHHH... Isto é Segredo!" | Includes Original VHS | Frenesim.
- 1986 - "Best Newcomer" Award - "7th International Magic Festival" at Figueira da Foz (Portugal)
- 1987 - Second Place in "Close-Up" - "1st Magic National Congress" at Figueira da Foz (Portugal)
- 1989 - Winner in "Manipulation" at the "2nd Magic National Congress" at Figueira da Foz (Portugal)
- 1995 - "Award of Merit" - Hollywood Academy of Magical Arts
- 1996 - "Troféu Nova Gente" - People's Choice (Portugal)
- 1998 - "The Merlin Award, Best Close-Up Magician” - International Magicians Society
- 1999 - "Magician of the Year" - Hollywood Academy of Magical Arts
- 1999 - “Mandrake d’Or” - French Academy of Illusionists (Paris, France)
- 2010 - "The Merlin Award, Magician Of The Decade" - International Magicians Society
- 2013 - "Special Fellowship Award" - Hollywood Academy of Magical Arts
- 2013 - "Magic Golden Grolla, Il grande rivoluzionario della magia” - The Masters of Magic (Italy)
- 2013 - Luis de Matos was awarded with The Golden Medal of the City of Coimbra (Portugal)
- 2013 - "The Devant Award" - The Magic Circle (London)
- 2014 - Luis de Matos was awarded "Comendador da Ordem do Infante D. Henrique" - Presidency of the Portuguese Republic
- Golden Grolla: Luís de Matos picks up top magic award April 15, 2013 "The Portuguese magician Luís de Matos became one of three winners of the Magic Golden Grolla Award alongside peers Lu Chen and Dynamo, from China and the United Kingdom, respectively."
- Awarded to those who have made a significant contribution in advancing the art of magic or who have given outstanding service to magic internationally..
- Mágico Luís de Matos premiado em Londres pelo The Magic Circle
- "Mágico Luís de Matos premiado em Londres pelo The Magic Circle"
- Luis de Matos, el rey del escapismo
- FISM 2000 LISBON XXI WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS
- MOST NON-MAGICIANS TAUGHT TO PRESENT A TRICK IN A SINGLE LOCATION
- Estádio do Dragão: Inauguração
- "PARADISE FOUND - THE ESSENTIAL MAGIC CONFERENCE"
- "Linguagem universal da magia diverte crianças na baixa de Coimbra"
- "Sete mágicos de 12 países nos Encontros de Coimbra"
- "The Merlin Award to magic is what the Oscar is to the movies."
- "Luis de Matos distinguido em Hollywood pela terceira vez"
- Luis de Matos is presented with "The David Devant" Award (for services to International Magic): Luis De Matos MIMC