School strike for climate
|School strike for climate|
Part of the climate movement
Maximum number of school strikers per country:
|Date||Since August 2018, mostly on Fridays, sometimes on Thursdays, Saturdays or Sundays|
|Caused by||Political inaction against global warming|
|Goals||Climate change mitigation|
|Parties to the civil conflict|
The School strike for climate (also known variously as Fridays for Future, Youth for Climate and Youth Strike 4 Climate) is an international movement of school students who are deciding not to attend classes and instead take part in demonstrations to demand action to prevent further global warming and climate change. Publicity and widespread organising began when the climate activist Greta Thunberg staged an action in August of 2018 outside the Swedish Riksdag (parliament), holding a sign that read "Skolstrejk för klimatet" ("School strike for the climate").
Climate Strike 2015
In 2015, an independent group of students invited students around the world to skip school on the first day of COP 21, the UNFCCC Climate Conference. On 30 November, the first day of the conference in Paris, a "Climate Strike" was organized in over 100 countries; over people. 50,000 The movement focused on three demands: 100% clean energy; keeping fossil fuels in the ground, and helping climate refugees.
Greta Thunberg and other early strikers in 2018
On 20 August 2018, the Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg, then in the ninth grade, decided to not attend school until the 2018 Sweden general election on 9 September after heat waves and wildfires in Sweden. She asserts that this move was inspired by the teen activists at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, who had organised the March for Our Lives. Her demands were that the Swedish government reduce carbon emissions per the Paris Agreement, and she protested by sitting outside the Riksdag every day during school hours with a sign that read "Skolstrejk för klimatet" ("school strike for climate"). On 7 September, just before the general elections, she announced that she would continue to strike every Friday until Sweden aligns with the Paris Agreement. She coined the slogan FridaysForFuture, which gained worldwide attention. She inspired school students across the globe to take part in student strikes.
Inspired by Thunberg, organized school strikes started in November 2018. In Australia, thousands of school students were inspired by Thunberg to strike on Fridays, ignoring Prime Minister Scott Morrison's call for "more learning in schools and less activism". Galvanized by the COP 24 Climate Change Conference in Katowice, Poland, in December student strikes continued at least in 270 cities in countries including Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, the Netherlands, Germany, Finland, Denmark, Japan, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and the United States.
In 2019, strikes were organised again in the countries listed above and were organised for the first time in other countries, among them Colombia, New Zealand, and Uganda.
Large mass strikes took place on 17 and 18 January 2019, when at least 000 students protested in Switzerland and Germany alone, against insufficient policies on global warming. 45 In several countries, including Germany and the UK, pupils demanded the change of laws to reduce the voting age to 16 so they could influence public elections in favour of the youth.
Belgian environment minister for Flanders Joke Schauvliege resigned on 5 February 2019 after falsely claiming the state security agency had evidence that the school strikes in Belgium were a "set‑up".
In England, on 13 February 2019, following the open letters supporting Extinction Rebellion in 2018, 224 academics signed an open letter giving their "full support to the students" attending the School Strike for Climate action. Then, on Friday 15 February, more than 60 actions in towns and cities within the United Kingdom took place, with an estimated 000 strikers taking part. 15
On 21 February 2019, the European Union chief executive, Jean-Claude Juncker, stated intent to spend hundreds of billions of euros on climate change mitigation, amounting to a fourth of the EU budget. He announced this in a speech next to Greta Thunberg, and media credited the school strike movement with this announcement.
On 5 March 2019, 700 German researchers signed a petition in support of the school strikes in that country. This was followed by researchers in Finland signing a letter, on 11 March 2019, supporting the strikes. 1200
On 15 March 2019, school strikes, urging adults to take responsibility and stop the climate change, began taking place in over 2000 cities worldwide. An estimated 1.4 million pupils, from every continent, not including Antarctica, participated in the events.
Global Climate Strike for Future
We, the young, are deeply concerned about our future. […] We are the voiceless future of humanity. We will no longer accept this injustice. […] We finally need to treat the climate crisis as a crisis. It is the biggest threat in human history and we will not accept the world's decision-makers' inaction that threatens our entire civilisation. […] Climate change is already happening. People did die, are dying and will die because of it, but we can and will stop this madness. […] United we will rise until we see climate justice. We demand the world's decision-makers take responsibility and solve this crisis. You have failed us in the past. If you continue failing us in the future, we, the young people, will make change happen by ourselves. The youth of this world has started to move and we will not rest again.
The day of the Global Climate Strike for the Future was to be the most widespread of strikes, with tens of thousands of children in at least 100 countries and over 35 US states walking out of school, supported by some of the world's biggest environmental groups. Leading up to the strike, the website FridaysForFuture.org lists 1659 events planned in 106 countries.[timeframe?]
In Scotland, city councils of Glasgow, Edinburgh, Highland and Fife gave permission for children to attend the strikes. In Finland parental consent letters were sent to schools and in the Finnish city of Turku the school board proclaimed that children had a constitutional right to take part in the strikes.
On the morning of 15 March in a Guardian guest editorial, titled "Think we should be at school? Today’s climate strike is the biggest lesson of all", school-climate-strikers Thunberg, Anna Taylor, Luisa Neubauer, Kyra Gantois, Anuna De Wever, Adélaïde Charlier, Holly Gillibrand and Alexandria Villasenor, reiterated their reasons for striking.
An estimated number of more than a million people in ca. 125 countries demonstrated at about 2000 events worldwide. According to organizers, events took place in about 125 countries. In Germany, more than 000 pupils demonstrated in some 230 cities with more than 300000 in Berlin alone. 25 In Italy more than 000 students demonstrated, 200000 only in 100Milan according to the organizers. In Montreal more than 150 000 attended, Stockholm 000 to 15000, Melbourne 20000, Brussels 30000, Munich 30, Paris, London, Washington, Reykjavík, Oslo, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Tokyo. 8000
Support from scientists
In early February 2019, 350 Dutch scientists signed an open letter in support of the school strikes in the Netherlands. The letter reads "On the basis of the facts supplied by climate science, the campaigners are right. That is why we, as scientists, support them."
On 14 March 2019, the Club of Rome issued an official statement in support of Thunberg and the strikes, urging governments across the world to respond to this call for action and cut global carbon emissions.
Reactions by school principals and politicians
The strikes have also been criticised as truancy. Prime Minister Theresa May of the United Kingdom criticised the strikes as wasting lesson and teaching time. Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison called for "more learning and less activism" following the strikes. Australia's Education Minister Dan Tehan suggested that if school students feel strongly about a cause, then they should protest in their own time in the evenings or on weekends.
In New Zealand, there was mixed response from politicians, community leaders, and schools. Students were threatened to be marked as truant by some principals for attending the strike without their parents' or schools' permission. Judith Collins, and several other Members of Parliament were dismissive of the impact of the strike, while Climate Change Minister James Shaw expressed support noting that little attention would be paid to marchers protesting on the weekend.
On 15 March, the UN General Secretary António Guterres embraced the strikers, admitting that "My generation has failed to respond properly to the dramatic challenge of climate change. This is deeply felt by young people. No wonder they are angry." Guterres has already invited world leaders to a UN summit in September 2019 to commit themselves more strongly to the policy framework laid out by the Paris Agreement.
List of school climate strikes by country
|Sweden||Stockholm||20 August 2018||1||Daily until 9 September 2018, then every Friday, started by Greta Thunberg|
|Netherlands||The Hague||4 September 2018||1–5||1–5 participants, Daily until 21 September 2018, in front of the House of Representatives|
|Germany||Berlin||14 September 2018||In front of the Bundestag each Friday since this date, originally initiated by cultural manager and activist Barbara Fischer|
|Netherlands||Zeist||21 September 2018||1||10-year-old Lilly Platt has been on strike with Thunberg and criticised the Australian prime minister.|
|Canada||Sudbury, Ontario||2 November 2018||1||6th grader Sophia Mathur begins weekly strikes|
|Australia||Multiple cities||28 November 2018||1700||Participants includued 200 outside parliament in Canberra. Australian Senate had approved motion to support the student action on 27 November 2018.|
|Australia||30 locations||30 November 2018||00015||Named 'Strike for Climate Action'|
|Canada||Vancouver||7 December 2018||50|||
|England (United Kingdom)||London||7 December 2018||12|||
|Germany||Berlin, Göttingen, Hamburg, Kiel, Köln, Karlsruhe||14 December 2018||Several dozens of participants in Hamburg, 150 pupils in Berlin, unknown number in other cities. Named Fridays for Future: Klimastreik'|
|Switzerland||Zurich||14 December 2018||500|||
|USA||New York||14 December 2018||1||US student Alexandria Villasenor begins weekly Friday picketing at the United Nations|
|Switzerland||Basel, Bern, St. Gallen, Zürich||21 December 2018||4000||Named Klimastreik in German and grève du climat in French|
|England (United Kingdom)||Corsham||21 December 2018||4||Ellida Dilley was directly inspired by Thunberg|
|USA||Denver, Colorado and New York City||4 January 2019||3||Haven Coleman begins Friday protests in Denver; Zayne Cowie continues at NY city hall; Villasenor continues at UN HQ.|
|Belgium||Brussels||10 January 2019||3000||The Belgium movement 'Youth for Climate' organises strikes on Thursdays|
|Finland||Helsinki||11 January 2019||Hundreds||"Hundreds" of participants. Named Ilmastolakko / Klimatstrejk|
|Canada||Waterloo||11 January 2019||30||First "Fridays for Future" strike for Waterloo|
|Scotland (United Kingdom)||Fort William||11 January 2019||1||13-year-old Holly Gillibrand is also an Extinction Rebellion activist|
|Ireland||Cork||11 January 2019||1||Started with one student, Saoi O'Connor, and has steadily been gaining support since her first strike, alone, in early January.|
|Belgium||Brussels and Antwerp||17 January 2019||75012|||
|Switzerland||15 locations||18 January 2019||00022|| Nobel laureate Jacques Dubochet joined the demonstration in Lausanne|
|Germany||50 locations||18 January 2019||00025||Fridays for Future Germany|
|Belgium||Brussels||24 January 2019||00035|| Activists gathered around the European Parliament|
|Switzerland||Davos||25 January 2019||30||With Greta Thunberg, who was invited to the World Economic Forum|
|Germany||Berlin||25 January 2019||00010||Fridays for Future Germany|
|Belgium||Brussels||27 January 2019||00070||related more general demonstration for climate|
|Belgium||Liège, Brussels, Leuven, Charleroi, Chimay, Tournai||31 January 2019||00033||The city of Liège supports it and accepts absence of students on this day|
|Germany||25 locations||1 February 2019||00012|| Fridays for Future Germany|
|Switzerland||13 locations||2 February 2019||00065|| Demonstration on Saturday, organised by the 'Climate Strike' movement|
|Netherlands||The Hague, Groningen||7 February 2019||000- 1000030|||
|Belgium||Leuven, Brussels, Arlon, Antwerp, Kortrijk, Hasselt, Herve, Mons, Liège||7 February 2019||00020|||
|Germany||50 locations||8 February 2019||00021||pupils in Flensburg (organized by 18-year old Jakob Blasel), 1000 pupils in Regensburg, 1000 in Passau, 200 in Landau, 1500 in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, 1300 130 in Halle, etc.|
|Austria||Salzburg||8 February 2019||100|||
|France||Nantes||8 February 2019||150||First School Strike for Climate in France|
|Ireland||Dublin||13 February 2019||400||Organised by sixth-class students from Donabate Portrane Educate Together|
|Netherlands||Multiple cities||14 February 2019||100–500||100–500 participants, Both high-school students and undergraduate students participating. Weekly in Amsterdam, Nijmegen and Groningen|
|Belgium||Brussels||14 February 2019||00011|||
|Canada||Montreal||15 February 2019||Hundreds|||
|France||Paris||15 February 2019||1000||First School Strike for Climate in Paris|
|Germany||Over 35 locations||15 February 2019||00026|||
|Italy||Bolzano||15 February 2019||4000|||
|UK||60 locations||15 February 2019||00015|| Coordinated by Youth Strike 4 Climate|
|USA||Denver, Colorado; Tisbury Massachusets; New York||15 February 2019||9||In NY, Villasenor joined by other students for first time; In CO Coleman continues solo strikes. In Tisbury MA, brothers Runar Finn (11) and Odin Robinson (9).|
|Belgium||Brussels, Ghent, Genk, Turnhout||21 February 2019||50015||Thunberg joined the Brussels strike after addressing the EU.|
|Ireland||Dublin, Cork, and Maynooth||22 February 2019||100||weekly strikes continuing, with action at Dáil Éireann attended by about 100|
|Belgium||Antwerp, Huy, Brussels, Mechelen, Dinant, Liège||28 February 2019||50012||Thunberg joined the Antwerp strike.|
|Norway||Multiple locations||1 March 2019||Thousands||"Thousands" in first widespread school strike in Norway|
|Canada||Sudbury, Ontario||1 March 2019||12||Strikers win letter of support from 80 staff and faculty at Laurentian University|
|Iceland||Reykjavík||1 March 2019||200||The second strike in Iceland since 22 February.|
|Belgium||Louvain-La-Neuve, Antwerpen, Mechelen||7 March 2019||3900||3900 to 4200 strikers in Louvain-la-Neuve and 250 demonstrators in Antwerpen.|
|Iceland||Reykjavík||8 March 2019||400||The third strike in Iceland since 22 February. It took place at Austurvöllur|
|Netherlands||Amsterdam||14 March 2019||6000|||
|New Zealand||Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch, Dunedin, and others||15 March 2019||Thousands including 2,000 at New Zealand Parliament||Strikers win the support of Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, Minister for Climate Change James Shaw, Greens Co-Leader Marama Davidson, and the mayor of Auckland, Phil Goff. The rally in Christchurch at Cathedral Square ended early due to nearby Christchurch mosque shootings|
|Australia||Nationwide||15 March 2019||000150||Estimated 000 students in 20Sydney, 000 students in 10Brisbane|
|Japan||Tokyo||15 March 2019||100|||
|China||Hong Kong||15 March 2019||About 1000||Students marched to the Central Government Offices|
|Thailand||Bangkok||15 March 2019||30-60||Led by 11-year-old Lily|
|India||Hyderabad, Delhi, Gurgaon||15 March 2019||1200+||300-700 strike in Hyderabad at the Kasu Brahmananda Reddy National Park, 500 in Delhi and 400 in Gurgaon|
|Ukraine||Nationwide||15 March 2019||100|||
|Cyprus||Nicosia||15 March 2019||Hundreds|||
|Greece||Mainly in Athens and Thessaloniki||15 March 2019||At least 500|||
|Finland||Helsinki||15 March 2019||3000|||
|Sweden||Stockholm||15 March 2019||7000|||
|Iceland||Reykjavík||15 March 2019||1000||The fourth strike in Iceland since 22 February.|
|Latvia||Riga||15 March 2019||Hundreds|||
|Poland||Warsaw and nationwide||15 March 2019||Hundreds||200 participants in Katowice according to the Police and hundreds in Warsaw|
|Czech Republic||Praha, Brno, Liberec||15 March 2019||1000+||first Czech climate strike|
|Slovakia||Bratislava||15 March 2019||1000|||
|Croatia||Zagreb & Split||15 March 2019||2000||1000 in Zagreb and 1000 in Split|
|Germany||Nationwide, 230 locations||15 March 2019||000300||Estimated 000 students in Berlin, 25000 nationwide 300|
|Denmark||Copenhagen||15 March 2019||Thousands|||
|Belgium||Nationwide||15 March 2019||00050||Estimated 000 students in Brussels 30|
|Luxembourg||Nationwide||15 March 2019||00015||Estimated 000 students in 15Luxembourg|
|France||Nationwide||15 March 2019||000168||Estimated between 000 and 29000 students in Paris (Police's estimation: 40000 vs. organizers' estimation: 29000.) 40|
|Austria||Nationwide||15 March 2019||00030||Estimated 500 students in 10Vienna|
|Switzerland||Nationwide, 20 locations||15 March 2019||00065||Estimated 000 participants in 65Switzerland (Organizer's estimation)|
|Italy||Nationwide, 235 locations||15 March 2019||000+ 200||Estimated 000 students in Milan, 100 000 in 50Naples, 000 in 30Rome, 000 in 20Turin, 000 in 10Florence and Genoa, in 3000Bergamo and Bologna, hundreds in other cities|
|United Kingdom||London, Bristol, Brighton and others||15 March 2019||000+ 10||Estimated 000 in London, thousands more in other cities 10|
|Ireland||Nationwide, 37 locations||15 March 2019||00016||Estimated 000 in Dublin and 11 in Cork. 5000|
|Portugal||Lisbon||15 March 2019||Thousands|||
|Spain||Madrid and nationwide||15 March 2019||Thousands|||
|South-Africa||Cape Town||15 March 2019||2000|||
|USA||Washington, D.C., Portland, Oregon, Cleveland, Ohio, and numerous other locations||15 March 2019||Thousands||Thousands of students marched through the streets in Portland|
|Canada||Montreal, Quebec City, Vancouver, Toronto, Kelowna, and other cities||15 March 2019||000+ 150||Thousands of students struck from school to protest their government's inaction against climate change. Estimated 000 students in Montreal only 150|
|Mexico||Mexico City||15 March 2019||800|||
|Uruguay||Montevideo||15 March 2019||Hundreds||at Palacio Legislativo|
|Argentina||Buenos Aires||15 March 2019||Hundreds|||
|Colombia||Bogota||15 March 2019||2500|||
|Chile||Santiago||15 March 2019||2000+|||
|Antarctica||Neumayer-Station III||15 March 2019||1||Alfred Wegener Institute|
|France||Paris||16 March 2019||000107||"Saturdays for Future" / "March du siècle"|
- Climate movement
- Climate justice
- Commission on Growth, Structural Change and Employment (Germany)
- Individual action on climate change
- Individual and political action on climate change
- List of rallies and protest marches in Washington, D.C.
- Barclay, Eliza (2019-03-15). "Photos: kids in 123 countries went on strike to protect the climate". Retrieved 2019-03-16.
- Crouch, David (1 September 2018). "The Swedish 15-year-old who's cutting class to fight the climate crisis". The Guardian. London, United Kingdom. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- Weyler, Rex (4 January 2019). "The youth have seen enough". Greenpeace International. Retrieved 22 January 2019.
- Climate Strike (1 March 2016). "Climate Strike 2015: Students Skip School demanding Climate Actions". YouTube. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "Climate Strike". Climatestrike.net. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- John, Tara (13 February 2019). "How teenage girls defied skeptics to build a new climate movement". CNN. Archived from the original on 28 February 2019. Retrieved 28 February 2019.
Anna […] Taylor, 17, has taken a leading role in organizing a protest that is expected to see hundreds of students walk out of class across the UK on Friday […] Youth Strike 4 Climate, is planned for more than 40 British towns and cities […] Taylor and co-organizer Vivien "Ivi" Hohmann
- "Teen activist on climate change: If we don't do anything right now, we're screwed". CNN. 23 December 2018. Retrieved 10 February 2019.
- "The Guardian view on teenage activists: protesters not puppets – Editorial". The Guardian. 7 February 2019. Retrieved 11 February 2019.
- "The Fifteen-Year-Old Climate Activist Who Is Demanding a New Kind of Politics". The New Yorker. 2 October 2018.
- "'Our leaders are like children,' school strike founder tells climate summit". The Guardian. 4 December 2018.
- Wilkinson, Bard (30 November 2018). "Australian school children defy prime minister with climate strike". CNN. Archived from the original on 28 February 2019.
Organizers estimated around 15,000 left their classrooms in 30 locations across the country, including Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth […] Friday's protests followed similar protests in Canberra and Hobart earlier this week. […] Central Victoria pupils […] Harriet O'Shea Carre and Milou Albrecht, both 14, penned a call to arms asking fellow school children to join them in protest […] 17-year-old Ruby Walker, a protesting pupil from the state of New South Wales. […] Jean Hinchcliffe, a pupil who spoke at the Sydney rally […] 14-year-old
- "FridaysforFuture Vienna". Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- Larsen, Karin (7 December 2018). "Metro Vancouver students cut class to demand action on climate change". CBC News.
- "More than 1,000 Swiss pupils strike over climate". Swissinfo. 21 December 2018.
- Gueissaz, Rouven (22 December 2018). "La "grève du climat" rassemble des centaines d'étudiants alémaniques". RTS Info (in French).
["Climate strike" brings together hundreds of German-speaking students]
- "Klimatmanifestation över hela landet: "Ödesfråga"". Expressen (in Swedish). 30 November 2018.
- Conley, Julia (17 January 2010). ""I'm Sure Dinosaurs Thought They Had Time, Too': Over 12,000 Students Strike in Brussels Demanding Bold Climate Action". Common Dreams.
- Rippstein, Julia (18 January 2019). "En Suisse, l'heure de l'urgence climatique a sonné". Le Temps (in French).
Ce mouvement d’ampleur nationale a vu 22 000 gymnasiens, apprentis et étudiants crier à l’urgence climatique dans les rues de Lausanne, Fribourg ou Saint-Gall au lieu d’aller en classe. [This nationwide movement saw 000 high-schoolers, apprentices and students shouting at the climatic emergency in the streets of Lausanne, Friborg or St. Gallen instead of going to class.] 22
- "Les jeunes se sont mobilisés pour le climat un peu partout en Suisse" (in French). Radio Télévision Suisse. 18 January 2019.
En tout, une quinzaine de villes participent à cette action. [In all, about fifteen cities participate in this action.]
- Hendrischke, Maria (18 January 2019). "Schüler streiken für Klimaschutz: "It's our fucking future"" [Pupils strike for climate protection] (in German). Mitteldeutscher Rundfunk (MDR). Archived from the original on 18 February 2019.
Am Freitag haben Kinder und Jugendliche in mehr als 50 Städten in ganz Deutschland protestiert. Etwa 25.000 junge Menschen sind nach Angaben von Fridays for Future bundesweit auf die Straßen gegangen. Halle war die einzige Stadt in Sachsen-Anhalt, die sich an der Demo beteiligt hat.
- "Ragna, Linus, Ronja und Florian: Sie schwänzen den Unterricht, um die Welt zu retten". Stern (in German). 30 January 2019.
- "The grown-ups have failed miserably on climate change". The Independent. 14 February 2019.
- Boffey, Daniel (5 February 2019). "Belgian minister resigns over school-strike conspiracy claims". The Guardian. London, United Kingdom. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 5 February 2019.
- "School climate strike children's brave stand has our support". The Guardian. 13 February 2019. Retrieved 13 February 2019.
- Taylor, Matthew (13 February 2019). "Academics back UK schools' climate change strikes". The Guardian. Retrieved 13 February 2019.
- Taylor, Matthew (8 February 2019). "UK pupils to join global strike over climate change crisis". The Guardian. Retrieved 11 February 2019.
- "Schoolchildren go on strike over climate change". BBC News. 15 February 2019. Retrieved 15 February 2019.
- Rahmstorf, Stefan (15 February 2019). "#FridaysForFuture — Schüler kämpfen für Klimaschutz" [#FridaysForFuture — Students fight for climate protection]. KlimaLounge (in German). Retrieved 19 February 2019.
Ich war von den Potsdamer Schülern eingeladen worden, auf der heutigen Demonstration vor dem Landtag ein paar Worte zu sagen. Diese Einladung habe ich gerne angenommen. [I had been invited by the Potsdam school pupils to say a few words at the demonstration today in front of the [Brandenburg] state parliament. I gladly accepted this invitation.]
- "Swedish student leader wins EU pledge to spend billions on climate". Reuters. 21 February 2019. Retrieved 11 March 2019.
- Maier, Jutta (5 March 2019). "700 Wissenschaftler und Prominente unterstützen Klimastreik" [700 scientists and prominent people support climate strike]. Der Tagesspiegel. Berlin, Germany. Retrieved 5 March 2019.
[Solidarity with student demonstrations: hundreds of researchers believe the protests are justified. In a petition they call for a quick change in climate policy.]
- "Yli 1200 tutkijaa tukee ilmastolakkoilevia nuoria: "Planeetan hyväksikäyttö on lastemme laiminlyöntiä"". Yle.fi. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- Glenza, Jessica; Evans, Alan; Ellis-Petersen, Hannah; Zhou, Naaman (15 March 2019). "Climate strikes held around the world – as it happened". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Archived from the original on 16 March 2019. Retrieved 2019-03-16.
Over 24 hours of climate action, organizers of the climate strike believe more than 1 million students skipped school on Friday or protest government inaction on climate change. From Australia and New Zealand, to Asia, Europe, Africa, North America and South America, students from all over the world took to the streets to demand change. Organizers said there were more than 2,000 protests in 125 countries.
- Taylor, Matthew; Neslen, Arthur; Brooks, Libby (2019-03-14). "Youth climate strikes to take place in more than 100 countries". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2019-03-17.
- Global coordination group of the youth-led climate strike (1 March 2019). "Climate crisis and a betrayed generation". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 1 March 2019. Retrieved 1 March 2019.
- Kaplan, Sarah (16 February 2019). "How a 7th-grader's strike against climate change exploded into a movement". Washington Post. Archived from the original on 23 February 2019. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- Beck, Luisa (15 February 2019). "'We don't have time anymore': In face of climate change, young people across Europe are protesting for their future". Washington Post. Archived from the original on 23 February 2019. Retrieved 23 February 2019.
- Carrington, Damian (1 March 2019). "Youth climate strikers: 'We are going to change the fate of humanity'". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 1 March 2019. Retrieved 1 March 2019.
- "Events list". FridaysForFuture.org. 1 March 2019. Archived from the original on 1 March 2019. Retrieved 1 March 2019.
- Seipel, Brooke (11 March 2019). "Thousands of Scottish students to be allowed to miss school to join climate protests". TheHill.com. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "Osa nuorista pelkää, uskaltaako perjantain ilmastolakkoon osallistua koulun asenteen takia: Näin rehtorit yrittävät suitsia lakkoilijoita". Yle.fi. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- "Turun koulutoimenjohtaja: "Ilmastolakko lapsen perustuslaillinen oikeus, ei voida kieltää"". Ts.fi. 14 March 2019. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- Thunberg, Greta; Taylor, Anna; Neubauer, Luisa; Gantois, Kyra; De Wever, Anuna; Charlier, Adélaïde; Gillibrand, Holly; Villasenor, Alexandria (15 March 2019). "Think we should be at school? Today's climate strike is the biggest lesson of all". The Guardian. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- Staude, Jens (2019-03-15). "300.000 bei "Fridays for Future" in Deutschland" [000 at "Fridays for Future" in Germany]. Klimareporter (in German). 300Archived from the original on 2019-03-15. Retrieved 2019-03-15.
- "Klima-Demos - von Berlin bis Sydney" [Climate demos from Berlin to Sydney]. tagesschau.de (in German). 15 March 2019. Archived from the original on 16 March 2019. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
#Fridaysforfuture mobilisierte auch in Deutschland Hunderttausende Menschen. Bundesweit waren 220 Proteste angekündigt, an denen sich laut Veranstaltern rund 300.000 Menschen beteiligten. Die meisten Teilnehmer gab es bei der Demonstration in Berlin, wobei die Angaben über die Teilnehmerzahl schwanken. Die Polizei zählte bis zu 20.000 Menschen, die bei dem Zug mitliefen. In München kamen nach Behördenangaben rund 10.000 Teilnehmer zusammen, 6000 versammelten sich in Frankfurt am Main. Auch in anderen Städten wie Köln, Bremen, Hannover und Nürnberg wurde protestiert. [#Fridaysforfuture also mobilized hundreds of thousands of people in Germany. Nationwide 220 protests were announced, in which, according to organizers, about 000 people participated. Most participants were at the demonstration in Berlin, for which the information on the number of participants varies. The police counted up to 300000 people walking along the march. In Munich, according to authorities, about 20000 participants came together, 10 gathered in Frankfurt am Main. Protests also happened in other cities such as Cologne, Bremen, Hanover and Nuremberg.] 6000
- "350 scientists back Dutch school kids climate demonstration". DutchNews.nl. DutchNews. 7 February 2019. Retrieved 9 February 2019.
- Nehls, Anja (12 March 2019). "Scientists4Future - Wissenschaftler unterstützen Schülerdemos für den Klimaschutz" (in German). Deutschlandfunk. Archived from the original on 16 March 2019. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- Rahmsdorf, Stefan (15 March 2019) [12 March 2019]. "12 000 Wissenschaftler stellen sich hinter die streikenden Schüler". scilogs.spektrum.de (in German). Archived from the original on 16 March 2019. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
Update 15.3.: wir haben noch bis gestern Abend weiter gesammelt – ein paar Tage mehr und jetzt haben schon mehr als 23 000 Forscher unterschrieben!
- Hagedorn, Gregor; Göpel, Maja; Quaschning, Volker; Wiltshire, Karen Helen (12 March 2019). "Pressemitteilung für Deutschland der Initiative Scientists for Future" (in German). Berlin, Germany. Archived from the original on 16 March 2019. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- dpa (15 March 2019). "Schüler in über 100 Staaten demonstrieren für mehr Klimaschutz". Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ) (in German). Archived from the original on 16 March 2019. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- Alao, Ayo S.; et al. (14 March 2019). "Statement in support of global student climate protests" (PDF). Club of Rome. Retrieved 18 March 2019.
- McGuinness, Alan (15 February 2019). "Theresa May criticises pupils missing school to protest over climate change". sky news. Sky UK. Retrieved 12 March 2019.
- "Scott Morrison, student climate strike: PM calls for 'less activism in schools'". www.news.com.au. Retrieved 2019-03-16.
- "'Worse than Voldemort': Global students' strike targets climate change". 15 March 2019 – via www.reuters.com.
- Woolf, Amber-Leigh; Redmond, Adele (7 March 2019). "Students who strike for climate change will be marked as truants, principals say". climate news. Stuff Limited. Retrieved 12 March 2019.
- "'Not going to help the world one bit' Judith Collins says as MPs voice opinions about school students' climate change protest". TVNZ. Retrieved 2019-03-16.
- "Telling students whether to take part in climate change strike 'patronising', Shaw says". Stuff. Retrieved 2019-03-16.
- "Student climate change strike: Rules don't matter when you're fighting for your future". Stuff. Retrieved 2019-03-16.
- António Guterres (15 March 2019). "The climate strikers should inspire us all to act at the next UN summit". The Guardian. Retrieved 18 March 2019.
- Landeweer, Maja (13 September 2018). "Scholieren spijbelen voor het klimaat: 'Boeit onze toekomst je iets?'". Algemeen Dagblad (in Dutch). Retrieved 26 January 2019.
Een groepje van vijf scholieren, tussen de 15 en 17 jaar, zit met gekruiste benen op straat, recht voor de ingang van de Tweede Kamer. [A group of five students, aged between 15 and 17, is sitting cross-legged on the street, right in front of the House of Representatives.]
- Schulz, Annika (14 December 2018). "Proteste vor dem Bundestag – Schüler demonstrieren in Berlin gegen den Klimawandel" [Protests in front of the Bundestag – Pupils demonstrate in Berlin against the climate change]. Tagesspiegel (in German). Archived from the original on 20 February 2019. Retrieved 20 February 2019.
Bereits seit September dieses Jahres hatte eine kleine Gruppe Erwachsener regelmäßig vor dem Bundestag für den Klimaschutz demonstriert. In jeder Wetterlage standen sie mit einem schwarz eingefärbtem Eisbärstofftier und Plakaten freitags auf dem Platz. Der Anstoß kam von Kulturmanagerin und Aktivistin Barbara Fischer, welche einige Freunde von der Initiative überzeugen konnte. […] Mit der wachsenden Bekanntheit von Greta und der "Freitagsbewegung" auf Twitter und Facebook wuchs die Gruppe stetig. Mittlerweile sind die meisten Demonstranten Schüler.
- Herbert, Megan (16 November 2018). "5 things I learned from a 10-year-old climate activist". Medium.com. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- "Young Environmental Activist Voices Support for Australian Students Striking Over Climate Change". uk.news.yahoo.com. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- Carmichael, Harold (2 March 2019). "Sudbury Prosthetic & Orthotic Design Sudbury Prosthetic & Orthotic Design Students garner support for action on climate change". Sudbury Star. Retrieved 2 March 2019.
- Zhou, Naaman (28 November 2018). "Hundreds of students striking over climate change descend on parliament". The Guardian. Retrieved 14 January 2019.
- Albeck-Ripka, Livia (30 November 2018). "Climate change protest draws thousands of Australian students". The New York Times. Retrieved 15 January 2019.
- Zhou, Naaman (30 November 2018). "Climate change strike: thousands of school students protest across Australia". The Guardian. Retrieved 14 January 2019.
- "London School Strike for Climate action". Realmedia.press. 7 December 2018.
- lno (14 December 2018). "Schüler in Hamburg «streiken» für bessere Klimapolitik" [Hamburg pupils strike for better climate politics]. Die Welt (in German). Archived from the original on 18 February 2019. Retrieved 15 January 2019.
Dutzende Schüler sind in Hamburg am Freitag dem Unterricht ferngeblieben, um in der Innenstadt für eine bessere Klimapolitik zu demonstrieren. Mit Transparenten versammelten sie sich […] und forderten den Kohleausstieg und «stabiles Klima für stabile Zukunft». Die Kundgebung war Teil der Schulstreik-Kampagne #FridaysForFuture. In mehreren deutschen Städten – darunter Berlin, Kiel, Göttingen und Köln – hatten Schüler […] Proteste organisiert.
- Zünd, Céline (11 January 2019). "En Suisse, les étudiants appellent à une grève pour le climat". Le Temps (in French). Retrieved 14 January 2019.
Une première action a drainé entre 400 et 500 personnes dans les rues de Zurich le vendredi 14 décembre dernier. Une semaine plus tard, les rangs des manifestations avaient enflé pour atteindre quelque 4000 participants entre Bâle, Berne, Zurich et Saint-Gall, selon les estimations. [A first action brought between 400 and 500 people on the streets of Zurich on Friday 14 December. A week later, the ranks of the demonstrations had swelled to reach some participants between Basel, Bern, Zurich and St. Gallen, according to estimates.] 4000
- Kahn, Brian (1 February 2019). "Students Are Preparing for the First Major US Climate Strike Next Month". Earther.gizmodo.com. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- Horvat, Srećko (6 February 2019). "The children skipping school aren't ruining the planet – you are | Srećko Horvat". The Guardian. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- Singleton, Sarah (2 January 2019). "School pupils on strike to press for action on climate change". The Wiltshire Gazette and Herald. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- First-Arai, Leanna (18 February 2019). "Sierra Magazine". Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- Hsu, Jennifer (2 March 2019). "Passionate Young Protesters Are Leading A Growing Climate Change Strike Movement In NYC". Gothamist.
- "Les élèves en « grève scolaire » autorisés à marcher une nouvelle fois pour le climat". Le Soir (in French). 14 January 2019. Retrieved 14 January 2019.
Jeudi passé, quelque 3.000 élèves ont fait l’école buissonnière pour manifester leur souhait d’une politique plus ambitieuse en matière climatique. [Last Thursday, some students skipped school to express their desire for a more ambitious climate policy.] 3000
- Takala, Anna (11 January 2019). "Aikuisten saamattomuuteen tuskastuneet nuoret lakkoilivat ilmaston puolesta, Eduskuntatalolla parveili satoja nuoria – "Tässä on meidän tulevaisuudesta kyse"". Helsingin Sanomat (in Finnish). Retrieved 15 January 2019.
Satoja nuoria kokoontui eduskuntatalolle [Hundreds of young people gathered at the Parliament House]
- Shetty, Aastha (11 January 2019). "Children and youth strike against climate change in Waterloo Region". Kitchener Today. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- Henderson, Michelle (12 January 2019). "Fort William student goes on strike for action against climate change". Press and Journal. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- Vicky, Allan (30 December 2018). "Youth roar: What the young would change in 2019". Herald Scotland. Retrieved 22 January 2019.
- Laville, Sandra (8 February 2019). "'I feel very angry': the 13-year-old on School Strike for Climate action". The Guardian. Retrieved 11 February 2019.
- O'Sullivan, Kevin (7 March 2019), "School students lay out climate demands in Leinster House – Six demands outlined at informal meeting with more than 20 Senators and TDS", The Irish Times, archived from the original on 10 March 2019, retrieved 10 March 2019,
Saoi O’Connor (16) from west Cork, who has been protesting outside Cork City Hall every Friday for the past two months, said: “We need you to know, if you don’t act now, you will be complicit. We don’t want a pat on the head. We want change.
- "Climate change: Belgium students skip school to demand action". BBC News. 17 January 2019.
- Schepens, Wim (17 January 2019). "12.500 klimaatspijbelaars betogen voor de tweede keer voor een bindend klimaatplan". De Redactie (in Dutch). Retrieved 17 January 2019.
Volgens de politie van Brussel waren er maar liefst 12.500 deelnemers. [According to the Brussels police, there were no less than 500 participants.] 12
- "12,200+ Belgian Students Skip School to Demand Climate Action". EcoWatch.com. 18 January 2019. Retrieved 20 January 2019.
- "Thousands skip school to protest climate change at march in Brussels". The Independent. UK. 17 January 2019. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- "Swiss youths strike for climate protection". Swissinfo.ch. Retrieved 20 January 2019.
- "'There is no planet B': Swiss students stage strikes". RTE News, Ireland. 18 January 2019. Retrieved 21 January 2019.
- "Ongeziene opkomst: 35.000 spijbelende jongeren trekken door Brussel voor derde klimaatbetoging". Hln.be (in Dutch). 24 January 2019. Retrieved 24 January 2019.
- "35,000 play truant for the climate". Vrtnws.be. 24 January 2019. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- Anastasio, Mauro (24 January 2019). "'We are the generation that has to deal with this damage' – 32,000 join Belgian school strike". Metamag.org. Retrieved 24 January 2019.
- Clare, Roth; Salhi, Farah (24 January 2019). "Belgian students skip school for mass anti-pollution protest". reuters.com. Reuters. Retrieved 24 January 2019.
- "'Our house is on fire': Greta Thunberg, 16, urges leaders to act on climate". The Guardian. 25 January 2019. Retrieved 25 January 2019.
- "Gekommen fürs Klima – und für Greta" [Come to support the climate – and Greta] (in German). Schweizer Radio und Fernsehen. 25 January 2019. Retrieved 25 January 2019.
Zusammen mit rund drei Dutzend anderen Schülern will sich Laura für Klimaschutz einsetzen. [Together with about three dozen other students, Laura wants to engage into climate protection.]
- "Schüler-Demo „Fridays for Future" „Wir sind richtig viele, es geht richtig los"" [Pupil's demo "Fridays for Future": "We are many, and that's only the beginning"]. Berliner Zeitung (in German). 25 January 2019. Archived from the original on 27 February 2019. Retrieved 25 January 2019.
Die Organisatoren sprachen von einigen tausend Demonstranten, von der Polizei gab es zunächst keine Angaben.
- "Mehrere tausend Schüler streiken in Berlin für den Klimaschutz" [Several thousand pupils in Berlin strike for climate protection]. Der Tagesspiegel (in German). 25 January 2019. Archived from the original on 27 February 2019. Retrieved 25 January 2019.
Die bislang größte Jugend-Demonstration zum Klimaschutz in Deutschland führte vom Bundeswirtschaftsministerium, wo am Freitag die Kohlekommission tagte, zum Bundeskanzleramt und zurück. Laut Veranstaltern beteiligten sich rund 10.000 junge Menschen am Demonstrationszug bis in den Nachmittag; die Polizei sprach von etwa 5.000 Teilnehmern.
- Ya, Sui Xin (31 January 2019). "Zehntausende Schüler bei Klimastreik in Belgien" (in German). Retrieved 17 March 2019.
Wie in anderen europäischen Ländern demonstrieren in Belgien wöchentlich Schüler während der Unterrichtszeit. Sie wollen mehr Engagement gegen die globale Erwärmung. Vor einer Woche waren es allein in Brüssel 32'000 gewesen. Zu einer weiteren Klimaschutz-Demonstration am Sonntag kamen rund 70'000 Menschen zusammen.
- "Près de 33.000 jeunes marchent pour le climat en Belgique" [Nearly 000 young people march for climate in Belgium]. 33Le Vif/L'Express (in French). 31 January 2019. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
La Ville de Liège avait manifesté son soutien en soulignant qu'aucun élève absent ce jour ne serait sanctionné. [The City of Liège had expressed its support by pointing out that no student absent that day would be sanctioned.]
- Agence France-Presse (1 February 2019). "Erneut tausende Jugendliche bei bundesweiten Schulstreiks für mehr Klimaschutz" [Thousands of pupils again participate in nationwide school strikes for better climate protection]. Yahoo! News (in German). Retrieved 7 February 2019.
Nach Angaben der Organisatoren des Aktionsnetzwerks Fridays for Future versammelten sich in mehr als 25 Städten über 12.000 junge Menschen zu Protesten [According to the organizers of the action network Fridays for Future, more than 000 young people gathered in more than 25 cities for protests.] 12
- Watts, Jonathan (15 February 2019). "'The beginning of great change': Greta Thunberg hails school climate strikes". The Guardian. Retrieved 15 February 2019.
- Swiss Telegraphic Agency (2 February 2019). "En Suisse, toutes les générations défilent pour le climat". Le Temps (in French).
Solothurn 800, Friborg 2,500
- "Zehntausende gehen für Klimaschutz auf die Strasse" [Ten-thousands in the streets for climate protection] (in German). Schweizer Radio und Fernsehen. 2 February 2019.
Zurich 10,000–15,000, Bern 1,500–2,000, Lucerne 2,000, Basel 1,000–4,000, Lausanne 10,000, Bellinzona 850
- "Klimaatspijbelaars: 'Volgende week willen we jullie weer zien'". Nederlandse Omroep Stichting (in Dutch). 7 February 2019. Retrieved 7 February 2019.
De politie schat dat er zeker meer dan 10.000 scholieren hebben meegedaan aan het protest, de scholieren claimen zelf dat er 30.000 demonstranten meeliepen. [The police estimate that more than 000 pupils have participated in the protest, the students themselves claim that 10000 protesters are involved.] 30
- "Duizenden klimaatspijbelaars lopen protestmars door Den Haag". Nos.nl (in Dutch). Retrieved 9 February 2019.
[Thousands of climate truants are running protest march through The Hague]
- "D'Arlon à Anvers, en passant par Louvain, 20.000 jeunes ont marché pour le climat (photos et vidéos)". Le Soir (in French). 7 February 2019. Retrieved 7 February 2019.
[From Arlon to Antwerp, via Leuven, 000 young people marched for the climate.] 20
- ""Fridays for Future": 1.000 Demonstranten in Flensburg" [ demonstrants in Flensburg]. Ndr.de (in German). 1000NDR. Archived from the original on 27 February 2019. Retrieved 13 February 2019.
In Flensburg sind nach Informationen von NDR Schleswig-Holstein mehr als 1.000 Demonstrationsteilnehmer dabei. Mindestens 500 beteiligten sich laut Polizei in Rendsburg. Außerdem gab es kleinere Proteste in Kiel und Bad Segeberg. Ein Schüler aus Kronshagen, der 18 Jahre alte Jakob Blasel, gilt als einer der Hauptorganisatoren.
- "#FridaysForFuture: Tausende Schüler demonstrieren für das Klima" [Thousands of pupils demonstrate for the climate]. Br.de (in German). 8 February 2019. Archived from the original on 27 February 2019. Retrieved 13 February 2019.
In Regensburg demonstrierten rund 1.000 Teilnehmer. […] Etwa 1.500 Schülerinnen und Schüler sind in Passau auf die Straße gegangen. […] In Landau an der Isar sprach die Polizei von 200 Demonstranten. Den Schülern in Garmisch-Partenkirchen ist die Umwelt ebenfalls wichtig. Allerdings schwänzten sie dafür nicht, sondern 1.300 Jugendliche versammelten sich erst nach der sechsten Stunde zu einer Kundgebung auf dem Richard-Strauß-Platz.
- Möbius, Jan (8 February 2019). "130 Jugendliche demonstrieren für bessere Klimapolitik" [130 pupils demonstrate for better climate politics]. Städtische Zeitung Halle (in German). Archived from the original on 27 February 2019. Retrieved 13 February 2019.
Mehr als 130 Teilnehmer waren am Vormittag auf den Markt in Halle zu der Demonstration gegen die Zerstörung des Ökosystems gekommen.
- "Erfurt: Schüler-Demo stellt Klimapolitik schlechtes Zeugnis aus". Die Welt. 8 February 2019. Retrieved 13 February 2019.
- Klein, Susanne (10 February 2019). ""Ein Teilerfolg wäre ein Widerspruch in sich"". Süddeutsche Zeitung (in German). ISSN 0174-4917. Retrieved 13 February 2019.
- "Salzburg: Schüler demonstrieren für das Klima". Kleinezeitung.at (in German). 8 February 2019. Retrieved 13 February 2019.
Zur Demo angemeldet waren 30 Personen, schon kurz nach dem Start waren die Reihen der Protestierer auf fast 100 Menschen angewachsen [The demo was registered for 30 people, shortly after the start, the ranks of the protesters had grown to nearly 100 people.]
- Brigaudeau, Christel (14 February 2019). "Lycéens et étudiants français rejoignent la grève pour le climat".
[Nina, 15, who with two friends, Ambre and Louise, managed to mobilize nearly 150 students on 8 February in Nantes]
- Jaffrelot, Dylan (8 February 2019). "Nantes : plusieurs dizaines de jeunes rassemblés pour le climat".
- Devane, Michelle (13 February 2019). "School children protest outside Dail over climate change". www.msn.com. Press Association. Retrieved 13 February 2019.
- Baardemans, Walter (14 February 2019). "Geen Nijmegen aan zee: Studenten protesteren tegen klimaatbeleid". SAMbyHAN (in Dutch). Retrieved 16 February 2019.
Bijna honderd studenten trekken donderdag 14 februari in een klimaatprotest door zonnig Nijmegen. [Nearly one hundred students will participate in a climate protest by sunny Nijmegen on Thursday 14 February.]
- Lowie, Ewout (14 February 2019). "We vroegen klimaatdemonstranten in Amsterdam wat hun bord betekent". Vice (in Dutch). Retrieved 16 February 2019.
[We asked climate demonstrators in Amsterdam what their sign means]
- "Klimaatmars in Brussel brengt 11.000 jongeren op de been". De Morgen (in Dutch). 14 February 2019. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- "Première grève scolaire pour le climat à Montréal" (in French). lapresse.ca. 15 February 2019.
- Didelot, Nelly (15 February 2019). "Grève scolaire pour le climat : « En 2050, vous serez morts, pas nous ! »". Libération (in French). Retrieved 15 February 2019.
[The first French edition of the youth gathering for the climate brought together a thousand high school students and students… in Paris.]
- Taylor, Matthew; Laville, Sandra; Walker, Amy; Noor, Poppy; Henley, Jon (15 February 2019). "School pupils call for radical climate action in UK-wide strike". The Guardian. Retrieved 16 February 2019.
- "Diese Woche haben wir wieder zum #FridaysForFuture gestreikt. Heute waren wir deutschlandweit mehr als 26.000 junge Menschen in über 35 Städten. Auch in Großbritannien wurde gestreikt, dort waren heute zum ersten Streik bei @Strike4Youth über 15.000 Menschen gekommen". @FridayForFuture. Fridays For Future Germany. 15 February 2019. pic.twitter.com/LHoBSQIbr6. Retrieved 17 February 2019.
- "Tausende Schüler schwänzen für den Klimaschutz" (in German). Radiotelevisione Italiana. 15 February 2019. Retrieved 16 February 2019.
- Laville, Sandra; Noor, Poppy; Walker, Amy (15 February 2019). "'It is our future': children call time on climate inaction in UK". The Guardian. Retrieved 15 February 2019.
- Saltzberg, Rich (15 February 2019). "Robinson brothers ditch for climate action". MV Times.
- Carmichael, Lachlan (21 February 2019). "Climate activist Thunberg urges EU to double carbon reduction targets". news.yahoo.com. Retrieved 22 February 2019.
- "Swedish teen leads Belgian students on 7th climate march". Miami Herald. 21 February 2019. Retrieved 22 February 2019.
- O'Sullivan, Kevin (2 March 2019). "Irish children strike a climate blow: 'If we don't do this, we won't have a world'". Irish Times.
- "Anuna zet Bart De Wever op zijn plaats: "Hij heeft de boodschap niet begrepen"". Het Laatste Nieuws (in Dutch). 28 February 2019. Retrieved 28 February 2019.
- Berglund, Nina (1 March 2019). "School climate strikes spread". newsinEnglish.no.
- Ćirić, Jelena (7 March 2019). "Environment Minister Meets With Climate Strike Organisers". Iceland Review. Retrieved 18 March 2019.
- "3.900 klimaatbetogers in Louvain-la-Neuve, scholieren trotseren regen in Antwerpen en Mechelen" (in Dutch). De Morgen. 7 March 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Klimaatspijbelaars gaan verder tijdens vakantie: 3.900 betogers in Louvain-la-Neuve" (in Dutch). Het Laatste Nieuws. 7 March 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Climate strikes continue on Fridays in Reykjavik". Iceland Monitor. 14 March 2019. Retrieved 18 March 2019.
- Ástvaldsson, Jóhann Páll (15 March 2019). "Icelandic Youth Take Part In Global Youth Climate Strike". Iceland Review. Retrieved 18 March 2019.
- "Scholieren lopen tweede mars voor het klimaat in Amsterdam" (in Dutch). Nederlandse Omroep Stichting. 14 March 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Scholieren lopen tweede klimaatmars: 'Veel belangrijker dan school'" (in Dutch). AT5. 14 March 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- Forrester, Georgia (14 March 2019). "Climate change strike: This is why Kiwi kids are 'bunking' school". Stuff.co.nz. Archived from the original on 15 March 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- Longley, Mark; Ensor, Jamie (15 March 2019). "Live updates: New Zealand's school kids join global climate change strike". Newshub. Archived from the original on 15 March 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Live: Thousands of students protest against climate change". Radio New Zealand. 15 March 2019. Archived from the original on 15 March 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Climate change strike: Coverage of New Zealand students taking action against climate change". Stuff. 15 March 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Christchurch mosque attacks: Several dead after New Zealand shootings". BBC Asia. 15 March 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Thousands of students protest against climate change". Radio New Zealand. 15 March 2019. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- Singhal, Pallavi (15 March 2019). "'Don't want the earth to get hurt': 150,000 students strike". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- Oscar Grenfell (March 16, 2019). "Tens of thousands of Australian students join climate strike protest". World Socialist Web Site. Retrieved March 18, 2019.
- Ishii, Toru (2019-03-16). "Students march in Tokyo as part of global stand on climate woes". The Asahi Shimbun. Retrieved 2019-03-16.
- Xia, Andersen (15 March 2019). "Hong Kong students join global climate strike". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- Tun-atiruj, Choltanutkun (15 March 2019). "Bangkok students join worldwide march against climate change". BK Magazine. Retrieved 18 March 2019.
- "Bangkok students strike against climate change". The Nation. 15 March 2019. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- Rajasekhar, Paturi (16 March 2019). "Over 300 students skip school to join #ClimateStrike agitation". The Times of India. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- Rinku (2019-03-15). "Over 500 Delhi-NCR students join 'Fridays For Future' climate change protest". India Tribune. Retrieved 2019-03-17.
- Vogt, Jürgen; Bach, Harald; Kretschmar, Fabian; Braun, Michael; Mayroth, Natalie; Lee, Felix; Selle, Anett; Zylbersztajn, Daniel; Hahn, Dorothea; Balmer, Rudolf (2019-03-15). "Fridays for Future weltweit: Demo-Neulinge gegen Klimawandel". Die Tageszeitung (in German). ISSN 0931-9085. Retrieved 2019-03-17.
- ""Планети "Б" не існує": українська молодь влаштувала страйк за клімат". Rubryka.com (in Ukrainian). 15 March 2019. Retrieved 18 March 2019.
- "In Kyiv, young people made a strike on climate change". Glavcom. 15 March 2019.
- "In Kyiv, people joined the #ClimateStrike worldwide ecology campaign". Hromadske.ua. 15 March 2019.
- "Young people in Kyiv join Global Climate Strike". Unian.info. 15 March 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Οι νέοι της Κύπρου διαδήλωσαν έξω από τη Βουλή για την κλιματική αλλαγή (Φώτος & Βίντεο)" [Young Cypriots Demonstrate Outside Parliament on Climate Change (Photo & Video)]. newsbomb.com.cy (in Greek). 15 March 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Μην καταστρέφετε τον πλανήτη που θα κληρονομήσουμε!" [Do not ruin the planet we will inherit!]. Εφημερίδα των Συντακτών (in Greek). 15 March 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Finland's climate strike kids: "We're ruining this planet"". yle.fi. 15 March 2019.
- "Tusentals skolstrejkade för klimatet i Sverige". dn.se (in Northern Sami). 15 March 2019.
- "Hele wereld op straat voor klimaat". De Standaard (in Dutch). 15 March 2019.
- Brynjólfsson, Ari (16 March 2019). "Ungir mótmælendur hvorki hvattir né lattir" (in Icelandic). Vísir.is. Retrieved 18 March 2019.
- "Schoolchildren, students march in Riga against climate change". Xinhuanet. 15 March 2019. Retrieved 18 March 2019.
- Kalaus, Nadežda (15 March 2019). "Skolēni un studenti Rīgā vienojas akcijā pret klimata pārmaiņām" (in Latvian). Public Broadcasting of Latvia. Retrieved 18 March 2019.
- "Simtiem jauniešu Rīgā piedalās globālajā 'klimata streikā'". Delfi.lv (in Latvian). 15 March 2019. Retrieved 18 March 2019.
- "TSetki młodych ludzi na ulicach Katowic! Protest klimatyczny na rynku". slask.eska.pl (in Polish). 15 March 2019.
- "Uświadomić społeczeństwo". Strajk klimatyczny w Warszawie". rdc.pl (in Polish). 15 March 2019.
- "„Klima teď, škola potom." Tisíce studentů po celém světě i v Česku demonstrují za boj proti změnám klimatu" ["Climate now, school later." Thousands of students worldwide and in the Czech Republic demonstrated for the fight against climate change]. Aktuálně.cz (in Czech). 15 March 2019. Archived from the original on 15 March 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
[…] Tisíce studentů se v pátek zapojily do celosvětové stávky za důslednější ochranu klimatu a snižování emisí. Prahou prošlo více než dva tisíce středoškoláků, podobné akce se konaly v Liberci, Brně, Plzni, Českých Budějovicích, Karlových Varech, Rakovníku či Pelhřimově. […] [Thousands of students took part in a global strike on Friday for more consistent climate protection and emissions reduction. More than two thousand high school students passed through Prague, similar events took place in Liberec, Brno, Plzeň, České Budějovice, Karlovy Vary, Rakovník and Pelhřimov.]
- "Středoškoláci budou stávkovat za klima. Reakce politiků neodpovídá situaci, říkají" [High school students will strike for the climate. The reaction of politicians does not match the situation, they say]. Aktuálně.cz (in Czech). 22 February 2019. Archived from the original on 15 March 2019. Retrieved 22 February 2019.
- Andacký, Jozef (2019-03-15). "Zem je len jedna, neberte nám budúcnosť. Študenti štrajkovali za záchranu klímy". Trend. Retrieved 2019-03-16.
- "Prosvjedi mladih za klimu u više od 120 zemalja". Hrvatska radiotelevizija. 2019-03-15. Retrieved 2019-03-16.
- "Bis zu 20.000 Teilnehmer bei "Fridays for Future" in Berlin". rbb24.de (in German). 15 March 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Thousands of young Danes take part in climate strike at parliament". www.thelocal.dk. 15 March 2019.
- "Around 30,000 people march for climate in Brussels". The Brussels Times. 15 March 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "15 000 manifestants au Knuedler pour le climat". lessentiel.lu (in French). 15 March 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- Rich, David (15 March 2019). "Grève mondiale pour le climat : des dizaines de milliers d'étudiants mobilisés" [Global climate strike: tens of thousands of students mobilized]. France 24 (in French). Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Partout dans le monde, les jeunes interpellent leurs dirigeants sur le climat: «Agissez comme des adultes»". Le Soir (in French). 15 March 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Klima: 30.000 Schüler bei Mega-Demo". oe24.at (in German). 15 March 2019.
- "Für das Klima auf die Strasse – auch in der Schweiz". srf.ch (in German). 15 March 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- Davide, Banfo; Laura, Serloni; Corrado, Zunino (15 March 2019). "Clima, manifestazioni in tutto il mondo. Gli studenti invadono le piazze: "In Italia siamo un milione"" [Climate. Worldwide demonstrations. Pupils fill the quares: "We are one million in Italy"]. Repubblica.it (in Italian). Archived from the original on 16 March 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
A Milano, dove si contano quasi 100 mila persone, il percorso è stato deviato per arrivare in piazza Duomo e non più in piazza della Scala, troppo piccola per accogliere tutti. Diecimila a Firenze […] L'Italia, con 235 raduni organizzati, è il Paese più attivo, prima di Francia (216), Germania (199), Stati Uniti (168), Svezia (129) e Gran Bretagna (111).
- Sandra Laville, Matthew Taylor and Daniel Hurst (15 March 2019). "'It's our time to rise up': youth climate strikes held in 100 countries". The Guardian. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- O'Sullivan, Kevin (14 March 2019). "Thousands of Irish students join global climate change protest". The Irish Times. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- O Kelly, Emma (15 March 2019). "Students stage school strikes over climate change across country". Raidió Teilifís Éireann. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- O'Sullivan, Kevin; Roche, Barry; Dalton, Eoghan; Deegan, Gordon; Maguire, Stephen; Lucey, Anne (15 March 2019). "Thousands of students in Ireland join international climate change protests". The Irish Times. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- ""Não há planeta B": Milhares de estudantes gritam em Portugal pelo clima". www.sabado.pt (in Portuguese). 15 March 2019.
- "Students worldwide skip school to demand tough action on climate change". cbsnews. 15 March 2019.
- Rocha, Laura (2019-03-15). "Miles de jóvenes reclamaron acciones concretas de la clase política frente al cambio climático". Infobae. Retrieved 2019-03-17.
- Fortsch, Tristan (15 March 2019). "Photos: Students march through Portland streets to protest climate change". KATU. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- Stevenson, Verity (15 March 2019). "Tens of thousands rally in Montreal as part of international 'school strike' against climate change". CBC News. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- ""Ni un grado más, ni una especie menos", marchan en CD.MX. por el cambio climático". Cb televisión. 2019-03-16. Retrieved 2019-03-17.
- "Frente al Palacio Legislativo - En Uruguay también se manifestaron contra el cambio climático". Diario EL PAIS Uruguay (in Spanish). 15 March 2019. Archived from the original on 16 March 2019. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "La juventud argentina le exige al Gobierno que enfrente el cambio climático". Agencia EFE (in Spanish). 15 March 2019. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- AFP (15 March 2019). "[VIDEO] Más de 2 mil estudiantes se unen a la marcha mundial contra el cambio climático en Santiago". T13. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- "There Is No PLANet B - Stop Climate Change - Secure The Future Of Antarctica". 15 March 2019. Archived from the original on 16 March 2019. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Fridays for Future weltweit - Demo-Neulinge gegen Klimawandel". Die Tageszeitung (taz) (in German). 16 March 2019 [15 March 2019]. Archived from the original on 17 March 2019. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
- Ricard, Paul; Nedbaeva, Olga (16 March 2019). "La "Marche du siècle" fait le plein pour le climat et la "justice sociale"" (in French). Archived from the original on 17 March 2019. Retrieved 17 March 2019.
A Paris, cette "Marche du siècle" a rassemblé 45.000 personnes, selon un comptage indépendant pour un collectif de médias réalisé par le cabinet Occurrence. La préfecture de police a de son côté chiffré cette affluence à 36.000 manifestants à Paris et les organisateurs à 107.000.
Media related to School strikes for climate at Wikimedia Commons
- By country
- School Strike 4 Climate (Australia)
- Youth 4 Climate (Belgium)
- (in German) Fridays for Future (Germany)
- (in German) Klimastreik (Switzerland)
- Youth Strike 4 Climate (UK)
- Google map showing climate strikes worldwide