Luka Šulić in 2011
25 August 1987 |
Maribor, SR Slovenia, SFR Yugoslavia
Šulić was born in Maribor, SR Slovenia, SFR Yugoslavia. Šulić's father, Božo, is from Dubrovnik, Croatia, and his mother, Alja, is from Izola, Slovenia. His father is also a cellist, and many members of his family are associated with music.
Luka Šulić performs throughout the world combining solo classical performances and with the 2Cellos. He won series of top prizes at the prestigious international music competitions including first and special prize at the VII Lutosławski International Cello Competition in Warsaw (2009) , first prize at the European Broadcasting Union “New Talent” Competition (2006) and first prize at the Royal Academy of Music Patron’s Award in Wigmore Hall (2011).
He has given a number of solo and chamber music appearances in Europe, South America and Japan in major venues such as Wigmore Hall, Amsterdam Concertgebouw, Vienna Musikverein and Konzerthaus. As a soloist he appeared with orchestras such as Deutsche Radio Philharmonie, Australian Chamber Orchestra, Warsaw Philharmonic, Russian Symphony Orchestra and others.
Šulić began his musical education in Maribor when he was five years old. When he was fifteen, he became one of the youngest students ever to enter the Music Academy in Zagreb in the class of Professor Valter Dešpalj where he graduated aged only 18. He continued his education in Vienna with Professor Reinhard Latzko. Šulić finished his master's degree with Mats Lidstrom at the Royal Academy of Music in London in 2011.
His mainstream success started when he decided to join forces with his friend and a former cello rival Stjepan Hauser. In January 2011, they uploaded a cello version of “Smooth Criminal” by Michael Jackson onto YouTube. Within just a few weeks, their video went viral, receiving over 7 million views. This led to a record deal with Sony MASTERWORKS and an invitation to join Elton John on his worldwide tour.
In January 2012 they appeared as the special musical guests on Fox’s hit TV series Glee where they performed “Smooth Criminal” in the Michael Jackson tribute episode. This was the first time that an instrumental duo had performed on the show in a guest spot. The 2Cellos’ arrangement of the song, which featured actors Grant Gustin and Naya Rivera, debuted at #10 on the Billboard Hot 100 Digital Songs Chart and landed the 2Cellos album in the Top 100.
- "Violončelist Luka Šulič, zvezda na youtube". www.delo.si (in Slovenian). Delo.
- "Luka Šulić i Stjepan Hauser: Dečki od milijun dolara". www.gloria.com.hr (in Croatian). Gloria.
- "Luka Šulić virtuoz na violončelu; Pozdrav mojim Pilarima". www.dubrovacki.hr (in Croatian). Dubrovački vjesnik.
- "2Cellos join Elton John for Harrogate concert". www.harrogate-news.co.uk. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Luka Sulic Croatian cellist wins the first prize in Warszaw, Poland 2009". www.croatia.org. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Hrvatskom violončelistu 1. nagrada u Varšavi". www.slobodnadalmacija.hr (in Croatian). Slobodna Dalmacija.
- "New Talent - History of Prize Winners". www.ebu.ch. Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- www.wigmore-hall.org.uk http://web.archive.org/web/20120723065352/http://www.wigmore-hall.org.uk:80/whats-on/productions/royal-academy-of-music-patrons-award-prizewinners-recital-27853. Archived from the original on July 23, 2012. Missing or empty
- www.eventful.com http://www.eventful.com/amsterdam/events/peter-fancovic-luka-sulic-jelger-blanken-beethov-/E0-001-020456159-3. Missing or empty
- www.news.yahoo.com http://news.yahoo.com/crossover-classical-music-sensation-2cellos-play-yamaha-040452776.html. Missing or empty
- "On the Spring Board - Press Review of the EuroRadio Youth Concert". www.emcy.org.
- "Mladi violočelist Luka Šulić uz Australski komorni orkestar". www.vecernji.hr (in Croatian).
- "Koncert: LUKA ŠULIĆ (1987) – violončelo". www.matica.hr (in Croatian). Matica hrvatska.
- "Mariborski čelist bo z Eltonom Johnom nastopil tudi v Izoli". Radiotelevizija Slovenija (in Slovenian). MMC RTV Slovenija. 9 May 2011. Retrieved 10 June 2011.
- "2Cellos". www.yamaha.com.
- "VIDEO: Stjepan i Luka postali hit na YouTube u samo dva dana. I Hollywood je poludio za njima". www.jutarnji.hr (in Croatian). Jutarnji list.
- "Hrvatski čelisti hit na YouTubeu". www.jutarnji.hr (in Croatian). Jutarnji list.
- ""Smooth criminal" na violončelu hit na YouTubeu". www.novilist.hr (in Croatian). Novi list.
- www.sonymasterworks.com/ http://www.sonymasterworks.com/. Missing or empty
- www.online.wsj.com/ http://www.online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204542404577156802762808124.html. Missing or empty
- www.youtube.com/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wtBXkGrxws. Missing or empty
- www.youtube.com/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bZk5OJxaQ8. Missing or empty
- www.theaudioperv.com/ http://www.theaudioperv.com/2012/02/08/2cellos-smooth-criminal-27-leno/. Missing or empty
- www.tvtotal.prosieben.de/ http://www.tvtotal.prosieben.de/tvtotal/videos/player/?contentId=114114&initialTab=related. Missing or empty
- www.noise11.com/ http://www.noise11.com/news/2cellos-score-a-hit-from-glee-20120209. Missing or empty
- ""Smooth Criminal" Single Featuring 2Cellos and Glee's Grant Gustin and Naya Rivera Debuts At #10 on the Billboard Digital Songs Chart". Retrieved 21 April 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Luka Šulić.|