Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Laxman Utekar|
|Produced by||Dinesh Vijan|
|Written by||Rohan Shankar|
|Edited by||Manish Pradhan|
|Distributed by||AA Films|
|Box office||₹128.86 crore|
Luka Chuppi (transl. Hide and seek) is a 2019 Indian Hindi-language romantic comedy film directed by Laxman Utekar. Produced by Dinesh Vijan under Maddock Films, it stars Kartik Aaryan and Kriti Sanon and tells the story of a television reporter who cohabits with a headstrong woman. Chaos ensues when their traditional families assume them to be married to each other.
Principal photography for Luka Chuppi began in August 2018 and was completed the following month. It was released on 1 March 2019, and has grossed over ₹128.86 crore (US$19 million) worldwide.
The film starts with reporters asking film star Nazeem Khan if he is in a live-in relationship. He replies that it is his life and he can do whatever he wants to. The film then shifts to Mathura where Vishnu Trivedi, a failing politician wants a ban on live-in relationships. He goes to a local news channel in their town to get his daughter Rashmi an internship. There, Rashmi is introduced to the channel's star reporter Vinod "Guddu" Shukla and his friend Abbas Sheikh. Rashmi starts working with them and Guddu and Rashmi fall for each other. Later, Guddu and his eldest brother Vikas have an argument about who should get married first. The next day, Guddu meets Rashmi and proposes to her, but she says that she doesn't want to get married and wants to get to know Guddu first. She suggests a live-in relationship but Guddu doesn't want to be in a live-in relationship because it's not allowed in his family as it is not a part of their culture, and on top of that, he is afraid of Vishnu's position and stance. The two later seek help from Abbas and he suggests trying the live-in relationship during a scheduled 20-day business trip to Gwalior. Rashmi eagerly agrees but Guddu is still reluctant.
The three head for Gwalior and are able to find an apartment with the help from a local. The next morning, Guddu chases her around the apartment and from the outside, their neighbour Mrs. Srivastava watches. Suspicious, she goes to their apartment and asks Rashmi how long they have been married. Confused, they both look at each other, and mix up answers. Almost certain that they are in a live-in relationship, Mrs. Srivastava leaves and begins spilling the beans to everyone, and a unanimous decision is called for to oust them from the apartment. Guddu and Rashmi overhear this and come up with fake photos of their wedding to put around the house as proof. The next morning, all the neighbours are shocked to see the wedding pictures. Mrs. Srivastava tries to convince them but in vain. Guddu's eldest brother Varun's brother-in-law Babulal sees them indulging in public display of affection. Babulal follows them, sees the fake wedding pictures and assumes that the two eloped and got married.
The next morning, Babulal brings Guddu's entire family to their house including Guddu's mother Shakuntala and father Badriprasad. His family sees the wedding pictures and go back to Mathura to tell Vishnu about the two. Vishnu is okay with it and says that they should be glad that they got married and weren't in a live-in relationship.
Rashmi then goes to live with Guddu and his family because everyone thinks that they are now married. Rashmi dislikes lying to everyone and asks Guddu to quickly get themselves married. The two try to get married multiple times but in vain.
Finally, they decide to get married in an anonymous public marriage event. Unfortunately, Vishnu arrived to the event as a chief guest. He recognises Guddu and ultimately both the sides, Shuklas and Trivedis reach the venue and get to know about the truth. Guddu and Rashmi then accept that they are not married.
Guddu explains to Vishnu that the reason why Vishnu keeps losing the elections is because majority of the voting group is the new generation who believe in modern methods such as live-in relationships and opposing their methods equals to lack of support from them. Thus, he convinces Vishnu to stop opposing live-in relationships. Everyone finally get Guddu and Rashmi married.
- Kartik Aaryan as Vinod "Guddu" Shukla, Shakuntala and Badriprasad's son; Varun and Vikas's brother; Rashmi's husband
- Kriti Sanon as Rashmi Trivedi, Savitri and Vishnu's daughter; Guddu's wife
- Aparshakti Khurana as Abbas, Guddu and Rashmi's friend
- Pankaj Tripathi as Babulal, Janki's brother; Varun's brother-in-law
- Vinay Pathak as Vishnu Trivedi, Savitri's husband; Rashmi's father
- Atul Srivastava as Badriprasad Shukla, Shakuntala's husband; Guddu, Varun and Vikas's father
- Alka Amin as Shakuntala Shukla, Badriprasad's wife; Guddu, Varun and Vikas's mother
- Himanshu Kohli as Vikas Shukla, Shakuntala and Badriprasad's son; Varun and Guddu's brother
- Vishwanath Chatterjee as Varun Shukla, Shakuntala and Badriprasad's son; Vikas and Guddu's brother
- Neha Saraf as Janki Shukla, Babulal's sister; Varun's wife; Guddu's sister-in-law
- Ajeet Singh as Shrikant Trivedi, Vishnu's right-hand man
- Vimi Mehta as Savitri Trivedi, Vishnu's wife; Rashmi's mother
- Arun Singh Kushwaha as Chotu, Babulal's side kick
- Master Samarth as Cheeku, Janki and Vikas's son; Guddu's nephew
- Sapna Sand as Mrs. Srivastava, the neighbour in Gwalior
- Abhinav Shukla as Nazeem Khan, film star
- Nabil Singh as Pandit
Principal photography for the film began in Gwalior on 1 August 2018 and was completed in Mathura in September 2018. The film was released on 1 March 2019. Bollywood Hungama put the film's estimated budget at ₹25 crore, which included print and advertising costs.[a] Box Office India estimated the film's budget as ₹34 crore.
Marketing and release
Luka Chuppi garnered a solid 1.25 crore impressions becoming the third best television premiere film of the year.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||22 February 2019|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Tanishk Bagchi chronology|
|Abhijit Vaghani chronology|
|White Noise chronology|
The music of the film is composed by Tanishk Bagchi, Abhijit Vaghani and White Noise while the lyrics are written by Kunaal Verma, Nirmaan, Mellow D and White Noise. All the songs of the film are remakes of popular songs, thus making it a remix album.
"Photo" by Karan Sehmbi was recreated in Hindi for the film.
|1.||"Poster Lagwa Do"||White Noise||White Noise||Mika Singh, Sunanda Sharma|
Rap: Nikhita Gandhi
|2.||"Coca Cola Tu"||Tony Kakkar, Mellow D||Tanishk Bagchi||Tony Kakkar, Neha Kakkar|
Rap: Young Desi
|3.||"Photo"||Nirmaan||Tanishk Bagchi||Karan Sehmbi||2:57|
|4.||"Tu Laung Main Elaachi"||Kunaal Verma||Tanishk Bagchi||Tulsi Kumar||2:50|
|5.||"Duniyaa"||Kunaal Verma||Abhijit Vaghani||Akhil, Dhvani Bhanushali||3:42|
Taran Adarsh from Bollywood Hungama said, "A situational comedy with a message... Relatable premise, clean humour, foot tapping music, loads of entertainment... Superb climax... Kartik Aaryan top notch, Kriti Sanon damn good. Recommended!" Aashu Mishra from ABP News said, "Luka Chuppi is an easy breezy and crazy drama with an underlying layer of dark satire and social statement on moral policing and communal biases in small towns. The crackling chemistry between Kartik Aryan and Kriti Sanon is bang on and looks refreshing." Bollywood Hungama said, "Luka Chuppi is a funny take on the modern relationships laced with dollops of situational and funny moments. This clean comedy would get thumbs up not just from the youngsters but also from the family audiences. Kartik Aaryan once again is in a great form. His boyish looks work instantly but it's his performance that makes it even more endearing. Kriti Sanon has a fantastic screen presence and maintains a strong position. She also surprisingly shines in an important emotional sequence in the second half." Komal Nahta said, "Kartik Aryan does a fine job as Guddu. His acting is effortless and he is the best when he is helpless in the second half. Kriti Sanon looks very pretty and plays Rashmi ably. She has an endearing style which enables her to connect well with the viewers. Pankaj Tripathi deserves full marks for playing Babulal so effectively. It would not be wrong to say that he brings the house down with laughter each time he comes on the screen. Aparshakti Khurrana stands out in a relatively subdued role as Abbas. He is very entertaining in the second half." Filmfare said, "Kriti Sanon is spontaneous throughout and seems to be finding her feet in comedy, having a gala time of it all in the process. Kartik Aaryan displays wholesome charm and plays his part perfectly. Aparshakti instils the fun with minute shrugs and gestures and keeps it subtle but effective nonetheless." Faridoon Shahryar of Bollywood Hungama said, "Laxman Utekar's Luka Chuppi is a feel good entertainer that charms with its simplicity, cool music score and fine performances by Kartik, Kriti, Vinay Pathak, Pankaj Tripathi and Aparshakti Khurrana. It also raises some valid points about what India's youth really wants!"
Collecting ₹8.01 crore, Luka Chuppi became the fourth highest opening day Bollywood grosser of 2019. Having collected ₹10.08 crore and ₹14.04 crore on its second and third days respectively, the film's opening weekend total became ₹32.13 crore, thus making it one of 2019's highest opening weekend collection of a Bollywood film. As of 19 June 2019[update], the worldwide gross of the film is ₹128.86 crore, with domestic gross of ₹111.87 crore and overseas gross of ₹16.99 crore. Thus, the film was a financial success.
- A film's budget typically refers to the straight cost of making the film, not the cost of promoting it with print and advertising, etc.
- "LUKA CHUPPI - British Board of Film Classification". bbfc.co.uk. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Luka Chuppi Box Office Collection till Now". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- "Worldwide Highest Grossing Bollywood Movies on 2019". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- "'Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety' actor Kartik Aaryan to romance Kriti Sanon in 'Luka Chuppi'". DNA India. 3 July 2018. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- Roshmila Bhattacharya (2 July 2018). "Kriti Sanon, Kartik Aaryan in a romcom based in Mathura". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Kartik Aaryan, Kriti Sanon flash the biggest smiles in Luka Chuppi first look". Hindustan Times. 2 August 2018. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- Bollywood Hungama (2 August 2018). "Kartik Aaryan gets a warm welcome in his hometown in Gwalior". Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Kriti Sanon and Kartik Aryan look adorable as bride and groom in this viral picture from 'Luka Chuppi'". DNA India. 30 July 2018. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- Joginder Tuteja (3 March 2019). "Luka Chuppi Box Office Collections Day 2: Kartik Aaryan and Kriti Sanons Luka Chuppi grows on Saturday with Rs. 10.08 cr coming in, set to make huge profits for producer Dinesh Vijan". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Luka Chuppi - Movie - Box Office India". boxofficeindia.com.
- "Kartik Aaryan, Kriti Sanon starrer 'Luka Chuppi' first poster out!". Zee News. 23 January 2019. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "'Luka Chuppi' trailer: Kriti Sanon and Kartik Aaryan's quirky love story will charm you". The Times of India. 30 January 2019. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Dinesh Vijan on canceling release of Luka Chuppi in Pakistan: It's time we stand in solidarity of Pulwama attacks- Entertainment News, Firstpost". Firstpost. 19 February 2019. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Box Office - Kartik Aaryan, Kriti Sanon, Laxman Utekar and Dinesh Vijans Luka Chuppi enjoys a 50 days run in theaters". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Kartik Aaryan, Kriti Sanon starrer Luka Chuppi performs huge on TV; beats Simmba, Sanju, Raid and Uri: The Surgical Strike | Bollywood News". www.timesnownews.com. Retrieved 14 June 2019.
- "Check out the Movie Luka Chuppi on JioCinema now!". JioCinema. Retrieved 3 June 2019.
- "Luka Chuppi - Various Artists". Retrieved 17 April 2019 – via JioSaavn.
- "Dinesh Vijan's Luka Chuppi starring Kartik Aaryan and Kriti Sanon features five recreated versions of old hits". Mumbai Mirror. 18 February 2019. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Luka Chuppi: Kartik Aaryan to star in recreated version of Akshay Kumar's song 'Yeh Khabar Chapwa Do Akhbar Mein'". Bollywood Hungama. 17 January 2019. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Coca Cola: Kartik Aaryan and Kriti Sanon are in the party mode in Luka Chuppi's new song. Watch". Hindustan Times. 4 February 2019. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- Anusha Iyengar (12 February 2019). "Luka Chuppi song Photo: Kartik Aaryan and Kriti Sanon's romantic number is perfect for Valentine's Day". Times Now. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- Apoorva Nijhara (19 February 2019). "Luka Chuppi' song Tu Laung Main Elaachi: Kriti Sanon & Kartik Aaryan's remake is the latest wedding track". PINKVILLA. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Luka Chuppi song Duniyaa: Kartik Aaryan and Kriti Sanon's sizzling chemistry will leave you impressed". Times Now. 22 February 2019. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (28 February 2019). "A situational comedy with a message... Relatable premise, clean humour, foot tapping music, loads of entertainment... Superb climax... Kartik Aaryan top notch, Kriti Sanon damn good. Recommended!" (Tweet). Retrieved 17 April 2019 – via Twitter.
- Aashu Mishra (1 March 2019). "Luka Chuppi MOVIE REVIEW: Kartik Aryan-Kriti Sanon's easy breezy & crazy live-in drama will tickle your funny bone!". ABP Live. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Luka Chuppi Movie Review". Bollywood Hungama. 1 March 2019. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Luka Chuppi". Komal Nahta's Blog. 1 March 2019. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- Devesh Sharma (17 March 2019). "Movie Review: Luka Chuppi". Filmfare. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- Faridoon Shahryar [@iFaridoon] (28 February 2019). "Laxman Utekar's #LukaChuppi is a feel good entertainer that charms with its simplicity, cool music score and fine performances by Kartik, Kriti, Vinay Pathak, Pankaj Tripathi and Aparshakti Khurrana. It also raises some valid points about what India's youth really wants!" (Tweet). Retrieved 17 April 2019 – via Twitter.
- "Luka Chuppi Box Office Collections: Kartik Aaryan – Kriti Sanon starrer surpasses Kangana Ranaut's Manikarnika; becomes 4th highest opening day grosser of 2019". Bollywood Hungama. 2 March 2019. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "'Luka Chuppi' Box Office: Kartik Aaryan-Kriti Sanon's film now has one of 2019's highest opening weekend collections". DNA India. 4 March 2019. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (15 April 2019). "#LukaChuppi has almost exhausted its run... Will end at ₹ 95 cr [+/-]... Biz at a glance... Week 1: ₹ 53.70 cr Week 2: ₹ 21.54 cr Week 3: ₹ 11.75 cr Week 4: ₹ 4.04 cr Week 5: ₹ 1.70 cr Week 6: ₹ 97 lakhs Weekend 7: ₹ 45 lakhs Total: ₹ 94.15 cr India biz. SUPER HIT" (Tweet) – via Twitter.