Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Laxman Utekar|
|Produced by||Dinesh Vijan|
|Written by||Rohan Shankar|
|Edited by||Manish Pradhan|
|Box office||est. ₹128.86 crore|
Luka Chuppi (transl. Hide and seek) is a 2019 Indian Hindi-language romantic comedy film directed by Laxman Utekar. Produced by Dinesh Vijan under Maddock Films, it stars Kartik Aaryan and Kriti Sanon and the film tells the story of a television reporter who cohabits with his headstrong intern. Chaos ensues when their traditional families assume them to be married to each other.
Principal photography for Luka Chuppi began in August 2018 and was completed the following month. It was released on 1 March 2019 and has grossed over ₹128.86 crore (US$18 million) worldwide.
The film starts with reporters asking film star Nazeem Khan if he is in a live-in relationship. When he replies he is, it causes a media uproar about how he is disrespecting India's culture and being a bad influence for the youth. The film shifts to the small town of Mathura, where Vishnu Trivedi, a failing politician wants a ban on live-in relationships because they are disgraceful and against India's conservative culture. His daughter Rashmi takes up an internship at a local news channel, and starts working with the channel's star reporter Vinod "Guddu" Kumar Shukla and his best friend, cameraman Abbas Sheikh. Guddu and Rashmi fall in love and Guddu proposes. Flustered, she says she is not ready for marriage and wants to get to know Guddu first. She suggests a live-in relationship to test their compatibility but Guddu doesn't want one, being slightly more traditional. Abbas suggests trying a live-in relationship during their 20-day business trip to Gwalior. The couple agree.
The three find an apartment to rent. Their neighbor Mrs. Srivastava however is suspicious and asks how long they have been married. On the spot, they mix up answers and Mrs. Srivastava, certain that they are living together without being married, calls for the neighborhood to oust them from the apartment. Guddu and Rashmi come up with fake photos of their wedding overnight to put around the house as proof. The next morning, the neighbors are shocked to see the wedding pictures and blame Mrs. Srivastava for accusing them. At the end of the 20 days, Guddu reaffirms his love for Rashmi and she says she is ready to marry him. Guddu's nosy relative Babulal sees the two together in public, follows them, sees the fake wedding pictures, and assumes that they eloped.
The next morning, Babulal brings Guddu's entire family to their house. His family is shocked and Guddu and Rashmi are unable to admit the truth. They go back to Mathura to tell Rashmi's father Vishnu. Vishnu decides that they should be thankful the two got married and weren't in a live-in relationship and after a quick wedding ceremony, sends Rashmi off. Rashmi goes to live with Guddu and his family because everyone thinks they are now married. Rashmi feels bad about such a big lie and she and Guddu decide to secretly get officially married. The two try multiple times but something or someone always gets in the way.
In their last attempt, they try to get married in an anonymous public mass marriage event. Unfortunately, Vishnu is the chief guest. Guddu and Rashmi are caught as his family also shows up at the venue. Exasperated, they admit they are not married and had been in a live-in relationship. Guddu explains to Vishnu that the reason Vishnu keeps losing the elections is because the majority of the voting group is the new generation, who believe in modernity, and opposing their methods equals lack of support from them, making Vishnu lose the majority percentage of votes. He convinces Vishnu to stop opposing live-in relationships. Everyone finally gets Guddu and Rashmi married.
- Kartik Aaryan as Vinod "Guddu" Kumar Shukla
- Kriti Sanon as Rashmi Trivedi / Rashmi Vinod Shukla
- Aparshakti Khurana as Abbas Sheikh
- Pankaj Tripathi as Babulal
- Vinay Pathak as Vishnu Trivedi
- Atul Srivastava as Badriprasad Shukla
- Alka Amin as Shakuntala Shukla
- Himanshu Kohli as Vikas Shukla
- Vishwanath Chatterjee as Varun Shukla
- Neha Saraf as Janki Shukla
- Ajeet Singh as Shrikant Trivedi
- Vimi Mehta as Savitri Trivedi
- Arun Singh Kushwaha as Chotu
- Master Samarth as Cheeku
- Sapna Sand as Mrs. Srivastav
- Abhinav Shukla as Nazeem Khan
- Nabil Singh as Pandit
- Umesh kaushik as Film Editor (Additional)
Principal photography for the film began in Gwalior on 1 August 2018 and was completed in Mathura in September 2018. The film was released on 1 March 2019. Bollywood Hungama put the film's estimated budget at ₹25 crore, which included print and advertising costs.[a] Box Office India estimated the film's budget as ₹34 crore.
Marketing and release
The first poster of the film was released on 23 January 2019.
Luka Chuppi garnered a solid 1.25 crore impressions becoming the third best television premiere film of the year.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||22 February 2019|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Tanishk Bagchi chronology|
|Abhijit Vaghani chronology|
|White Noise chronology|
The music of the film is composed by Tanishk Bagchi, Abhijit Vaghani and White Noise while the lyrics are written by Kunaal Vermaa, Nirmaan, Mellow D and White Noise. All the songs of the film are remakes of popular songs, thus making it a remix album.
"Photo" by Karan Sehmbi was recreated in Hindi for the film.
|1.||"Poster Lagwa Do"||White Noise||White Noise||Mika Singh, Sunanda Sharma|
Rap: Nikhita Gandhi
|2.||"Coca Cola Tu"||Tony Kakkar, Mellow D||Tanishk Bagchi||Tony Kakkar, Neha Kakkar|
Rap: Young Desi
|3.||"Photo"||Nirmaan||Tanishk Bagchi||Karan Sehmbi||2:57|
|4.||"Tu Laung Main Elaachi"||Kunaal Vermaa||Tanishk Bagchi||Tulsi Kumar||2:50|
|5.||"Duniyaa"||Kunaal Vermaa||Abhijit Vaghani||Akhil, Dhvani Bhanushali||3:42|
Taran Adarsh from Bollywood Hungama said, "A situational comedy with a message... Relatable premise, clean humour, foot tapping music, loads of entertainment... Superb climax... Kartik Aaryan top notch, Kriti Sanon damn good. Recommended!" Aashu Mishra from ABP News said, "Luka Chuppi is an easy breezy and crazy drama with an underlying layer of dark satire and social statement on moral policing and communal biases in small towns. The crackling chemistry between Kartik Aryan and Kriti Sanon is bang on and looks refreshing." Bollywood Hungama said, "Luka Chuppi is a funny take on the modern relationships laced with dollops of situational and funny moments. This clean comedy would get thumbs up not just from the youngsters but also from the family audiences. Kartik Aaryan once again is in a great form. His boyish looks work instantly but it's his performance that makes it even more endearing. Kriti Sanon has a fantastic screen presence and maintains a strong position. She also surprisingly shines in an important emotional sequence in the second half." Komal Nahta said, "Kartik Aryan does a fine job as Guddu. His acting is effortless and he is the best when he is helpless in the second half. Kriti Sanon looks very pretty and plays Rashmi ably. She has an endearing style which enables her to connect well with the viewers. Pankaj Tripathi deserves full marks for playing Babulal so effectively. It would not be wrong to say that he brings the house down with laughter each time he comes on the screen. Aparshakti Khurrana stands out in a relatively subdued role as Abbas. He is very entertaining in the second half." Filmfare said, "Kriti Sanon is spontaneous throughout and seems to be finding her feet in comedy, having a gala time of it all in the process. Kartik Aaryan displays wholesome charm and plays his part perfectly. Aparshakti instils the fun with minute shrugs and gestures and keeps it subtle but effective nonetheless." Faridoon Shahryar of Bollywood Hungama said, "Laxman Utekar's Luka Chuppi is a feel good entertainer that charms with its simplicity, cool music score and fine performances by Kartik, Kriti, Vinay Pathak, Pankaj Tripathi and Aparshakti Khurrana. It also raises some valid points about what India's youth really wants!"
Collecting ₹8.01 crore, Luka Chuppi became the fourth highest opening day Bollywood grosser of 2019. Having collected ₹10.08 crore and ₹14.04 crore on its second and third days respectively, the film's opening weekend total became ₹32.13 crore, thus making it one of 2019's highest opening weekend collection of a Bollywood film. As of 19 June 2019[update], the worldwide gross of the film is ₹128.86 crore, with domestic gross of ₹111.87 crore and overseas gross of ₹16.99 crore. Thus, the film was a financial success.
A sequel named Luka Chuppi Phir Se is set to be directed by Utekar. Produced by Dinesh Vijan under Maddock Films, it tells the story of a couple going through divorce with the families being unaware. The film was planned to go into production in 2020, but the production was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- A film's budget typically refers to the straight cost of making the film, not the cost of promoting it with print and advertising, etc.
- "LUKA CHUPPI - British Board of Film Classification". bbfc.co.uk. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Luka Chuppi Box Office Collection till Now". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- "Worldwide Highest Grossing Bollywood Movies on 2019". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 4 May 2019.
- "'Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety' actor Kartik Aaryan to romance Kriti Sanon in 'Luka Chuppi'". DNA India. 3 July 2018. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- Roshmila Bhattacharya (2 July 2018). "Kriti Sanon, Kartik Aaryan in a romcom based in Mathura". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Kartik Aaryan, Kriti Sanon flash the biggest smiles in Luka Chuppi first look". Hindustan Times. 2 August 2018. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- Bollywood Hungama (2 August 2018). "Kartik Aaryan gets a warm welcome in his hometown in Gwalior". Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Kriti Sanon and Kartik Aryan look adorable as bride and groom in this viral picture from 'Luka Chuppi'". DNA India. 30 July 2018. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- Joginder Tuteja (3 March 2019). "Luka Chuppi Box Office Collections Day 2: Kartik Aaryan and Kriti Sanons Luka Chuppi grows on Saturday with Rs. 10.08 cr coming in, set to make huge profits for producer Dinesh Vijan". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Luka Chuppi - Movie - Box Office India". boxofficeindia.com.
- "Kartik Aaryan, Kriti Sanon starrer 'Luka Chuppi' first poster out!". Zee News. 23 January 2019. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Dinesh Vijan on canceling release of Luka Chuppi in Pakistan: It's time we stand in solidarity of Pulwama attacks- Entertainment News, Firstpost". Firstpost. 19 February 2019. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Box Office - Kartik Aaryan, Kriti Sanon, Laxman Utekar and Dinesh Vijans Luka Chuppi enjoys a 50 days run in theaters". Bollywood Hungama. 19 April 2019.
- "Kartik Aaryan, Kriti Sanon starrer Luka Chuppi performs huge on TV; beats Simmba, Sanju, Raid and Uri: The Surgical Strike | Bollywood News". www.timesnownews.com. Retrieved 14 June 2019.
- "Check out the Movie Luka Chuppi on JioCinema now!". JioCinema. Retrieved 3 June 2019.
- "Luka Chuppi - Various Artists". Retrieved 17 April 2019 – via JioSaavn.
- "Dinesh Vijan's Luka Chuppi starring Kartik Aaryan and Kriti Sanon features five recreated versions of old hits". Mumbai Mirror. 18 February 2019. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Luka Chuppi: Kartik Aaryan to star in recreated version of Akshay Kumar's song 'Yeh Khabar Chapwa Do Akhbar Mein'". Bollywood Hungama. 17 January 2019. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Coca Cola: Kartik Aaryan and Kriti Sanon are in the party mode in Luka Chuppi's new song. Watch". Hindustan Times. 4 February 2019. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- Anusha Iyengar (12 February 2019). "Luka Chuppi song Photo: Kartik Aaryan and Kriti Sanon's romantic number is perfect for Valentine's Day". Times Now. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- Apoorva Nijhara (19 February 2019). "Luka Chuppi' song Tu Laung Main Elaachi: Kriti Sanon & Kartik Aaryan's remake is the latest wedding track". PINKVILLA. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Luka Chuppi song Duniyaa: Kartik Aaryan and Kriti Sanon's sizzling chemistry will leave you impressed". Times Now. 22 February 2019. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (28 February 2019). "A situational comedy with a message... Relatable premise, clean humour, foot tapping music, loads of entertainment... Superb climax... Kartik Aaryan top notch, Kriti Sanon damn good. Recommended!" (Tweet). Retrieved 17 April 2019 – via Twitter.
- Aashu Mishra (1 March 2019). "Luka Chuppi MOVIE REVIEW: Kartik Aryan-Kriti Sanon's easy breezy & crazy live-in drama will tickle your funny bone!". ABP Live. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Luka Chuppi Movie Review". Bollywood Hungama. 1 March 2019. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "Luka Chuppi". Komal Nahta's Blog. 1 March 2019. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- Devesh Sharma (17 March 2019). "Movie Review: Luka Chuppi". Filmfare. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- Faridoon Shahryar [@iFaridoon] (28 February 2019). "Laxman Utekar's #LukaChuppi is a feel good entertainer that charms with its simplicity, cool music score and fine performances by Kartik, Kriti, Vinay Pathak, Pankaj Tripathi and Aparshakti Khurrana. It also raises some valid points about what India's youth really wants!" (Tweet). Retrieved 17 April 2019 – via Twitter.
- "Luka Chuppi Box Office Collections: Kartik Aaryan – Kriti Sanon starrer surpasses Kangana Ranaut's Manikarnika; becomes 4th highest opening day grosser of 2019". Bollywood Hungama. 2 March 2019. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- "'Luka Chuppi' Box Office: Kartik Aaryan-Kriti Sanon's film now has one of 2019's highest opening weekend collections". DNA India. 4 March 2019. Retrieved 17 April 2019.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (15 April 2019). "#LukaChuppi has almost exhausted its run... Will end at ₹ 95 cr [+/-]... Biz at a glance... Week 1: ₹ 53.70 cr Week 2: ₹ 21.54 cr Week 3: ₹ 11.75 cr Week 4: ₹ 4.04 cr Week 5: ₹ 1.70 cr Week 6: ₹ 97 lakhs Weekend 7: ₹ 45 lakhs Total: ₹ 94.15 cr India biz. SUPER HIT" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Luka Chuppi 2 in scripting stage, producer Dinesh Vijan confirms; film to deal with 'divorce sah parivar'- Entertainment News, Firstpost". Firstpost. 28 September 2019. Retrieved 29 September 2019.
- "Luka Chuppi 2 to revolve around the theme divorce 'sah parivaar' - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 29 September 2019.
- "Luka Chuppi 2? Kriti Sanon Hints at Sequel in 2020 as She Flaunts Trophy From Star Screen Awards". India.com. 10 December 2019. Retrieved 25 February 2020.
- Anandani, Jeet (10 June 2020). "Kriti Sanon, Hrithik Roshan & Other Actors Who Have Upcoming Movie Sequels". RepulicWorld.com. Retrieved 26 July 2020.