Luke 6:4-16 on Papyrus 4, written about AD 150-175.
|Book||Gospel of Luke|
|Bible part||New Testament|
|Order in the Bible part||3|
Luke 20 is the twentieth chapter of the Gospel of Luke in the New Testament of the Christian Bible. It records the teachings of Jesus Christ, especially under the questioning of the groups of Pharisee and Sadduccee. The book containing this chapter is anonymous but early Christian tradition uniformly affirmed that Luke composed this Gospel as well as Acts.
- The original text is written in Koine Greek.
- Some most ancient manuscripts containing this chapter are:
- This chapter is divided into 47 verses.
This chapter can be grouped (with cross references to other parts of the Bible):
- Luke 20:1-8 = Jesus’ Authority Questioned (Matthew 21:23-27; Mark 11:27-33)
- Luke 20:9-19 = Parable of the Wicked Vinedressers (Matthew 21:33-46; Mark 12:1-12)
- Luke 20:20-26 = The Pharisees: Is It Lawful to Pay Taxes to Caesar? (Matthew 22:15-22; Mark 12:13-17)
- Luke 20:27-40 = The Sadducees: What About the Resurrection? (Matthew 22:23-33; Mark 12:18-27)
- Luke 20:41-44 = Jesus: How Can David Call His Descendant Lord? (Psalm 110:1; Matthew 22:41-46; Mark 12:35-37)
- Luke 20:45-47 = Beware of the Scribes (Matthew 23:5-7; Mark 12:38-40)
Parable of the Wicked Vinedressers
This parable of Jesus, also known as the Parable of the Wicked Husbandmen, found in three of the four canonical gospels (Luke Luke 20:9–19, Mark Mark 12:1–12, and Matthew Matthew 21:33–46), and in the non-canonical Gospel of Thomas. It describes a householder planting a vineyard and letting it out to husbandmen, who failed in their duty. This parable was about chief priests and Pharisees and was given to the people present in the Temple during the final week before the death of Jesus.
- Burning bush
- John the Baptist
- Ministry of Jesus
- Parables of Jesus
- Other related Bible parts: Exodus 3, Joshua 10, Psalm 110, Psalm 118, Matthew 21, Matthew 22, Matthew 23, Matthew 25, Mark 11, Mark 12, Acts 2, Acts 5; Romans 8; Hebrews 1, Hebrews 5, Hebrews 6, Hebrews 7, Hebrews 10, Hebrews 12
- Halley, Henry H. Halley's Bible Handbook: an abbreviated Bible commentary. 23rd edition. Zondervan Publishing House. 1962.
- Holman Illustrated Bible Handbook. Holman Bible Publishers, Nashville, Tennessee. 2012.
|Chapters of the Bible
Gospel of Luke