Luke Burgess (rugby league)
20 February 1987 |
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England
|Height||194 cm (6 ft 4 in)|
|Weight||112 kg (17 st 9 lb)|
|2007(loan)||→ Harlequins RL||3||0||0||0||0|
|2011–14||South Sydney Rabbitohs||51||2||0||0||8|
|2015–16||Manly Sea Eagles||19||0||0||0||0|
|2016||Salford Red Devils||8||0||0||0||0|
Luke Burgess (born 20 February 1987) is an English professional footballer who currently plays with the Catalans Dragons in the Super Leauge competition in England.Luke Burgess has brothers that also come from England like Sam Burgess,George Burgess and Tom Burgess.He previously played in Rugby Leauge for Australian sides, like Soutth Sydney Rabbitohs and the Manly Sea eagles.
Burgess was born on 20 February 1987 in Liversedge, Wakefield, West Yorkshire. His late father, Mark Burgess who died of Motor neurone disease, was also a rugby league footballer who played for Nottingham City, Rochdale Hornets, Dewsbury and Hunslet; whilst his mother Julie is a teacher, currently employed at The Scots College in Bellevue Hill, Sydney. His younger brothers Tom and George, played professional rugby league with the South Sydney Rabbitohs, while Sam played rugby union for Bath Rugby (all three brothers Sam, George, and Tom currently play for South Sydney Rabbitohs).
He attended Heckmondwike Grammar School to receive a secondary education before becoming a professional rugby player. He played his junior rugby for Dewsbury Moor, and also played for Liversedge Cricket Club.
Professional playing career
Burgess' début game was against Castleford Tigers at Wheldon Road, Leeds lost this game. Burgess scored his first try on his second game against Harlequins RL. At the end of the 2008 season, Burgess became the inaugural winner of the Albert Goldthorpe Rookie of the Year Award, presented by the leading trade newspaper, Rugby Leaguer & League Express.
In 2009, Burgess played in 28 games, however, he only scored one try for the club against Salford City Reds, compared to five tries from only five appearances in 2008.
National Rugby League
In May 2013, model Yolanda Hodgson who had been a contestant on Australia's Next Top Model in 2011, gave birth to the couples first child, daughter Grace Luca. In August 2013, the Burgess brothers became the first set of four brothers to line up in the same Australian side since Ray, Roy, Rex and Bernard Norman played for Sydney's Annandale club in the 1910 NSWRFL season.
In 2015, he joined the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles, after being granted an early leave by the South Sydney Rabbitohs, after an incident at the Rabbitohs' high-altitude training camp in Arizona, United States.
- Irvine, Christopher (26 October 2007). "Sam Burgess inspired by memory of late father". The Times Online. Retrieved 17 September 2009.
- "The Albert Goldthorpe Awards". totalrl.com. League Publications. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- "Family affair at Rabbitohs". Sky Sports. 21 June 2011.
- Nicolussi, Christian (29 June 2011). "Luke Burgess named to make NRL debut with South Sydney". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- "NRL's Luke Burgess and model Yolanda Hodgson welcome baby Grace to the world". The Daily Telegraph. 8 May 2013.
- "Rugby league history as FOUR English brothers star for Russell Crowe's side". Mirror. 30 August 2013. Retrieved 19 October 2013.