Luke Friend in 2013
|Born||30 April 1996|
|Origin||Leeds, Yorkshire, England, UK|
BMG Germany (2016–)
Luke Friend (born 30 April 1996) is an English singer and former student from Teignmouth in Devon. He started his career in 2013 after winning TeenStar and appearing as a contestant and later a finalist on tenth series of The X Factor and later placed third on the show. After his career appearing on The X Factor, he signed with RCA Records in October 2014 and released his debut single "Hole In My Heart" in March 2015. On 8 April 2016 he signed to BMG.
He was born in Leeds and grew up in the Chapel Allerton area of the city. He is the son of gym owner, Steve Friend. He also used to live in Shipley, Bradford, where he attended Shipley CofE Primary and Beckfoot School, before moving to Devon when he was 13. He then attended Coombeshead Academy.
2013: The X Factor
In July 2013, Friend won TeenStar 2013. Luke took part in the tenth series of The X Factor. Friend's room audition, in which he sang "Stand by Me", was the first audition of the series to be broadcast. Walsh commented "You have your own style, your own finish, love your voice. You're different." Friend's arena audition saw him sing "Too Much Love Will Kill You". He performed "Alone" at bootcamp, and then "Cannonball" and "Somewhere Only We Know" at judges' houses. In week 6, Friend was in the bottom two with Sam Callahan, but was saved after Walsh refused to vote and then Scherzinger, Barlow and voted to send Callahan home leaving Osbourne's vote unnecessary but stated that she would have saved Friend. In the quarter-final, he was in the bottom two with Tamera Foster. Walsh and Osbourne voted to send Friend through to the semi-final, and Scherzinger and Barlow voted to send Foster through to the semi-final and the result went to deadlock. Friend was saved by the public vote and advanced to the semi-final. In the semi-final he was in the bottom two again, this time with Rough Copy. Walsh voted to send Friend through to the final as his own act, while Barlow voted to send Rough Copy through to the final. Scherzinger voted to send Rough Copy through the final, but Osbourne, who had the casting vote, voted to send Friend through to the final. This meant Osbourne sent the result to deadlock and Friend advanced to the final. In the final on 14 December, Friend performed a duet with Ellie Goulding and later finished in third place.
2014-15: Début single
On 19 January 2014, Friend won "Rising Star of 2014" in the Best of 2013 awards. He signed a deal with RCA Records and on 15 October 2014, a lyric video for a new song "Take On the World" was posted on his official YouTube page. His debut single is "Hole in My Heart" and the video appeared on his official YouTube page on 8 February 2015. It was officially released on 29 March and it reached 40 in the UK Official Charts. As of 18 February 2015, his album is 90% complete. Luke has also toured Britain on his sold-out 'Hole in My Heart Tour' in Totnes, Leeds, Manchester, Glasgow, Bristol and London.
2016: Signed to BMG
On 8 April 2016 Friend posted on social media a photograph of himself signing a contract with the caption "It's official I signed to @BMG time to show the world my music, a new chapter". He also announced via a Facebook live stream in March 2016 that he is also working with new management, TCB, and that new music is likely to be released later in 2016. The first three dates of a second headline tour have also been announced for 2,3 and 4 June 2016 in Birmingham, London and Manchester.
On 10 August 2018 AZTX released a single called Karma featuring Friend. 
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2015||"Hole in My Heart"||40||20||TBA|
- "Childhood snaps reveal X Factor star Luke Friend has always loved his funky hair style". Exeter Express and Echo. 22 November 2013. Archived from the original on 3 December 2013. Retrieved 27 November 2013.
- Vizard, Natalie (10 September 2013). "Devon TeenStar Luke Friend has The X Factor". The Exeter Daily. Retrieved 4 November 2013.
- "Video: Leeds-born X Factor contestant Luke Friend calls on city's support". Yorkshire Evening Post. Johnston Press. 6 December 2013. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "Leeds's own X Factor singer faces boot camp challenge". Yorkshire Evening Post. Johnston Press. 20 September 2013. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "A TED EXCLUSIVE: We interview Devon and X Factor's Luke Friend!". The Exeter Daily. 20 September 2013. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- Clayton, Emma (6 December 2013). "Former Shipley boy Luke Friend aims for X Factor final". Telegraph & Argus. Newsquest. Retrieved 7 December 2013.
- Walmesley, Adam (8 November 2013). "Dad of X Factor star Luke Friend sets his son a top six target". Express & Echo. Local World. Archived from the original on 2 December 2013. Retrieved 27 November 2013.
- "Teenstar's 2013 winner Luke Friend – now in the X Factor!". grapevinelive.co.uk. November 2013. Archived from the original on 1 February 2014. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- Adams, Nico (23 September 2013). "X Factor 2013: Who could go all the way?". Metro. DMG Media. Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- Greenwood, Carl (14 December 2013). "X Factor 2013 finalist Luke Friend: Third-placed dreadlocked singer's journey in videos". Daily Mirror. Trinity Mirror. Retrieved 18 January 2014.
- Charalambous, Sophia (14 December 2013). "X Factor Final: Luke Friend leaves the show as Sam Bailey and Nicholas McDonald are left to battle it out to be crowned winner". Daily Mail. DMG Media. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "This Week's Fresh Music Top 20". Fresh Music Top 20. 4Music. 18 February 2015.