Luke Johnson (musician)
Wolverhampton Civic Hall August 2009
|Birth name||Luke Anthony Johnson|
|Born||11 March 1981|
Redditch, Worcestershire, England
|Genres||Alternative rock, hard rock, post-hardcore|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, songwriter, drummer|
|Instruments||Drums, guitar, bass guitar|
|Years active||2002 – present (Musician) |
2012 – present (Writer)
|Labels||Science Records, Warner Bros. Records, Sony, Columbia|
|Associated acts||Shooter McGavin|
Shortcut To Newark
Luke Anthony "Jocko" Johnson (born 11 March 1981) is an English rock musician, drummer and songwriter. He is most commonly known as 'Jocko'. Johnson began his music career in the late 1990s drumming for a spree of small local West Midlands- punk and metal bands. In early 2003 Johnson was approached by California punk band Amen to join the ranks. After his departure from Amen in 2005, Johnson formed Beat Union as drummer and songwriter with Dave Warsop, Dean Ashton and Mark Andrews. Johnson joined the Welsh alternative metal band Lostprophets in 2009 until their disbanding in 2013. Johnson has also been involved in other musical projects, including working alongside Producer John Feldmann (Good Charlotte, The Used, Kelly Clarkson) and has performed session work for a variety of bands, including The Wonder Stuff and Foxy Shazam.
Johnson was exposed to music at the very early age of 2. Beginning with his father, Les Johnson, who was a Birmingham promoter for such bands as New Order, Killing Joke and New Model Army. At the age of 5, Johnson started to join his father on tour with the band he managed The Wonder Stuff. Johnson was then given his first pair of drumsticks by Martin Gilks and would often even get to soundcheck the drums. '"All my life I've been around music. I'd go to shows and soundcheck the drums for the Wonder Stuff and get to play kits on these big stages during soundcheck and hearing the sound of a drumkit through a PA I thought, 'Man I really want to do this!'"', says Johnson. With the support of his parents, at the age of 6, Johnson started taking drum lessons.
Beat Union was a pop-punk band from Birmingham, Bromsgrove and Redditch. They were formerly known as Shortcut to Newark. The group has garnered comparisons to Elvis Costello and The Jam, as well as pop punk groups like Green Day.
Their debut full-length album, Disconnected, was released on Science Records in April 2008. It was produced with the help of John Feldmann, producer and frontman of Goldfinger. Rolling Stone named their song "She Is the Gun" Song of the Day on 17 July 2008. The song also received rotation on BBC Radio 1, where it rose to No. 5 on the station's airplay charts.
After releasing the album, the group toured with Goldfinger and then played the 2008 Warped Tour in the U.S. A U.S. fall tour was announced with Flogging Molly, followed by UK dates with Less Than Jake.
Following the departure of American drummer Ilan Rubin from Lostprophets, Johnson was officially announced as the band's new drummer in August 2009, after they had completed the recording of their fourth studio album The Betrayed The album was released in January 2010, and Johnson toured with them in support of the album, commencing in February 2010 with their UK tour in which they were supported by Kids in Glass Houses, Hexes, We Are the Ocean and Sharks. Johnson would go on to play on the band's fifth and final album, Weapons, which was released in 2012.
The band split in October 2013.
No Devotion (2014–2015)
Johnson is currently writing music for various artists while also working on his own solo EP. He was also the drummer and founding member of the new rock band formed by former Lostprophets members, No Devotion, after Watkins' imprisonment.
He left No Devotion in late 2014 to focus on his solo career, although it was not announced by the band until January 2015, as the other members hoped he would change his mind. He was replaced by former Kids in Glass Houses drummer Phillip Jenkins.
Solo Career (2015)
Luke started the band Lowlives in 2016, their first show was supporting Moose Blood in Los Angeles in October 2017. Lowlives released their first EP Burn Forever in August 2018 they also supported The Used in the same month in England.
Tama Starclassic Performer Bubinga/Birch Shell Color: Black Diamond Dust & Chrome Hardware
- 18'"x22" Kick Drum
- 6"x14" Starphonic Brass Snare Drum
- 10"x14" Rack Tom
- 16"x16" Floor Tom
- 16"x18" Floor Tom
- Iron Cobra Powerglide Twin Pedal
- 19" A Custom Crash
- 20" Medium Crash
- 20" A Custom Crash
- 20" A Custom Rezo Crash
- 21" Sweet Ride
- 15" Mastersound Hi Hats
Pro-mark 2B Nylon Tip Natural Sticks
Remo Coated Emperor Tom Heads Remo Emperor X Snare Head
- "TAMA Drums | Artists on Tour – Luke Johnson / Lostprophets" (in Japanese). Tamadrum.co.jp. Retrieved 2010-05-15.
- "Zildjian News". MusicRadar.com. 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-16.
- "Luke Johnson biography". MusicRadar.com. 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-16.
- "The Wonder Stuff, Back with a Vengeance". Drowned in Sound. 2004. Retrieved 2010-05-16.
- "Modern Drummer News". Modern Drummer. 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-16.
- "Music Radar". Music Radar. 2010. Retrieved 2010-05-16.
- "Shortcut to Newark". purevolume. Retrieved 2008-04-30.
- Review of Disconnected. Allmusic
- Review of Disconnected. Alternative Press, June 2008.
- Bedouin Soundclash, Beat Union, & Zox. BBC, 25 August 2006.
- Beat Union Get Disconnected Archived 7 June 2011 at the Wayback Machine. Chart Attack, 14 April 2008.
- Review of Disconnected. Aversion.com.
- Song of the Day. Rolling Stone online (mirror at Yahoo!), 17 July 2008.
- For this album, Beat Union has hired music video director Daniel Chesnut to do videos for tracks: "Calling" and "Pressure Zone".Beat Union travel the world for summer festivals and fall dates with Flogging Molly and Less Than Jake. Cleveland Leader, 5 August 2008.
- Beat Union at Allmusic
- Beat Union to Flog Molly This Fall. Antimusic, 6 August 2008.
- BBC – Newsbeat – Lostprophets splitting up after 'year of heartache'
- LukeAnthonyJohnson SoundCloud