|Shadow Minister for Flooding & Coastal Communities|
|Assumed office |
30 July 2018
|Member of Parliament |
for Plymouth Sutton & Devonport
|Assumed office |
8 June 2017
|Preceded by||Oliver Colvile|
|Born||10 April 1980|
Plymouth, United Kingdom
|Political party||Labour Co-operative|
|Alma mater||University of Exeter|
Pollard was educated at Christleton High School followed by the University of Exeter, graduating with first-class honours in 2001. He was elected campaigns officer for the students' union in 2000 and president of the students' union in 2001.
Pollard worked as an advisor to George Foulkes before becoming Account Director at public relations and marketing firm Edelman. After that he was Head of Public Affairs for the Association of British Travel Agents from 2009 to 2014, and as a director at Field Consulting from 2015 until his election in 2017.
Pollard unsuccessfully contested the South West Devon constituency in 2010 and the Plymouth Sutton and Devonport constituency in 2015 before winning the latter seat in 2017 from incumbent Oliver Colvile on a swing of 7.2%.
In July 2017, he was appointed as Parliamentary Private Secretary to Labour's Shadow Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Secretary, Sue Hayman. Hayman cited his advocacy for Plymouth's fishing interests and his advocacy for Plymouth University academic Martin Attrill's proposal for Plymouth Sound to become the UK's first National Marine Park as reasons for appointing him. Pollard convinced his party to adopt the establishment of national marine parks as policy. Pollard was appointed Shadow Minister for Flooding and Coastal Communities on 30 July 2018.
He made a proposal to extend the M5 motorway to Plymouth, and has written to party leaders seeking funds to recycle retired nuclear submarines, many of which are stored in his Plymouth constituency.
- Pollard, Luke. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2018 (February 2018 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 14 February 2018. (subscription or UK public library membership required)
- "Luke Pollard : Candidates : Voter-Info". Voter-Info.
- "Luke Pollard MP". UK Parliament.
- "Plymouth Sutton & Devonport". Election 2017. BBC News. Retrieved 9 June 2017.
- "Field 'thrilled' as Pollard enters the Commons – Public Affairs News". www.publicaffairsnews.com.
- Rossiter, Keith (9 August 2018). "Plymouth MP Luke Pollard has a new job".
- "Karin Smyth and Luke Pollard get new Labour frontbench roles - LabourList". 30 July 2018.
- O'Leary, Miles (2017-09-14). "A Plymouth MP is going to help shape the UK's transport policy". plymouthherald. Retrieved 2017-09-15.
- "Luke Pollard".
- O'Leary, Miles (8 February 2018). "Why Plymouth may have to wait decades for a motorway".
- "MPs call for funding to recycle nuclear submarines". ITV News. Retrieved 2018-08-30.
- Official website
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament
for Plymouth Sutton and Devonport
|This article about a Labour Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom (MP) representing an English constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom elected at the 2017 general election or a subsequent by-election is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|