This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Birth name||Lucas Fitzpatrick Reynolds|
|Born||April 20, 1979|
|Genres||Pop, Folk, Electronic|
|Instruments||Vocals, Guitar, Keyboards, Bass, Pedal Steel, Programming|
|Associated acts||Pictures And Sound, Blue Merle, Guster, Neko Case, Miranda Lambert, Sarah Jarosz|
Luke Reynolds (born April 20, 1979) is a Grammy nominated American songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, producer and studio musician best known as a member of Guster since 2010, a founding member of the bands Blue Merle and Pictures And Sound and collaborator with Neko Case, Miranda Lambert and Sarah Jarosz.
Luke Reynolds was born and raised in and around Cornwall Vermont in a geodesic dome that his parents built in 1970. His mother worked in education. His father was a computer programmer and built boats and guitars.
Solo Work and Studio Work
In addition to Blue Merle, Pictures And Sound, and Guster, Reynolds has released three solo albums; The Space Between The Lines (2006), Maps (2010) and After The Flood (2014), the later of which featured Patrick Hallahan from My Morning Jacket on drums, Sam Cohen on guitar, keyboardist Max Hart and Josh Kauffman on bass. After The Flood was co-produced by Reynolds, Brad Bivens and Max Hart, recorded in Brooklyn and finished in Nashville and Los Angeles.
In 2010 he moved from Topanga Canyon, CA to Brooklyn, NY where he collaborated with songwriter Jesse Harris, Sam Cohen, Yellowbirds, and Brazilian guitarist Guilherme Montiero. In 2012 he played pedal steel and bass on The Greencards Grammy nominated album, Sweatheart Of The Sun. He also played keyboards with Yellowbirds on A Tribute To Bob Dylan In The 80s, Vol. 1, lead guitar on Rayland Baxter's, Imaginary Man, as well as guitar and keyboards on Corazones by Omar Rodriguez Lopez of the band, Mars Volta.
He worked on Sarah Jarosz's album Undercurrent which won Grammy for Best Folk Album at the 2017 Grammy Awards, providing guitar, pedal steel, vocals and co-writing. He played electric guitar, keyboards and samplers on The Weight Of These Wings by Miranda Lambert. The album was produced by Frank Liddell, Glenn Worf and Eric Masse. It won Album of the Year at the 2017 ACM Awards and was nominated for two Grammy Awards.
In 1999, Reynolds moved to Nashville to pursue music and attend Belmont University. He interned at Compass Records and Lost Highway Records. In 2002, he formed the band Blue Merle who signed with Universal Publishing, Island Records, CAA and Red Light Management. In February 2004, they began recording Burning In The Sun in Charlottesville, VA with British producer Stephen Harris. Strings were cut at Abbey Road in London and additional vocals recorded at Quad Studios in Nashville.
In February 2005, Blue Merle released Burning In The Sun. The album hit #8 on the Billboard Heatseekers chart and peaked at #199 on the Billboard 200. The single, Burning In The Sun, went top 5 at AAA radio and stayed there for over 8 weeks. They performed at Lollapalooza, Farm Aid and Bonnaroo and toured with J.J. Cale and Guster. Their last show was Friday, April 21, 2006 at Vanderbilt University's Rites of Spring music festival.
Pictures And Sound
Following Blue Merle, Reynolds left Nashville and spent the next two and a half years writing a body of work which would be released under the name Pictures And Sound. Gary Paczosa signed him to Vanguard Records. Pictures And Sound was released in August 2008. The album was produced by Jacquire King  and included a duet with Willie Nelson. Recording took place in Nashville at House Of David Studios.
Before starting their 2010 fall tour, Guster announced that Joe Pisapia would not be touring with the band. Instead, Joe would be touring with k.d. lang with whom he had been writing songs. It was also announced that Luke Reynolds would be filling in for Joe starting September 12, 2010. In 2014 the band began recording Evermotion in Cottage Grove, Oregon. Evermotion was released on January 13, 2015 and was produced by Richard Swift .
- 2016 The Weight of These Wings - Miranda Lambert (RCA)
- 2016 Undercurrent - Sarah Jarosz (Sugar Hill)
- 2015 Imaginary Man - Rayland Baxter (ATO)
- 2015 Evermotion - Guster (Ocho Mule)
- 2014 After The Flood - Luke Reynolds
- 2013 Live Acoustic - Guster (Ocho Mule)
- 2011 On The Ocean EP - Guster (Ocho Mule)
- 2011 Loverboy - Brett Dennen (Dualtone Records)
- 2011 Self Titled - The Belle Brigade (Warner Bros)
- 2010 Maps - Luke Reynolds
- 2010 Chicken & Egg - Tim O'Brien (Howdy Skies)
- 2008 Pictures And Sound - Pictures And Sound (Vanguard)
- 2007 Soundtrack - August Rush (Columbia)
- 2006 Space Between The Lines EP - Luke Reynolds (Independent)
- 2006 Hands Across The Water - A Benefit For The Children Of The Tsunami Compilation (Compass Records)
- 2005 Live At Bull Moose Blue Merle (Island)
- 2005 Burning In The Sun Blue Merle (Island)
- 2004 The Fires EP Blue Merle (Island)
- 2003 Traveler Tim O'Brien (Sugar Hill)
- Lindholm, Jane. "Guster's Luke Reynolds On Carpentry, His Solo Album And Calling Vermont Home". digital.vpr.net. Retrieved 2016-03-10.
- "Blue Merle | Awards | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-03-10.
- "Blue Merle - UnRated Music Magazine". www.unratedmagazine.com. Retrieved 2016-03-10.
- "Joe Pisapia Leaves Guster To Tour with k.d. lang". Retrieved 7 September 2010.
- "Working Swiftly". guster.tumblr.com. Retrieved 2016-03-10.
- "Evermotion - Guster | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-03-10.