Luleå University of Technology
Luleå tekniska universitet
|President||Birgitta Bergvall-Kåreborn (2017-) Johan Sterte (2009–2017)|
Luleå University of Technology (Swedish: Luleå tekniska universitet) of Sweden is Scandinavia's northernmost university of technology. It has four campuses, located in Luleå (the main campus), Kiruna (space science), Skellefteå (wood technology, 3D graphics and computer game engineering) and Piteå (Department of music and media).
The university was founded on 1 June 1971 at Porsön in Luleå as Högskoleenheten i Luleå. The name was later changed to Högskolan i Luleå (Luleå University College). In 1997, it was granted university status by the Swedish government, and is since known as Luleå University of Technology.
In 1977 it was merged with the older Teacher's Training College of Luleå and a year later Piteå School of Music (Musikhögskolan i Piteå) was created.
LTU offers 17 Master programs that include programs in Civil Engineering, Climate Sensitive Urban Planning and Building, Wood Technology, Spacecraft Design along with other programs.
As of 2005, there are three students' unions at the university, Teknologkåren vid Luleå tekniska universitet (the Student Association of Engineering at Luleå University of Technology) for students studying towards an engineering or other degree within the field of technology, Piteå Studentkår (the Students' Union in Piteå) and Luleå studentkår (Luleå Students' Union) for most other students.
The unions are divided into sections, each responsible for a somewhat arbitrary number of academic programmes. They are run by a board of eight to ten students for no profit.
Luleå Student Union has the following sections:
- SNS or System, Nytta och Samhälle for political science and systems science
- Pedagogsektionen for teacher education
- EkSek or Ekonomsektionen i Luleå for business administration
- PuSS or Psykologi- und Sociologisektionen for psychiatry and sociology
- JF or Juridiska Föreningen for jurisprudence
- BofS or Bodens Förenade Studenter for students in Boden
- LEKIS or Lärare och Ekonomer i Skellefteå for teaching and business students in Skellefteå
The Student Association of Engineering has the following sections:
- Datasektionen for computer science, space engineering, engineering physics and some other areas
- Geosektionen for civil engineering, geotechnical engineering, chemical engineering, environmental engineering and many other programmes
- Industriell managementsektionen for Industrial Management and Engineering
- Kirunasektionen for students in Kiruna
- Maskinteknologsektionen for mechanical engineering and related programmes
- Skellefteå teknologsektion for engineering students in Skellefteå
- Doktoranderna for PhD students
- Energetically modified cement
- Umeå Institute of Technology
- List of universities in Sweden
- List of forestry universities and colleges
Notes and references
- "Phd LTU (Swedish)". LTU. Retrieved August 17, 2014.
- Teknologkåren vid Luleå tekniska universitet - Hem
- PiSk - Piteå Studentkår
- Luleå Studentkår
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Luleå tekniska universitet.|
- Luleå University of Technology - Official site