Lum's was a family restaurant chain based in Florida, with locations in several states.
LUMS was founded in 1956 in Miami Beach, Florida, by Stuart and Clifford S. Perlman when they purchased Lum's hot dog stand for $10,000. Over the next few years, the Perlman brothers opened three additional Lum's restaurants, for a total of four by 1961.
Clifford Perlman, in addition to owning Lum's, had been serving as the president of Southern Wood Industries, Inc., resigned that position to work full-time for Lum's. Under the brothers, Lum's began aggressively expanding and franchising; the signature item was hot dogs steamed in beer. In 1969, Lum's, Inc. was admitted to the New York Stock Exchange.
Lum's, Inc. purchased Caesars Palace for $60 million in 1969. At that time, Caesars was a 500-room hotel-casino on the famous Las Vegas strip. The food operations of Lum's, Inc. were sold in 1971 to John Y. Brown, then chairman of Kentucky Fried Chicken along with a group of investors. At the time of sale, the company owned and franchised 400 stores in the continental U.S., Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and Europe.
In 1978, Wienerwald Holdings, A.G., a Swiss holding company and parent of the Wienerwald restaurant chain, under the direction of Friedrich Jahn, purchased the 273 restaurant chain from Brown. However, Wienerwald had overextended itself and was forced to file for bankruptcy in 1982.
Lum's in Seekonk Massachusetts is no longer open leaving the one in Bellevue, NE as the sole location
For a time in the '70s, the company's commercial spokesman was Milton Berle.
- "S. PERLMAN, CO-FOUNDED LUMS CHAIN". San Jose Mercury News. January 6, 1988. Retrieved October 11, 2007.
- "Lum's Chief: From Law to Hot Dogs". The New York Times. February 1, 1970. p. F12.
- Bamash, Isadore (July 24, 1971). "Resignation Denied By K.F.C. Chairman". The New York Times. pp. 31, 34.
- Tagliabue, John (July 18, 1981). "Wienerwald's U.S. Challenge". The New York Times. p. 29.
- "Lums first store to shut down". Miami Herald. May 22, 1983. Retrieved October 11, 2007.
- "Lums Restaurant – Bellevue, NE". Yelp.com. Retrieved May 10, 2012.
- Providence Journal: "Things to Do - Lum's"