Luna, New Mexico
Luna, New Mexico
|Coordinates: 33°49′8″N 108°57′16″W / 33.81889°N 108.95444°WCoordinates: 33°49′8″N 108°57′16″W / 33.81889°N 108.95444°W|
|• Total||5.57 sq mi (14.42 km2)|
|• Land||5.56 sq mi (14.40 km2)|
|• Water||0.01 sq mi (0.02 km2)|
|Elevation||7,041 ft (2,146 m)|
|• Density||34.90/sq mi (13.47/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Mountain (MST))|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT|
|GNIS feature ID||908319|
Luna is a census-designated place in northwestern Catron County, New Mexico, United States. As of the 2010 census it had a population of 158. It is situated on the San Francisco River and U.S. Route 180, 7 miles (11 km) east of the Arizona border and 20 miles (32 km) northwest of Reserve, the Catron county seat.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
In the 19th century Luna was part of the extensive lands of Don Salomon Luna, and the valley was used for sheep ranching. It briefly was an outlaw hide-away, but was settled by Mormon ranchers in 1883 and subject to Chiricahua Apache attacks until the surrender of Geronimo. The town was named after Don Salomon Luna.
The post office was opened in 1886;
It is in the Reserve Independent School District.
"Mormon Pioneer Day" is celebrated on the Saturday closest to July 24 at the village rodeo grounds with a parade, rodeo and dance.
On the 4th of July, festivities are held as well as a cake making contest.
- ^ "ArcGIS REST Services Directory". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved October 12, 2022.
- ^ a b U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Luna, New Mexico
- ^ a b "Census Population API". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Oct 12, 2022.
- ^ "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Luna CDP, New Mexico". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on February 12, 2020. Retrieved October 16, 2014.
- ^ "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- ^ "2020 CENSUS - SCHOOL DISTRICT REFERENCE MAP: Catron County, NM" (PDF). U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2022-07-12.
- Pearce, T. M. (1965) "Luna" New Mexico place names; a geographical dictionary University of New Mexico Press, Albuquerque, NM, p. 94, OCLC 420847
- Julyan, Robert Hixson (1998) "Luna" The place names of New Mexico (2nd ed.) University of New Mexico Press, Albuquerque, NM, p. 215, ISBN 0-8263-1688-3