|Origin||Monroe, Wisconsin, United States|
|Genres||Melodic death metal
|Years active||2001-2010, 2013–2015|
|Past members||Mary Zimmer
The band was formed in late 2001 in Monroe, Wisconsin as The Ottoman Empire. In 2006, the band self-released their debut studio album, Way of the Blade. In June 2007, Luna Mortis played the first Flight of the Valkyries female-fronted metal festival in St. Paul, MN under their original name, The Ottoman Empire.
In 2008, the band self-released an EP, The Answer: Does Not Exist. That same year, the band changed their name to Luna Mortis and signed a recording contract with Century Media. On February 10, 2009, the band released their debut for Century Media, The Absence, which was recorded in 2008 at the Audio Hammer Studios and produced by Jason Suecof.
On February 15, 2010, Brian Koenig announced on Luna Mortis' MySpace page that the band had been dissolved and the members would be going their separate ways. On February 11, 2013, The band announced through their Facebook profile that the band would be reuniting in 2013, planning festival appearances and new material.  However, after only two shows as a reunited band, the members decided once again to part ways.
In 2015, vocalist Mary Zimmer joined the band White Empress, a new project created by former Cradle of Filth guitarist Paul Allender. Around the same time, guitarist Brian Koenig joined the band Lords of the Trident. Mary later became the singer for a band called Santa Marta.
Luna Mortis' musical style is often described as a mixture of different genres. Among the genres used to describe Luna Mortis are melodic death metal, power metal, progressive metal, and thrash metal. The band's vocal style is characterized by Mary Zimmer's use of both clean vocals and growled vocals. Brian Koenig, the band's principal songwriter, states some of his influences were Dream Theater, Joe Satriani, Megadeth, Metallica, Yngwie Malmsteen, and classical music. Mary Zimmer states some of her influences were At the Gates and Carcass.
- Mary Zimmer – Vocals
- Brian Koenig – Guitar
- Cory Scheider – Guitar
- Jacob Bare – Bass
- Erik Madsen – Drums
- Todd Olson - Guitar, Vocals
- Brad Lupo - Guitar
- Paul Kline - Guitar
- Nick Conti - Bass
- Zack Zweifel - Drums
- Twice Demo (2002)
- Curse of the Sun EP (2004)
- Way of the Blade (2006)
- The Answer: Does Not Exist EP (2008)
- The Absence (2009)
Works prior to The Absence were released under the band's former name, The Ottoman Empire.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2013)|
- "OUTBURN No. 47". Outburn. Retrieved March 7, 2009.
- Sandeep (April 9, 2007). "Metal Monday: The Ottoman Empire The Way of the Blade". Sound on the Sound. Retrieved March 7, 2009.
- Mike (April 27, 2007). "The Ottoman Empire (now called Luna Mortis)". Adrenalin Metal Union. Retrieved March 7, 2009.
- "LUNA MORTIS Comments On CENTURY MEDIA Deal". blabbermouth.net. July 28, 2008. Retrieved March 7, 2009.
- "The Ottoman Empire Changes Name to Luna Mortis". metalunderground.com. June 29, 2009. Retrieved March 7, 2009.
- "LUNA MORTIS Returning To AUDIOHAMMER Studios". blabbermouth.net. August 15, 2008. Retrieved March 7, 2009.
- "Luna Mortis Announces Reunion". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 2014-01-11.
- Bowar, Chad (February 11, 2009). "Luna Mortis Interview: A Conversation With Vocalist Mary Zimmer". About.com. Retrieved March 7, 2009.