Lunds & Byerlys
Lunds & Byerlys are upscale supermarkets in the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area of Minnesota. They are owned and operated by Lund Food Holdings, Inc. As of 2016, there are 26 locations in the Twin Cities area as well as another in St. Cloud, MN. Its services include Caribou Coffee.
Lunds and Byerly's were competing companies until 1997 when Lunds acquired Byerly's. They continued to operate under their individual names until April 2015, when the stores were rebranded Lunds & Byerlys. In 2006, they launched its online grocery shopping service. Shoppers have the option of either picking up their groceries at certain stores or having it delivered to their home.
Lunds was founded as Hove's in the early twentieth century at the corner of Lake Street and Hennepin Avenue in the Uptown neighborhood of Minneapolis. Russell Lund, Sr., an employee, took an equity stake in the cheese and cracker department in 1922 and after founding a popcorn business, a larger stake in 1939. The chain took the Lunds name in 1964.
History of Lunds store openings
- 1939 Minneapolis (Hennepin & Lake)
- 1942 Edina (50th & France)
- 1967 Richfield (Penn Avenue)
- 1969 Minnetonka
- 1983 St. Paul (Ford Parkway)
- 1984 Wayzata
- 1994 Bloomington (Normandale)
- 2001 Plymouth
- 2006 Orono (Navarre)
- 2006 Minneapolis (Central & University)
- 2012 Minneapolis (12th & Hennepin)
- 2013 Prior Lake
- 2014 Wayzata (Town Center) (Lunds & Byerlys Kitchen)
- 2014 St. Paul (downtown in the Penfield)
Byerly's stores, which range in size from 50,000 to 90,000 square feet (8,400 m2), were previously open 24 hours a day. Store hours changed in February 2008 and are now open 6am to 12am. Byerly's locations also offer in-store United States Post Offices, full-service banks, pharmacies, coffee shops, floral departments, and wines & spirits shops. The Saint Paul Byerly's restaurant location has closed due to the lack of customers.
The store is known for its "great customer service" and its deli and bakery. Byerly's is commonly viewed as high-end grocery shopping, and prices are therefore relatively similar to other retail stores selling the same brands. Product quality however is the core focus of Lunds & Byerlys and the prices reflect higher quality products.
In April 1997, the company was purchased by Lund Food Holdings, Inc., parent company of Edina-based Lunds.
History of Byerly's store openings
- 1968 Golden Valley
- 1971 St. Paul
- 1973 Edina
- 1977 St. Cloud
- 1980 St. Louis Park
- 1982 Minnetonka
- 1986 Bloomington
- 1987 Roseville
- 1988 Burnsville
- 1994 Chanhassen
- 1996 Eagan
- 1999 Maple Grove
- 2006 Minneapolis
- 2014 Woodbury
- 2014 Eden Prairie.
History of Lunds & Byerlys store openings
- 2015 Minnetonka (Glen Lake)
- Black, Sam (12 August 2011). "Big changes for Edina Byerly's?". Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal. Minneapolis–Saint Paul, Minnesota: American City Business Journals. Retrieved 18 April 2014.
- Alexander, Steve (9 July 2014). "Five Rainbow Foods stores get new names, and seven more soon will". Star Tribune. Minneapolis. Retrieved 9 July 2014.