Luo Yuan (admiral)
|Born||1950 (age 68–69)|
Cangxi County, Sichuan, China
|Allegiance||People's Republic of China|
|Service/||People's Liberation Army Navy|
|Relations||Luo Qingchang (father)|
Luo Yuan (simplified Chinese: 罗援; traditional Chinese: 羅援; pinyin: Luó Yuán; born 1950), is a Chinese author, social commentator, and military theorist at the PLA Academy of Military Science. He holds the rank of rear admiral in the People's Liberation Army Navy, he is a supporter of communist orthodoxy and has expressed nationalist, anti-American and anti-western sentiments.
In 1950, during the Korean War, Luo was born in Cangxi County, Sichuan Province, Luo's father Luo Qingchang was a politician and revolutionary. He has six brothers and sisters. His oldest brother, Luo Kang (罗抗), was born during the Second Sino-Japanese War. His middle brother, Luo Ting (罗挺), was born during the Chinese Civil War. His fourth younger brother is Luo Zhen (罗振).
In 1966, the Cultural Revolution was launched by Mao Zedong. Luo Qingchang was denounced as a capitalist roader and suffered political persecution. His comrades sent Luo Yuan to the army as a soldier in Yunnan Province. In 1978, Luo was transferred back to Beijing.
In December 2018, Luo proposed that a possible solution to tensions with the United States in the South China Sea would be to sink one or two United States Navy aircraft carriers to break US resolve.
- "微博大战：复旦冯玮VS.将军罗援" (in Chinese). Ta Kung Pao. Archived from the original on 2013-03-09. Retrieved 2013-02-22. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- 罗援:我们必须铭记那些为共和国流血牺牲的英雄 (in Chinese). Xinhua. Archived from the original on 2011-10-13. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- 美国留不住中国学生 (in Chinese). People's Daily. Retrieved 2005-03-18.
- 罗援少将被质疑 (in Chinese). Radio France International. Retrieved 2013-02-25.
- Lockie, Alex (January 11, 2019). "China sets the stage for a 'bloody nose' attack on US aircraft carriers, but it would backfire horribly". Business Insider.
- Hendrix, Jerry (January 4, 2019). "China should think twice before threatening to attack Americans". Fox News.
- Chang, Gordon G. (December 31, 2018). "Forty Years After U.S. Recognition, China Is 'America's Greatest Foreign Policy Failure'". The Daily Beast.
- "罗援少将在2018军工榜颁奖典礼与创新峰会上的演讲 - Major General Luo Yuan's speech at the 2018 Military Industry Awards Ceremony and Innovation Summit" (in Chinese). kunlunce.com/. December 25, 2018.
现在美国有11艘航空母舰，我们是不是要发展12艘航母，才能跟美国抗衡呢？我觉得这种思路错了，我们不能搞军备竞赛。历史的经验告诉我们，美国最怕死人。我们现在有东风21D、东风26导弹，这是航母杀手锏，我们击沉它一艘航母，让它伤亡5000人 - Now there are 11 aircraft carriers in the United States. Do we want to develop 12 aircraft carriers to compete with the United States? I think this kind of thinking is wrong. We can't engage in an arms race. Historical experience tells us that the United States is most afraid of the dead. We now have Dongfeng 21D and Dongfeng 26 missiles. This is the aircraft carrier killer. If we sink an aircraft carrier, it will kill 5,000 people; if we sink two ships, we kill 10,000 people.