Lupin (TV series)
|Created by||George Kay|
|Based on||Arsène Lupin|
by Maurice Leblanc
|Written by||George Kay|
|Country of origin||France|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||7|
|Production company||Gaumont Television|
|Original release||8 January 2021|
Lupin is a French mystery comedy streaming television series created by George Kay and François Uzan that premiered on Netflix on 8 January 2021. The series consists of 10 episodes, released in two parts. The show stars Omar Sy in the role of Assane Diop, a man who is inspired by the adventures of Arsène Lupin, a character created by Maurice Leblanc.
The story follows professional thief Assane Diop, the only son of an immigrant from Senegal who had come to France to seek a better life for his child. Assane's father is framed for the theft of an expensive diamond necklace by his employer, the wealthy and powerful Hubert Pellegrini, and hangs himself in his prison cell out of shame, leaving the teenage Assane an orphan. Twenty-five years later, inspired by a book about gentleman thief Arsène Lupin his father had given him on his birthday, Assane sets out to get revenge on the Pellegrini family, using his charisma and mastery of thievery, subterfuge, and disguise to expose Hubert's crimes.
Cast and characters
- Omar Sy as Assane Diop
- Vincent Londez as Captain Romain Laugier
- Ludivine Sagnier as Claire
- Clotilde Hesme as Juliette Pellegrini
- Nicole Garcia as Anne Pellegrini
- Hervé Pierre as Hubert Pellegrini
- Soufiane Guerrab as Youssef Guedira
- Antoine Gouy as Benjamin Ferel
- Fargass Assandé as Babakar Diop
- Shirine Boutella as Lieutenant Sofia Belkacem
- Etan Simon as Raoul
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date |
|1||"Chapter 1 - Le Collier de la reine"||Louis Leterrier||TBA||8 January 2021|
|Years after a tragic injustice, Assane seeks to settle a score—and a debt—by stealing a diamond necklace, but the heist takes an unexpected turn.|
|2||"Chapter 2 - L'Illusion"||Angelica Astilla||TBA||8 January 2021|
|Assane hatches a plot to contact Comet, an inmate who steers him to a clue about Babakar's demise. Anne Pellegrini comes clean about the past.|
|3||"Chapter 3 - Le Commissaire Dumont"||Louis Leterrier||TBA||8 January 2021|
|Assane confronts Commissioner Dumont and plants a decoy to divert the police. Hubert Pellegrini's connection to Babakar's fate comes to light.|
|4||"Chapter 4 - Volte-face"||Marcela Said||TBA||8 January 2021|
|To retrieve incriminating evidence on Hubert, Assane enlists the help of a journalist. Officer Guédira connects the dots around the Louvre heist.|
|5||"Chapter 5 - Étretat"||Marcela Said||TBA||8 January 2021|
|En route to Étretat with Claire and Raoul, Assane encounters an unwelcome figure. In a bind, he sends a message to Captain Laugier.|
On the review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes, the series holds an approval rating of 93% with an average rating of 7.62/10, based on 15 reviews. The first season received positive reviews, ending up with a Metacritic score of 85.
Lupin is the first French series to rank among the top 10 of Netflix in the United States, reaching No. 3 on January 10. It was ranked No. 1 in France and many other countries in Europe, including Germany, Austria, Italy, Spain, Denmark, and Sweden, as well as other countries around the world such as Canada, Brazil, Argentina, and South Africa.
- Morris, Lauren (8 January 2021). "When is French crime drama Lupin on Netflix?". Radio Times. Retrieved 8 January 2021.
- "The trailer for Netflix's Lupin introduces a new gentleman thief". polygon.com. 29 September 2020. Retrieved 9 December 2020.
- "Netflix Releases Premiere Date and Trailer for 'Lupin' Starring Omar Sy (TV News Roundup)". variety.com. 2 December 2020. Retrieved 9 December 2020.
- "Lupin trailer offers a fresh retelling of classic French gentleman thief". arstechnica.com. 2 December 2020. Retrieved 9 December 2020.
- "Lupin Trailer: Omar Sy Stars in Netflix's New Heist Series". comingsoon.net. 2 December 2020. Retrieved 9 December 2020.
- "Lupin – Listings". The Futon Critic. Retrieved 17 December 2020.
- "LUPIN: SEASON 1 (2021)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 18 January 2021.
- Lupin, retrieved 18 January 2021
- Tartaglione, Nancy (11 January 2011). "Netflix's 'Lupin' Becomes First French Series To Debut On Streamer's U.S. Top Ten List". Deadline.
- Scott, Sheena (14 January 2021). "'Lupin' Is Netflix's Most Popular French Series". Forbes.