Lupus I of Aquitaine
Lupus I (also Lupo, Loup, Lobo, Otsoa, or Otxoa) was the Duke of Gascony and Aquitaine from about 670. His reign may have lasted a few years (to 676) or longer (to 710). He is often considered the progenitor of the Gascon dynasty of Lupus II and the Aquitainian dynasty the Eudonians.
Lupus was the successor of Felix, whose duchy seemed to encompass almost an identical territory to the kingdom of Charibert II. Sometime after 658, Lupus rebelled against Felix and later succeeded him. He held Toulouse and Bordeaux in 673, at which time he allied with Flavius Paulus against Wamba, the king of the Visigoths, and attacked Béziers. He convoked the important synod of Bordeaux between 673 and 675. In 675, he attempted to seize Limoges, to his own destruction. He was assassinated in the process, the author of the Miracle of Saint Martial writing in sedem regam se adstare. Thereafter, the sources are silent about him and his successor(s).
- Miracula. The rebellion was recorded to occur during the mayorship of Ebroin.
- Lewis, p 400 and n127. Julian of Toledo, p 524-5, calls him princeps.
- Higounet, p 20 and n43. viro inlustri Lupone duce was faithful to Childeric II.
- Miracula. This reference to his "kingdom" or "realm" is often taken as evidence of his de facto independent status (as in Lewis), which was certainly the status of his next known successor, Odo the Great.
- Estornés Lasa, Bernardo. Auñamendi Encyclopedia: Ducado de Vasconia.
- Sedycias, João. História da Língua Espanhola.
- Monlezun, Jean Justin. Histoire de la Gascogne. 1846.
- Cawley, Charles, Medieval Lands Project: Gascony., Medieval Lands database, Foundation for Medieval Genealogy,[self-published source][better source needed]
- Lewis, Archibald R. "The Dukes in the Regnum Francorum, A.D. 550-751." Speculum, Vol. 51, No. 3. (July 1976), pp. 381–410.
- Higounet, Charles. Bordeaux pendant le haut moyen age. Bordeaux, 1963.
- Julian of Toledo. Historia Wambæ regis. MGH SS rer Merov V.
- Miracula Sancti Martialis Lemovicensis. MGH SS XV.