Kenneth Kaunda International Airport
|Airport type||Civilian and military|
|Operator||National Airport Corporation Limited|
|Elevation AMSL||3,779 ft / 1,152 m|
Sources: National Airport Corporation Limited (NACL)
Kenneth Kaunda International Airport (IATA: LUN, ICAO: FLKK) is an international airport in Lusaka, Zambia, and was the hub of Zambian Airways. It was officially known as Lusaka International Airport before being renamed in 2011 in honour of Kenneth Kaunda, the nation's first president. The airport has a capacity of two million passengers per year. The airport has a number of amenities and resources including a restaurant, bar, convenience store, domestic and international ATMs, and mobile telecom storefronts (to purchase local cell phones or SIM cards and credit for international phones).
The airport is located off the Great East Road, approximately 14 kilometres (8.7 mi) northeast of the central business district of Lusaka, the capital and largest city of Zambia.
Airlines and destinations
|Air Namibia||Harare, Windhoek|
|Ethiopian Airlines||Addis Ababa, Harare|
|Fastjet||Dar es Salaam|
|Kenya Airways||Harare, Nairobi-Jomo Kenyatta|
|Mahogany Air||Chipata, Livingstone, Mfuwe, Ndola, Solwezi|
|Malawi Airlines||Blantyre, Lilongwe|
|Proflight Zambia||Chipata, Durban (Begins 22 September 2015), Jeki, Kasama, Kasanka, Lilongwe, Livingstone, Lubumbashi, Mfuwe, Ndola, Solwezi|
|RwandAir||Johannesburg-OR Tambo, Kigali|
|South African Airways||Johannesburg-OR Tambo|
|South African Express||Durban|
|TAAG Angola Airlines||Luanda|
|Zimbabwe flyafrica||HarareJohannesburg-OR Tambo, Lubumbashi (begins 14 September 2015)|
Taxis are the most common form of transport to and from the city, as distances are fairly short 15 to 20-minute ride to the city centre. Most major car hire companies are represented, however reservations should be made in advance to arrange for a pick-up, as most rental offices are in the city. There is also a mini-bus service that passes by the airport, but only serves a single route to the city centre via Great East Road.
- "CopperNET Solutions Limited!". Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Lusaka". Zambia Tourism Board. 2012. Retrieved 2 June 2012.
- "Fastjet to launch second international route in February". Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- Fast Jet destinations 2014, http://www.fastjet.com/tz/destinations
- "Zambia's Mahogany Air to take delivery of first Beech 1900D". ch-aviation.com. Retrieved 26 September 2014.
- "Malawian Airlines Revises Planned Launch Date". Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Rwandair Adds Lusaka - Johannesburg Service from late-March 2015". Airline Route. 10 March 2015. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- "Fly Africa Delays Lusaka Launch to May 2015". Airline Route. 3 March 2015. Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- Location of Lusaka International Airport At Google Maps
- Official website
- Accident history for LUN at Aviation Safety Network
- Airport information for FLLS at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective Oct. 2006).
- Current weather for FLLS at NOAA/NWS
- Airport information for FLLS at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.Source: DAFIF.