|Studio album by Luther|
|Released||June 1976 (U.S.)|
(New York City, New York)
The Hit Factory
|Genre||soul, disco, funk|
|Producer||Luther Vandross, Nat Adderley, Jr.|
Luther is the debut album by American recording artist group Luther, released in May 1976. The album features Luther Vandross and along with members Anthony Hinton, Diane Sumler, Theresa V. Reed, and Christine Wiltshire.
In the late '70s, R&B/pop legend, the-late Luther Vandross at that time was part of a singing quintet, consisting of former group Shades of Jade members Anthony Hinton and Diane Sumler, Theresa V. Reed, and Christine Wiltshire, also called Luther, signed to Cotillion Records. Although the singles "It's Good for the Soul", "Funky Music (Is a Part of Me)", and "The 2nd Time Around" were relatively successful, the self-titled Luther, didn't sell enough to make the charts. Vandross bought back the rights to the album after the record label dropped the group, preventing its later re-release.
|1.||"Funky Music (Is a Part of Me)"||Luther Vandross||5:29|
|2.||"The 2nd Time Around"||Vandross||6:25|
|3.||"I'll Get Along Fine"||Vandross||4:07|
|5.||"Emotion Eyes"||Hubert Eaves III, Vandross||5:58|
|6.||"This Strange Feeling"||Vandross||4:44|
|7.||"It's Good for the Soul (Parts I & II)"||Vandross||8:42|
- Track 4: "Everybody Rejoice" is from the Tony Award 7x Winning (including Best Broadway Musical), "THE WIZ" (1975).
- Bass – George Murray
- Drums – Andy Newmark, Daryl R. Brown
- Guitar – Carlos Alomar
- Keyboards – Nat Adderley, Jr.
- Lead Vocals – Anthony Hinton, Luther Vandross
- Percussion – Pablo Rosario
- Arranged By – Paul Riser
- Contractor [Strings & Horns] – Al Brown
- Executive Producer – David Krevat
- Producer, Written-By – Luther Vandross
- Vocals – Anthony Hinton, Christine Wiltshire, G. Diane Sumler, Luther Vandross, Theresa V. Reed
|1976||"It's Good for the Soul (Pt. 1)"||102||28|
|"Funky Music (Is a Part of Me)" (A-side)||—||34|
|"The 2nd Time Around" (B-side)||—|