A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (May 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
He then went solo, starting with "Lowdown World" (1997), "Down At Kit's" (1999), and "Spare Change" (2001), all recorded while living in Portland, Oregon. It was also in the great northwest that Russell produced many independent records by such acclaimed artists as Richmond Fontaine and Fernando. Since relocating back to his hometown of Los Angeles in, he released his fourth solo record titled Repair, which was produced by Ethan Johns (Kings of Leon, The Jayhawks, Ryan Adams). Russell and Johns also co-produced the debut album of singer Sarabeth Tucek. He has also worked with The Relationship featuring Brian Bell of Weezer , co-producing their albums and latest single. After producing a string of albums and singles between 2007 and 2010 by artists such as Noah And The Whale, Folks, Horse Stories and many more, Russell released the critically acclaimed double-album, The Invisible Audience (2011). Russell has gone on to form Those Pretty Wrongs with Jody Stephens of Big Star. Their debut 7" was released in 2015 on Burger Records. Their debut LP released May 13, 2016 on the Ardent Music label.
- The Freewheelers (DGC, 1991),
- The Freewheelers Play Bob Russell (Promo LP, 1993),
- Waitin' For George (American Recordings, 1996).
- Lowdown World (Highland, 1997)
- Down At Kit's (Cravedog, 1999)
- Spare Change (In Music We Trust, 2001)
- Repair (2007)
- "Good Music b/w Sidekick Reverb" (single) 2009
- Motorbike EP (2010)
- The Invisible Audience (2011)
- Bessman, Jim (8 January 2005). Russell's Songs Still 'Get Around' At ASCAP Fete, Billboard (magazine)
- Pareles, Jon (8 September 1991). "The New Season: The Annotated Calendar; Pop & Jazz", The New York Times ("THE FREEWHEELERS A chunky, down-home rock album steeped in the Band, from a group led by a raw-throated 19-year-old songwriter, Luther Russell. Sept. 17 (Geffen).")
- Lowdown World, No Depression ("Though still in his 20s, Luther Russell has already packed nearly a lifetime into his career in music. He absorbed a lot playing in bands in Los Angeles since early adolescence, signing with ...")
- "Down At Kit's - Luther Russell | User Reviews | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- "Spare Change - Luther Russell | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- "Luther Russell - Repair". No Depression. 2007-05-31. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- "The Quietus | Reviews | Luther Russell". The Quietus. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- (31 July 2011). Luther Russell's 'invisible audience' should be heard, The Eagle-Tribune
- "Big Star's Jody Stephens Starts New Band Those Pretty Wrongs, Shares "Lucky Guy"". Pitchfork. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- "The Freewheelers - Freewheelers | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-02-07.
- "Waitin' for George - Freewheelers | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-02-07.