Lutheran High School North (Missouri)
|Lutheran High School North|
5401 Lucas & Hunt Road|
St. Louis, Missouri 63121
|Motto||Achieve, Believe, Belong!|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod|
|Sister school||Lutheran High School South|
|President||Dr. Alan Runge|
|Schedule type||Block Scheduling|
|Color(s)||Maroon and gold|
|Athletics conference||Metro League|
|Affiliation||Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod|
Lutheran High School North (LHSN) is a parochial Christian high school in St. Louis County, Missouri in the United States. It currently offers education in grades nine through twelve, and is associated with the Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod. Lutheran North's mission states the following:
"Lutheran High School North is a diverse educational community whose unity is in Jesus Christ. We exist to nurture young Christians for further education and Christian service."
Lutheran North is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, National Lutheran Schools and is a Charter Member of the National Alliance of High Schools. It's governing body is a 15-member Board of Trustees, appointed by the 63 member congregations of the Lutheran High School Association of the Greater St. Louis Area. Lutheran North is currently administrated by Mr. Timothy Brackman as Principal and Mr. Daniel Wenger as Dean of Students.
Lutheran North operates on an alternating-day block schedule consisting of eight blocks. The first four blocks are held on Maroon (A) Days and the remaining four blocks are held on Gold (B) Days. Lutheran North was one of the first high schools in the St. Louis area to move from a traditional 7-period schedule to the block schedule. This took place in the 1994-1995 school year. In addition, the school has long been noted for its emphasis on the integration of technology in the classroom. Beginning in the 2012-2013 school year, Lutheran North, along with its sister school, Lutheran High School South, started a "One to one" technology initiative. This initiative was intended to help students integrate technology into all aspects of their education, most notably through the distribution of iPads to every student and faculty member.
Over 85% of the teachers at Lutheran North hold a Master's degree. Over 96% of the students who graduate from LHSN attend a four-year university and about 95% of the student body participates in at least one co-curricular activity.
Worship Services at Lutheran North can be divided into the following two categories:
- Small Group
Chapel is held every day of the week except Wednesday in the school gymnasium. Administrated by the Dean of Chapel, Rev. Darin Keener, Chapel services are typically quite traditional and usually follow the order of the historical Lutheran liturgy. Monday morning Chapel services consist of the reading of scripture passages appointed for the week and the singing of hymns found in the Lutheran Worship hymnal. Services on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday typically include a brief sermon or message, and the order of Confession and Absolution is typically administered at least once per week.
A small group of students is assigned the task of setting up the movable altar and pulpit, along with appropriate banners and paraments for the current season of the Church year every day before Chapel. This "Chapel Crew" is compiled and organized by Pastor Keener.
Small Group is held every Wednesday morning in place of Chapel. Students meet in groups of 15-20 students in their assigned classrooms for a time of prayer and devotion. Each Small group is peer led by at least two "Peer Ministers", and is supervised by two faculty advisers. Each Small Group collects an offering and decides on a charitable organization for which they want to raise funds.
Peer Ministers are exemplary students (10th-12th) who have been applied to serve as spiritual mentors, role models, and leaders at Lutheran High School North. Held to the highest of standards personally, behaviorally, and academically, Peer Ministers are not only responsible for setting good examples for other students, but are also in charge of leading Small Group devotions. Peer Ministers are required to attend a training session before each school year. The Peer Ministry Program is organized by Mrs. Cindy Burreson.
- Steve Atwater, class of 1984, former National Football League (NFL) player with the Denver Broncos
- Jim Crane, class of 1972, Houston based logistics businessman, part-owner of the Houston Astros
- Robert Douglas, class of 2000, former National Football League (NFL) player with the New York Giants
- Bobby Joe Edmonds, class of 1982, former National Football League (NFL) player with the Seattle Seahawks, Los Angeles Raiders, and Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Kimora Lee Simmons, class of 1993, fashion model
- Kurt Peterson, class of 1975, former National Football League (NFL) player with the Dallas Cowboys
- "Lutheran High School North -- Who We Are". Archived from the original on 2016-12-21.
- "Lutheran High School North -- 21st Century Learning". Archived from the original on 2016-12-21.
- "Lutheran High School North -- At a Glance". Archived from the original on 2016-12-21.
- "Lutheran High School North -- Home".
- "Lutheran High School North -- Spiritual Life". Archived from the original on 2016-12-21.
- "Lutheran High School North -- Co-Curricular Activities". Archived from the original on 2016-12-21.