Lutheran Services in America
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|United States, Caribbean|
|Fields||Healthcare & Human services|
President & CEO
Lutheran Services in America (LSA) is a not-for-profit corporation that coordinates the work of over 300 independent Lutheran health and human service organizations affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America or the Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod. It is headquartered in Washington, DC. In terms of revenue, it is the single largest charitable organization in America.
These organizations provided health and human services to over 6 million people throughout the United States and the Caribbean and estimates that in any given year their programs touch the lives of 1 in every 50 Americans. Building upon the strengths of people and communities, Lutheran social ministry organizations address a wide range of needs, including those of the elderly, children and families, people with special needs, prisoners, people with disabilities, and provide disaster response in communities.
Although Lutheran Services in America was established in 1997, LSA continues the one-and-one-half century practice of organized Lutheran efforts to serve those in need. Many of these social ministry organizations were established in the mid-19th century as hospitals or orphanages. New organizations continue to be developed as contemporary needs are identified. More than a quarter-million volunteers and staff members treat acute and chronic illnesses of body and mind, provide care for the whole person in need, and strengthen and empower individuals and families to care for themselves, for one another, and for their communities. Services are open to all people regardless of religious affiliation. Indeed, the vast majority of people who receive care from Lutheran service organizations are not Lutheran.
- "Lutheran Services in America - A Thriving Network". Lutheran Services in America. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- "Contact Us". Lutheran Services in America. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- "Staff". Lutheran Services in America. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-08-07. Retrieved 2011-08-04.
- Beisel, Teresa Anna Katharina (2012). Die Organisationsstruktur und -identität lutherischer Hilfsorganisationen in den USA – Eine exemplarische Untersuchung von Lutheran Services in America (LSA) und ausgewählten Mitgliedsorganisationen [Organisational Structure and Identity of Lutheran Aid Organizations in the USA: An Examination of Lutheran Services in America (LSA) and Selected Member Organisations] (Thesis) (in German). University of Heidelberg.