Luuk van Middelaar
Luuk Johannes van Middelaar (born 9 May 1973 in Eindhoven) is a Dutch historian and political philosopher. From December 2009 to 2014 Van Middelaar was member of the cabinet of Herman Van Rompuy, the first President of the European Council.
He is best known for his book The Passage to Europe (originally published in 2009; widely translated). Van Middelaar studied history and philosophy at the University of Groningen and the Centre Raymond Aron of the École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales in Paris. In 1999 his masters thesis (doctoraalscriptie in Dutch) "Politicide" was published and awarded the Prix de Paris (Prize of Paris). He became for a time the political adviser and speechwriter of Frits Bolkestein (2002-2004) and Jozias van Aartsen (2004-2006). In 2009 he got his Ph.D from the University of Amsterdam with a cum laude distinction.
In December 2012 he was awarded the European Book Prize for The passage to Europe. Since early 2015, he has a weekly political column in NRC Handelsblad, taking up a position he also held previously (2008-2009). In 2015 Van Middelaar was appointed professor Foundations and Practice of the European Union and its Institutions at Leiden University in the Netherlands. He also holds a chair at the French-speaking Université catholique de Louvain.
- Luuk van Middelaar (2017) De nieuwe politiek van Europa. Groningen: Historische Uitgeverij
- Luuk van Middelaar & Philippe Van Parijs (eds.) (2015), After the Storm. How to Save Democracy in Europe. Tielt: Lannoo.
- Luuk van Middelaar (2013) The Passage to Europe. How a Continent Became a Union (London and New Haven: Yale University Press).
- Luuk van Middelaar (2009) De passage naar Europa, Geschiedenis van een begin (The passage to Europe. History of a Beginning). Groningen: Historische uitgeverij
- Madelon de Keizer & Luuk van Middelaar, (ed.) (2002). Utopie: utopisch denken, doen en bouwen in de twintigste eeuw (Utopia. Utopian Thinking, Acting and Building in the Twentieth Century) (Jaarboek van het Nederlands Instituut voor Oorlogsdocumentatie), Zutphen: Walburg Pers
- Luuk van Middelaar (1999) Politicide: De moord op de politiek in de Franse filosofie (Politicide. The Murder of Politics in French Philosophy; masters thesis, published in the series: Kennis, openbare mening, politiek). Amsterdam: Van Gennep
- See: 'Columnist Van Middelaar gaat naar kabinet van Van Rompuy', NRC Handelsblad, 23 December 2009 (News Article in Dutch).
- The Passage to Europe, published by Yale University Press.
- Leiden University, 'Luuk van Middelaar benoemd tot Hoogleraar Grondslagen en praktijk van de Europese Unie en haar instellingen', July 2015.
- Politicide - from the Foundation for the Production and Translation of Dutch Literature
- (in Dutch) Luuk van Middelaar - Columns NRC Handelsblad
- Luuk van Middelaar - personal website
|This biographical article related to politics is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|