Luxair Flight 9642
The aircraft involved in the accident seen here at Findel Airport in 1992.
|Date||6 November 2002|
|Summary||Controlled flight into terrain, pilot error|
|Aircraft type||Fokker F50|
|Flight origin||Berlin Tempelhof Airport|
|Destination||Luxembourg Findel Airport|
On 6 November 2002, LX-LGB, a Fokker F50 aircraft on the route crashed and burned on final approach to Luxembourg Findel Airport about 6 nautical miles (11 km) short of the runway while trying to land in the fog. Twenty of the 22 passengers and crew perished.
Cause of crash
The investigation found that a series of non-standard actions resulted in severe loss of airspeed due to the propeller blades being accidentally switched into reverse position. The aircraft subsequently impacted 6NM (11 km) short of the runway. Contributing to the accident were errors concerning the implementation of a safety recommendation which had been made by the manufacturer to Fokker 50 operators. Also this warning was not adequately communicated to the flight crews of Luxair.
Nationalities of passengers and crew
- "Info: Hotline". Berliner Morgenpost. 2 June 2008. Retrieved on 1 November 2009.
- "RZ Luxair_rapp_intro_UK" (PDF). Luxair 15/56. 2 May 2003. Archived from the original on 2007-11-07. Retrieved 2 November 2009.
- "Investigation Commission On The Accident Which Occurred 6 November 2002 (Preliminary Report, January 2003)" (PDF). Government of Luxembourg
- "FINAL REPORT (REVISED ISSUE)" (PDF). Ministry of Transport, Administration for technical investigations. July 2009. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- Morrison, Donald. "A Coming-Out Party." TIME. 28 February 2007. Retrieved on 1 November 2009.
- "Press Release 06.11.2002 08.15 pm". Luxair. 6 November 2002. Archived from the original on 2003-02-13. Retrieved 1 November 2009.
- "Namelist of persons that died in aircraft accident 06.11.02". Luxair. 7 November 2002. Archived from the original on 2003-02-13. Retrieved 1 November 2009.
- Administration for Technical Investigations
- "AIRCRAFT ACCIDENT LG9642/LH2420". Luxair.
- Government of Luxembourg
- (French) Accident aérien au Luxembourg (6 novembre 2002)
- (French) Communiqué Déroulement de l'accident d'un avion Luxair." (Archive) - 06-11-2002
- (French) Communiqué du parquet du Luxembourg (2003) (Archive)
- Accident description at the Aviation Safety Network