Big Creek Township, Michigan
|Big Creek Township, Michigan|
|• Total||143.1 sq mi (370.7 km2)|
|• Land||141.5 sq mi (366.4 km2)|
|• Water||1.7 sq mi (4.3 km2)|
|Elevation||1,089 ft (332 m)|
|• Density||19.7/sq mi (7.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP code||48636 (Luzerne),
48654 (Rose City),
|GNIS feature ID||1625932|
- Luzerne is an unincorporated community on M-72 at . The Luzerne ZIP code, 48636, serves most of the western portion of the township as well as small areas in the southern part of Greenwood Township.
- Mio is in the northeast part of the township and the Mio ZIP code, 48647, serves northeastern and east-central portions of the townships.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 143.1 square miles (371 km2), of which 141.5 square miles (366 km2) is land and 1.7 square miles (4.4 km2) (1.17%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,380 people, 1,422 households, and 968 families residing in the township. The population density was 23.9 per square mile (9.2/km²). There were 3,089 housing units at an average density of 21.8 per square mile (8.4/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.49% White, 0.06% African American, 0.50% Native American, 0.12% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.15% from other races, and 1.66% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.07% of the population.
There were 1,422 households out of which 26.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.4% were married couples living together, 9.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.9% were non-families. 26.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.38 and the average family size was 2.84.
In the township the population was spread out with 23.8% under the age of 18, 6.1% from 18 to 24, 25.1% from 25 to 44, 26.3% from 45 to 64, and 18.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 98.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.1 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $28,148, and the median income for a family was $32,895. Males had a median income of $29,153 versus $20,673 for females. The per capita income for the township was $15,154. About 11.9% of families and 17.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 23.9% of those under age 18 and 8.8% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Big Creek Township, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Luzerne, Michigan
- 48636 5-Digit ZCTA, 486 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- 48647 5-Digit ZCTA, 486 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder[permanent dead link], U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census