Luzira Maximum Security Prison
An accommodation block at the prison (2008)
|Location||Luzira, Kampala, Uganda|
|Security class||Maximum Security Prison|
|Managed by||Uganda Prisons Services|
Luzira Maximum Security Prison is a maximum security prison for both men and women in Uganda. As at July 2016, it is the only maximum security prison in the country and houses Uganda's death row inmates.
The prison is in the Luzira neighborhood in Nakawa Division in southeastern Kampala, Uganda's capital and largest city. The prison is approximately 10 kilometres (6 mi) south-east of the city's central business district. The coordinates of the prison are 0°17'59.0"N, 32°38'26.0"E (Latitude:0.299735; Longitude:32.640556).
The prison houses both convicted and sentenced inmates, as well as suspects awaiting trial. It has a men's section and a women's section. It also houses the country death row amounting to about 500 men and women. A welfare project was carried out by installing windows, lighting, plumbing, furniture, mattresses and linen, as part of the African Prisons Project. The prison has a library of over 7,000 books from the UK.
In Luzira, inmates are assigned more responsibility that would be in similar prisons in the United Kingdom or the USA. Inmates assume responsibility for maintenance of harmony and functionality of the units where they live, including the growing and harvesting of food, its preparation and its distribution within the prison. Learning is encouraged, with many men learning and teaching carpentry skills to others. The guard to prisoner ration in Luzira is about 1:35, compared to 1:15 in the UK. Aggression among inmates is the exception and not the rule. The recidivism rate in Luzira is less than 30 percent, compared with 46 percent in the UK and 76 percent in the United States.
- Observer Reporter (24 May 2016). "Uganda: Luzira Prison Restricts Besigye's Visitors". The Observer (Uganda) via AllAfrica.com. Kampala. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- Kakembo, Freddie (5 June 2013). "When Luzira Maximum Security Prison is home". Daily Monitor. Kampala. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- Goldblatt, David (28 May 2015). "The prison where murderers play for Manchester United". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- Kyle Duncan Kushaba (8 March 2016). "Luzira is not just a prison; it's an amazing neighbourhood". New Vision. Kampala. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- Globefeed.com (6 July 2016). "Distance between Post Office Building, Kampala Road, Kampala, Central Region, Uganda and Luzira Prison, Kampala, Central Region, Uganda". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- Google (6 July 2016). "Location of Luzira Maximum Security Prison, Luzira, Kampala, Uganda" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- TAG (15 April 2015). "Waiting for Justice in Uganda's Luzira Maximum Security Prison". The African Gourmet (TAG). Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- Ferguson, Ben (23 October 2015). "Rehabilitation, Spies, and Goals at Uganda's Lone Maximum Security Prison". London: Vice.com. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- Three inmates at Uganda’s maximum security prison and one former inmate presented with Diploma in Common Law