Werewolf in a Girls' Dormitory
|Werewolf in a Girls' Dormitory|
Italian film poster for Werewolf in a Girls' Dormitory
|Directed by||Paolo Heusch|
|Screenplay by||Ernesto Gastaldi|
|Music by||Armando Trovajoli|
|Cinematography||Renato Del Frate|
|Edited by||Giuliana Attenni|
|Distributed by||Cineriz (Italy)|
|Box office||₤115 million|
Werewolves in a Girls' Dormitory was shot in 1961 around Cinecittà Studios and Rome. In the film, director Paolo Heusch is credited under the name Richard Benson. Heusch explained that it was mandatory to give yourself an English name in Italian productions of the time because "that's the way the producers wanted it."
- Barbara Lass as Priscilla
- Carl Schell as Julian Olcott
- Curt Lowens as Director Swift
- Maureen O'Connor as Leonore MacDonald
- Maurice Marsac as Sir Alfred Whiteman
- Luciano Pigozzi as Walter the Caretaker
- Joseph Mercier as Tommy the Porter
- Mary McNeeran as Mary Smith
- Annie Steinert as Sheena Whiteman
- Grace Neame as Sandy
Werewolf in a Girls' Dormitory was released in Italy on November 9, 1961 where it was distributed by Cineriz. The film grossed a total of 115 million Italian lira on its theatrical run. The film was shown in the United States on June 6, 1963 where it was distributed by MGM.
The American version of the film adds the rock song "The Ghoul in School" to the opening credits written by Marilyn Stewart and Frank Owens. The song had vocals by Adam Keefe and was released on a 45 RPM record distributed by Cub Records.
The Globe and Mail stated that the film was "disfigured by bad dubbing and a silly attempt to establish the locale as the United States, it might have been a very respectable specimen of the horror school"
Danny Shipka, author of Perverse Titillation: The Exploitation Cinema of Italy, Spain and France, 1960-1980 stated the film "won't convert any fans to the genre" due a slow pace and poor dubbing in the English-language dub.
- Curti, Roberto (2015). Italian Gothic Horror Films, 1957-1969. McFarland & Company. ISBN 1476619891.
- Shipka, Danny (2011). Perverse Titillation: The Exploitation Cinema of Italy, Spain and France, 1960-1980. United States: McFarland & Company. ISBN 0786448881.
- McCallum, Lawrence (1998). Italian Horror Films of the 1960s: A Critical Catalog of 62 Chillers. United States: McFarland & Company. ISBN 0786404353.
- Werewolf in a Girls' Dormitory at the Internet Movie Database
- Werewolf in a Girls' Dormitory at AllMovie
- Werewolf in a Girls' Dormitory is available for free download at the Internet Archive
|This 1960s horror film-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|