This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|National origin||United States|
|Major applications||Dornier Do 27 |
|Produced||1954–1986 out of production|
|Developed from||Lycoming O-320|
The Lycoming O-480 is a family of six-cylinder, horizontally opposed fixed-wing aircraft engines of 479.6 cubic inch (7.86 l) displacement, made by Lycoming Engines. The engine is a six-cylinder version of the four-cylinder Lycoming O-320.
Design and development
All engines have an additional prefix preceding the 480 to indicate the specific configuration of the engine. Although the series is known as the "O-480", there are only geared engines in the series. There are also numerous engine suffixes, denoting different accessories such as different manufacturers' carburetors, or different magnetos.
- Normally aspirated Opposed engine, equipped with a carburetor and Gearbox at the front end of the crankshaft to drive the propeller at a lower RPM than the engine.
- Supercharger driven by the engine, gearbox to drive propeller, and equipped with a carburetor. Designated the O-480-1 by the US military.
- Supercharger driven by the engine, gearbox to drive propeller, with fuel Injection. Designated the O-480-3 by the US military.
- Gearbox to drive propeller, normally aspirated with fuel injection.
- Aero Commander 560, 560A, 560E and 680, 680E and the pressurized 720 Alti-Cruiser.
- Aermacchi AM3CM (Bosbok)
- Beechcraft Twin Bonanza
- Beechcraft Queen Air
- Dornier Do 27
- Helio Courier
- Soko J-20 Kraguj
- Temco 58
- Utva 66
Data from FAA Type Certificate.
- Type: Six-cylinder air-cooled geared supercharged horizontally opposed engine
- Bore: 5.125 in (130 mm)
- Stroke: 3.875 in (98 mm)
- Displacement: 479.6 in³ (7.86 l)
- Dry weight: 498 lb dry
- Valvetrain: Two overhead valves per cylinder
- Supercharger: 11.27:1 ratio, providing 48" Hg (1.6 atm / 8.8 psi) manifold pressure at sea level at maximum power
- Fuel type: 100 octane rating gasoline
- Cooling system: Air-cooled
- Reduction gear: 77:120 (.642:1)
- Power output: 340 hp at 3,400 rpm at sea level
- Compression ratio: 7.3:1
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lycoming O-480.|
- Page listing all variants of the Lycoming O-480 series. Retrieved on 10 January 2009.
- FAA GO-480 Series Type Certificate. Retrieved on 10 January 2009.
- FAA Lycoming GSO-480 Series Type Certificate. Retrieved on 10 January 2009.