|Birth name||Lydia Jane Pense|
|Born||December 14, 1947|
|Origin||San Francisco, California|
|Genres||Rock, Urban contemporary, Blue-eyed soul, East Bay Grease|
|Labels||Reprise (1972); Warner Bros. Records (1974); ABC (1976); Dig Music (2005)|
|Associated acts||Lydia Pense and Cold Blood|
Lydia Pense (born Lydia Jane Pense in San Francisco, California on December 14, 1947)  is an American rock-soul-jazz singer who, since 1969, has performed with the band Cold Blood. Critics have compared her style to powerful singers including Janis Joplin, Aretha Franklin, and Teena Marie.
Lydia Pense was born in San Francisco on December 14, 1947 and lived there until age 10 until the family moved to Redwood City, California. At age 14, while attending Sequoia High School, Pense started singing with a band called The Dimensions, with Guitarist Fred Tatman, Larry Hatch and Kerry Yates. She was a fan of Brenda Lee and was singing her songs, but the band encouraged her to sing R&B in the style of James Brown, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, and Ray Charles.
Janis Joplin had recommended Lydia Pense the audition for the band Cold Blood to music promoter Bill Graham. Lydia joined Cold Blood in 1968 and the band was one of the earliest music groups to be signed by Bill Graham's Fillmore Records.
The band Cold Blood separated in the late 1970s. Pense suspended her music career in the early 1980s to raise her daughter Danielle, before re-forming the group in 1988. The band continues to record, tour and perform.
Their initial four albums, Cold Blood, Sisyphus, First Taste of Sin (produced by Donny Hathaway), and Thriller remain their best known work.
- Cold Blood (1969)
- Sisyphus (1971)
- First Taste of Sin (1972)
- Lights Out San Francisco (Voco Presents The Soul Of The Bay Area) (1972)
- Thriller (1973)
- Lydia (1974)
- The Best of Cold Blood (1975)
- Lydia Pense & Cold Blood (1976), this was the last album before the band's hiatus.
- Vintage Blood: Live! 1973 (live album), 2001
- Transfusion (2005)
- Lydia Pense & Cold Blood: Live Blood "Live Album" (2008)
- Lydia Pense & Cold Blood, "The River City Sessions" (2011)
- Lydia Pense & Cold Blood, "Soul Of The Gypsy" (2015)
- "California Birth Index, 1905-1995 [database on-line]". United States: The Generations Network. 2005. Retrieved 2009-11-23.
- Vitt, Janet (2017-04-30). "Lydia Pense lends her powerful voice to fundraiser at Harlow's". Sacramento Bee. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- "Lydia Pense: hot sounds with Cold Blood". The Mercury News. 2015-10-07. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- "Lydia Pense and Cold Blood". SFMuseum.org. The Millard Agency. 1969. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
- "Lydia Pense & Cold Blood - Back Here Again". Paste Magazine. 1998-06-12. Retrieved 2017-06-29.
|This article about a United States rhythm and blues singer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|