Lyell is a surname of Scotland traced to Radulphus de Insula, 11th-century Lord of Duchal. "De insula" was subsequently translated into the Old French "de l'isle" and developed into a number of variants ([de] Lyell; [de] Lisle; [de] Lyle; see below). John Lyell in 1706 emigrated to Virginia and is the progenitor of the American Lyells.
Lyell may refer to:
- Charles Lyell (botanist) (1767–1849), Scottish botanist
- Charles Lyell (1797–1875), British geologist; son of the botanist; 1st Baronet Lyell of Kinnordy
- Mary Horner Lyell (1808–1873), conchologist; wife of the geologist
- Katharine Murray Lyell (1817–1915), British botanist and author; sister-in-law of the geologist
- Leonard Lyell, 1st Baron Lyell (1850–1926), Scottish Liberal politician; son of Katharine Murray Lyell
- Charles Henry Lyell (1875–1918), Liberal MP; son of Leonard Lyell
- Charles Anthony Lyell, 2nd Baron Lyell (1913–1943), Victoria Cross recipient; son of Charles Henry Lyell
- Nicholas Lyell, Baron Lyell of Markyate (1938–2010), British Conservative politician at the centre of the Matrix Churchill affair
- Charles Lyell, 3rd Baron Lyell (1939–2017), Conservative member of the House of Lords; son of Charles Anthony Lyell
- Lyell Island, in Canada
- Mount Lyell (disambiguation)
- Lyell, New Zealand, a historic gold mining settlement
- Lyells, Virginia, a crossroads in Richmond County, Virginia
- A panorama of Victoria Crater, Mars, taken by the Opportunity Rover
- Lyell (lunar crater)
- Lyell (Martian crater)
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Lyell.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.