Lyle Denniston at the Supreme Court Preview at William & Mary Law School in Williamsburg, Va., October 2009
March 16, 1931 |
Nebraska City, Nebraska
|Known for||Coverage of the United States Supreme Court|
Lyle Denniston (born March 16, 1931) is an American legal journalist, professor, and author, who has reported on the Supreme Court of the United States since 1958. He wrote for SCOTUSblog, an online blog featuring news and analysis of the Supreme Court, until June 2016, after previously having written for the Wall Street Journal, Boston Globe, The Baltimore Sun, The American Lawyer, and the Washington Star. His commentary is also featured on the National Public Radio show Here and Now. In addition, he has contributed to numerous books and journals, and is the author of "The Reporter and the Law: Techniques for Covering the Courts." Denniston has taught classes on law, journalism, and American constitutional history at American University, Georgetown University, Penn State University, and Johns Hopkins University.
Because of his long-standing coverage of the Court, he has been referred to as the "Dean Emeritus of the Supreme Court Press Corps," and he enjoys the singular distinction of being the only person to earn a plaque in the Supreme Court press room. He is a native of Nebraska City, Nebraska, a graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and Georgetown University, where he earned a master's degree in political science and history.
- American Judicature Society's Toni House Journalism Award 
- Member of the Hall of Fame of the Society of Professional Journalists 
- Outstanding News-Editorial Alumnus Award, University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
- lyden (15 March 2016). "Thanks to all for birthday wishes. Tomorrow, 85 and counting!" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- S. L. Alexander (2004). Media and American Courts: A Reference Handbook. ABC-CLIO. pp. 88–89. ISBN 978-1-57607-979-9.
- McCarthy, Tom (2014-05-22). "Scotusblog loss of Senate press credentials fuels media uproar". The Guardian. Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- Denniston, Lyle (2016-06-25). "One journey over, the quest continues". SCOTUSblog. Retrieved 2016-06-25.