|Member of the Minnesota Senate
from the 17th district
April 18, 2012
|Preceded by||Gary Kubly|
|Member of the Minnesota House of Representatives
from the 20B district
January 7, 2003 – April 17, 2012
|Preceded by||redrawn district|
|Succeeded by||district redrawn|
June 16, 1956 |
|Political party||Minnesota Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party|
|Residence||Clara City, Minnesota|
|Alma mater||Willmar Technical College|
Lyle J. Koenen (born June 16, 1956) is a Minnesota politician and member of the Minnesota Senate. A member of the Minnesota Democratic–Farmer–Labor Party (DFL), he represents District 17, which includes portions of Chippewa, Kandiyohi, Renville, and Swift counties in the southwestern part of the state.
Early life, education, and career
Koenen attended Maynard High School in Maynard, then went on to Willmar Technical College in Willmar, earning his A.A. in agriculture. He has worked as a dairy farmer and was also a milk truck and school bus driver. He has been co-chair of the Chippewa County National Farmers Union since 1996.
Minnesota House of Representatives
Koenen was first elected in 2002, and was re-elected four times. He served as chair of the House Agriculture, Rural Economies and Veterans Affairs subcommittee for the Veterans Affairs Division. On May 21, 2011, he joined the Republicans in voting for a constitutional amendment to define marriage as between a man and woman.
Koenen was elected to the Senate in a special election in 2012 to fill the seat left vacant after the death of Gary Kubly. He was sworn in on April 18, 2012. Koenen ran for re-election to the newly drawn District 17 in 2012, defeating incumbent Willmar Republican Joseph Gimse.
- "Minnesota Legislators Past & Present - Legislator Record - Koenen, Lyle J". Leg.state.mn.us. Retrieved 2010-07-20.
- "Project Vote Smart - Representative Lyle J. Koenen - Biography". Votesmart.org. 1956-06-16. Retrieved 2010-07-20.
- "Lyle Koenen (DFL) 20B - Minnesota House of Representatives". House.leg.state.mn.us. Retrieved 2010-07-20.
- "Roll call vote: Same-sex marriage ban amendment". Minnesota Public Radio. Retrieved 2011-05-23.
- Minnesota Senate DFL Caucus Twitter Feed
- Peterson, Per (November 8, 2012). "DFL power grab won’t change approach". Marshall Independent.
- Lyle Koenen at Minnesota Legislators Past & Present
- Senator Lyle Koenen official Minnesota Senate website
- Minnesota Public Radio Votetracker: Rep. Lyle Koenen
- Project Votesmart - Rep. Lyle Koenen Profile