Whitaker's early work consisted of largely representational sculpture, varying from traditional bronzes to small mobiles to public fountains.
Lyman has been a practicing sculptor for over 50 years, with a unique knowledge of materials and their application. The past 30 years have primarily been focused on creating Wind Sculpturestm, each of which is produced by hand.
As a master in the kinetic sculpture discipline, Lyman is known round the world. His work is represented at fine art galleries and in private collections throughout the United States and abroad. His sculpture is seen in museums, at the seaside, in urban areas, in public venues and back yards - a reflection of their wide appeal.
The Wind Sculpturestm are kinetic art that responds to the changing currents of the wind. Lyman has created sculptures that are innovative, artistic and responsive to their surroundings. Each is hand-produced and has a high degree of mechanical integrity and quality craftsmanship.
His compositions can vary from single, 5 foot (1.5 m) tall pieces to "Wind ForestsTM" consisting of groups of sculptures standing up to 27 foot (8.2 m) tall.
Whitaker's work appears in fine art galleries around the country. In addition, public and private installations exist throughout the United States, Canada, Europe and Australia, including:
- The Bennington Center for the Arts
- Coda Gallery
- Envision Gallery
- Epilogue Gallery
- Freed Gallery
- Grovewood Gallery
- Hogan Trading Co.
- Juniper Sky Fine Art Gallery
- LaFave Gallery
- Leopold Art Gallery, Kansas City, MO
- * Missouri Botanical Garden
- Maine Art Gallery
- Marcus Ashley Gallery
- Renee Taylor Gallery
- Steffich Fine Art and sister site Windsculptures.ca
- Svend Ole Nielson
- The Torrey Gallery
- Trove Gallery
- Vail Village Arts
- VUE - Renee Taylor Gallery
- Wiford Gallery
- Wind Sculptures Nederland B.V.
- Worthington Gallery
- Wyland Galleries Haleiwa
- Official website
- Selected exhibitions
- "Residents enjoying new sculptures at Vlasis Park" St. Louis Today[permanent dead link]
- Worthington Gallery - Springdale Utah Since the beginning of Lyman’s kinetic art, Worthington Gallery has been the source for Lyman’s magical and enduring wind sculptures. We were Lyman’s first gallery to represent his wind sculptures, and now from his Southern Utah studio he creates a line of copper wind sculptures for which he is internationally known.
- Lyman Whitaker sculptures in Santa Fe, New Mexico
- Lyman Whitaker Wind Sculptures in New England
- Lyman Whitaker Wind Sculptures in the Midwest