|This article is part of a series on|
Lymphotherapy (lymphatic physiotherapy) is a method by which pressure applied on specific lymph nodes alters lymphatic response. Proponents state it can be used for lymphedema and breast cancer.
Lymphotherapy was first suggested in 1918 by Dr. S. Artault de Vevey in the Paris Therapeutic Society as a treatment for infectious diseases, though it had many fans as well as opponents.[unreliable medical source?] This treatment was popular in Italy in the 1960s and 1970s. Currently, lymphotherapy practice has been documented in complementary and alternative medicine.
Complete decongestive lymphatic physiotherapy demands substantial time and effort from patients to maintain the benefits; treatments are not always well-accepted, and patients may suffer from a deterioration in quality of life or develop enhanced anxiety. Sudden loss of bowel control was reported, especially with lymphatic physiotherapy applied on the lymph nodes in the lower back.
- ^ Avrahami R, Gabbay E, Bsharah B, et al. (December 2004). "Severe lymphedema of the arm as a potential cause of shoulder trauma". Lymphology. 37 (4): 202–5. PMID 15693538.
- ^ Tidhar D, Katz-Leurer M (March 2010). "Aqua lymphatic therapy in women who suffer from breast cancer treatment-related lymphedema: a randomized controlled study". Supportive Care in Cancer. 18 (3): 383–92. doi:10.1007/s00520-009-0669-4. PMID 19495810. S2CID 13646360.
- ^ "The Paris Therapeutic Society" (PDF). The British Medical Journal: 308. March 13, 1919.
- ^ a b Moore E, Gerner RE, Minowada J, Mizrahi J, Woods LK (September 1970). "[Clinical experiences with lymphotherapy]". Giornale di Clinica Medica (in Italian). 51 (9): 683–94. PMID 5517785.
- ^ "Boutique brings Brazilian flair to Birmingham". Detroit News. September 7, 2005.(subscription required)
- ^ "Benefits of Lymphatic Massage". AltMedicineZone.com. August 18, 2010.
- "Legal Aspects". Research Council for Complementary Medicine. Archived from the original on 21 April 2010.
- Lymphotherapy on Adeli Eesti OÜ