Lyndhurst High School
|Lyndhurst High School|
|400 Weart Avenue
Lyndhurst, NJ 07071
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Lyndhurst School District|
|Asst. principal||Frank J. Venezia|
|Enrollment||723 (as of 2014-15)|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.5:1|
|Athletics conference||North Jersey Interscholastic Conference|
|Team name||Golden Bears|
Lyndhurst High School is a four-year comprehensive public high school that serves students in ninth through twelfth grade from Lyndhurst, in Bergen County, New Jersey, United States, operating as the lone secondary school of the Lyndhurst School District.
As of the 2014-15 school year, the school had an enrollment of 723 students and 63.0 classroom teachers (on an FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 11.5:1. There were 124 students (17.2% of enrollment) eligible for free lunch and 39 (5.4% of students) eligible for reduced-cost lunch.
Awards, recognition and rankings
The school was the 165th-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 339 schools statewide in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2014 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", using a new ranking methodology. The school had been ranked 162nd in the state of 328 schools in 2012, after being ranked 178th in 2010 out of 322 schools listed. The magazine ranked the school 182nd in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 179th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state. Schooldigger.com ranked the school 188th out of 381 public high schools statewide in its 2011 rankings (an increase of 38 positions from the 2010 ranking) which were based on the combined percentage of students classified as proficient or above proficient on the two components of the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA), mathematics (80.3%) and language arts literacy (91.7%).
The Lyndhurst High School Golden Bears compete in the North Jersey Interscholastic Conference (NJIC) Meadowlands Division, which includes private and public high schools located in Bergen County and Hudson County, following a reorganization of sports leagues in Northern New Jersey by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). With 544 students in grades 10-12, the school was classified by the NJSIAA for the 2015-16 school year as North II, Group II for most athletic competition purposes, which included schools with an enrollment of 508 to 770 students in that grade range. Prior to the NJSIAA's realignment that took place in the fall of 2010, Lyndhurst was part of the Bergen County Scholastic League (BCSL).
The school operates as the lead agency / host school for joint wrestling and boys' and girl's swimming programs with North Arlington High School, under an agreement that expires at the end of the 2016-17 school year. Together with Hackensack High School, the school participates in a joint ice hockey program program with Paramus High School as the host school / lead agency, under an agreement that expires at the end of the 2016-17 school year.
The football team won the NJSIAA North I Group II state sectional championship in 1983.
The boys baseball team won the North I Group III state sectional championship in 1964 and 1966, and won the North I Group II state sectional title in 1970. During the spring 2008 baseball season, the baseball team won its first ever Group I state championship with a 7-3 win against Robbinsville High School, its first group championship in 40 years, since they won the Group III state championship. On their way to the state championship they won the North 2 Group 1 state sectional championship over Weehawken High School, and the BCSL National Division Title.
Led by Patrick Rono (son of Olympian gold-medalist Peter Rono) who won the 2010 individual title, the Golden Bears men's cross country team won their first North Jersey Group I sectional title, and would repeat as champions in 2013 and 2014. 2010 marked the first time the Bears qualified for the Bergen County Meet of Champions as a team. Rono ran at Foot Locker Northeast Regional in Sunken Meadow State Park (Kings Park, NY), finishing 7th, earning a spot to Foot Locker Nationals, held in Balboa Park in San Diego, the first male runner from North Jersey to earn an invitation in two decades. Rono finished 24th in a race with 40 of the nation's elite runners.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Tom Longo (1942-2015), defensive back for the New York Giants.
- Jimmy Smagula (born 1976), actor who has appeared in The Sopranos, Bones, Grey's Anatomy, Parks and Recreation, and Rizzoli & Isles as well as films, including The Island and The Producers.
- Jim Tooey (born 1954), actor.
- School data for Lyndhurst High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- Lyndhurst High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 15, 2015.
- Staff. "Top Schools Alphabetical List 2014", New Jersey Monthly, September 2, 2014. Accessed September 5, 2014.
- Staff. "The Top New Jersey High Schools: Alphabetical", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2012. Accessed December 2, 2012.
- Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed April 5, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- School Overview; Click on "Rankings" for 2003-11 HSPA results, Schooldigger.com. Accessed March 9, 2012.
- League Memberships – 2016-2017, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 28, 2017.
- General Public School Classifications 2015-2016, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, as of December 15, 2015. Accessed December 12, 2016.
- League Memberships – 2009-2010 Archived 2011-07-24 at the Wayback Machine., New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed August 7, 2012.
- 2017 - 2019 Co-Operative Sports Programs, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 28, 2017.
- Goldberg, Jeff. NJSIAA Football Playoff Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed November 19, 2015.
- History of the NJSIAA Baseball Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 15, 2015.
- Behre, Bob. "Lyndhurst 7, Robbinsville 3", The Star-Ledger, June 7, 2008. Accessed October 7, 2008.
- "2008 Baseball Tournament - Public Semis/Finals", New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed October 7, 2008.
- 2008 Baseball Tournament - North II, Group I, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed October 7, 2008.
- XC-all section records.pdf NORTH JERSEY 1 SECTIONAL CROSS-COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed September 15, 2015.
- Schwartz, Paul. "Lyndhurst's Rono advances to Nationals", The Record (Bergen County), November 28, 2010. Accessed September 15, 2015. "Patrick Rono of Lyndhurst became the first North Jersey boy in nearly 20 years to qualify for the Foot Locker National championships by placing seventh in the Foot Locker Northeast Regional championships at Sunken Meadow State Park in Kings Park, N.Y., on Saturday. Rono advances to the National championships at Balboa Park in San Diego on Dec. 11 along with fellow New Jerseyans Morgan Pearson of Delbarton and Matt McDonald of North Hunterdon, who were second and tenth, respectively."
- "NJ Cross-Country: Venables finishes fifth at Foot Locker Nationals", The Star-Ledger, December 11, 2010. Accessed September 15, 2015. "On the boys' side, Matt McDonald of North Hunterdon in Annandale finished 23rd among 40 runners in 15:40, Patrick Rono of Lyndhurst took 24th in 15:42 and Morgan Pearson of Delbarton in Morris Township was 27th in 15:48."
- Administration, Lyndhurst High School. Accessed December 15, 2015.
- School Profile 2014-2015, Lyndhurst High School. Accessed August 2, 2015.
- Corce, Zachary. "Several appointments made at Lyndhurst Board of Education meeting including new board member", South Bergenite, September 3, 2015. Accessed September 12, 2015. "Instead, the board named Laura Vuono as Interim High School Principal. Vuono spent last year as an assistant principal to DeMarco."
- Winters, Jaimie Julia. "Marshall plane crash will be subject of lecture at Meadowlands Museum", South Bergenite, February 13, 2014. Accessed November 14, 2014. "Tom Longo (New York Giants, Lyndhurst High School alumnus) will speak on his memories of Shoebridge and Lajterman."
- "Jimmy Smagula will host and perform in a benefit concert for Lyndhurst High School featuring numerous Broadway performers May 19 at 7 PM.", Playbill. Accessed May 16, 2016. "Smagula, who is an alumnus of Lyndhurst High School, said in a statement, 'The auditorium is in great need of renovation and I am proud to be able to give back to my hometown that has given me so much. Arts education is often overlooked and I am thrilled to be able to give back.'"
- Stimac, Elias. "Two-Mur Humor Helps the Healing process", New York Cool, August 2007. Accessed May 20, 2013. "My family moved to Lyndhurst, NJ at age 12, where I attended Sacred Heart and Lyndhurst High School."
- Lyndhurst High School
- Lyndhurst School District
- Lyndhurst School District's 2015–16 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- School Data for the Lyndhurst School District, National Center for Education Statistics