Lyndon B. Johnson National Grassland
|Lyndon B. Johnson National Grassland|
LBJ National Grassland
|Location||Wise and Montague counties, Texas, United States|
|Area||20,309 acres (82.19 km2)|
|Governing body||U.S. Forest Service|
|Website||Caddo–LBJ National Grasslands|
Lyndon B. Johnson (LBJ) National Grassland is a National Grassland located in the Great Plains of the northern part of the U.S. state of Texas near Decatur and within an hour's drive from Fort Worth. It is primarily used for recreation such as hiking, camping, horseback riding, fishing and hunting. It is also used as grazing land for cattle and other livestock.
Camping and other activities are free of charge, and visitors may camp in virtually any area of the park. Both pull-through and hike-in campsites are available. Some areas require a small fee for use, but these are few and clearly marked.
Named after former U.S. president Lyndon B. Johnson, the park is located primarily in the northern part of Wise County, but a small portion extends northward into southern Montague County. It has a land area of 20,309 acres (8,219 ha). The grassland is administered together with all four United States National Forests and two National Grasslands located entirely in Texas, from common offices in Lufkin, Texas. The units include Angelina, Davy Crockett, Sabine, and Sam Houston National Forests, plus Caddo National Grassland and Lyndon B. Johnson. There are local ranger district offices located in Decatur.
- "Lyndon B. Johnson National Grasslands". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- "Land Areas of the National Forest System". U.S. Forest Service. January 2013. Archived from the original on December 1, 2012. Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- "National Forests and Grasslands in Texas". U.S. Forest Service. Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- Media related to Lyndon B. Johnson National Grassland at Wikimedia Commons
- Caddo–LBJ National Grasslands– U.S. Forest Service
|This article related to a protected area in Texas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|