|Date of birth:||August 5, 1985|
|Place of birth:||Stockton, California|
|Height:||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight:||235 lb (107 kg)|
|College:||San Diego State|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Lynell Hamilton (born August 5, 1985) is a former American football running back who has most recently worked as a graduate assistant at San Diego State University. He was signed by the New Orleans Saints as an undrafted free agent in 2008. He played college football at San Diego State.
In 2003, Hamilton had an outstanding freshman year at San Diego State, rushing for 1,087 yards in 10 games. He was named Mountain West Conference Freshman of the Year. He suffered a severe ankle and leg injury in the tenth game of the season, and sat out the following year. As a redshirt sophomore in 2005, he led the Aztecs in rushing with 819 yards and 9 touchdowns. The rest of his career was hampered by knee injuries, and he had only 56 carries for 146 yards during his last two years. For his college career, Hamilton had 480 carries for 2,052 yards and 14 rushing touchdowns, and 57 passes caught for 360 yards and 3 touchdowns.
New Orleans Saints
Hamilton was on the Saints practice squad for most of 2008, and played in only one game. In 2009 he served as the fourth running back for the Saints behind Pierre Thomas, Reggie Bush, and Mike Bell. He finished the regular season with a total of 125 rushing yards and 2 touchdowns; he also scored a touchdown in the Saints' first playoff game on their way to winning Super Bowl XLIV. He was expected to fill a more important role in 2010, but on August 11, 2010, during a preseason joint practice session with the New England Patriots, he suffered a knee injury (later confirmed to be an ACL tear) that was expected to end Hamilton's season. He was "waived/injured" by the Saints on August 14, and after clearing waivers he was placed on the injured reserve list on August 16. He was waived on August 4, 2011 during training camp.
- New Orleans Saints bio for Lynell Hamilton (accessed August 11, 2010).
- Jason Anderson, "Through setbacks, Lynell Hamilton persevered to reach Super Bowl", The Record, February 7, 2010.
- Lynell Hamilton at NFL.com.
- Bradley Handwerger, "Saints' Hamilton tears ACL, will miss upcoming season", WWL-TV, August 11, 2010.
- Mike Triplett, "New Orleans Saints tailback Lynell Hamilton suffers torn ACL", Times-Picayune, August 11, 2010.
- Mike Triplett, "New Orleans Saints waive injured tailback Lynell Hamilton, re-sign linebacker Harry Coleman", Times Picayune, August 14, 2010.
- Pat Yasinskas, "Lynell Hamilton not fully gone from Saints", ESPN.com, August 19, 2010.
- Tod Leonard,"Aztecs grad assistants do football's grunt work: Alums Hamilton, Deakin contribute with their love of football", U-T San Diego, August 12, 2012.