This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dame Lynley Dodd
Lynley Stuart Dodd
5 July 1941
Rotorua, New Zealand
Dame Lynley Stuart Dodd DNZM (born 5 July 1941) is a prominent author of children’s books from New Zealand. She is best known for her "Hairy Maclary" series, and its follow-ups, all of which feature animals with rhyming names.
She was born in Rotorua. She graduated from the Elam School of Art in Auckland with a diploma in Fine Arts. She began to work as a freelance illustrator and collaborated with author Her first book was My Cat Likes To Hide In Boxes which she wrote along with Eve Sutton. Her first book written solo was The Nickle Nackle Tree. She is now[update] living in Tauranga. 
Awards and honours
In 1999, Dodd became the ninth recipient of the Margaret Mahy Award. She was created a Distinguished Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit in 2001 for "services to children's literature and book illustration". She was subsequently redesignated a Dame Companion upon reinstatement of titles in the Special Honours 2009.
- 1973 - My Cat Likes To Hide In Boxes
- 1976 - The Nickle Nackle Tree
- 1978 - Titimus Trim
- 1982 - The Apple Tree
- 1982 - The Smallest Turtle
- 1983 - Hairy Maclary From Donaldson’s Dairy
- 1984 - Hairy Maclary's Bone
- 1985 - Hairy Maclary Scattercat
- 1986 - Wake Up, Bear'
- 1987 - Hairy Maclary's Caterwaul Caper
- 1988 - A Dragon In A Wagon
- 1989 - Hairy Maclary's Rumpus At The Vet
- 1990 - Slinky Malinki
- 1991 - Find Me A Tiger
- 1991 - Hairy Maclary's Showbusiness
- 1992 - The Minister's Cat ABC
- 1993 - Slinky Malinki Open The Door
- 1994 - Schnitzel von Krumm's Basketwork
- 1995 - Sniff-Snuff-Snap
- 1996 - Schnitzel von Krumm Forget-Me-Not and Hairy Maclary Six Stories
- 1997 - Hairy Maclary SIT
- 1998 - Slinky Malinki Catflaps
- 1999 - Hairy Maclary and Zachary Quack
- 2000 - Hedgehog Howdedo
- 2001 - Scarface Claw and The Apple Tree and Other Stories
- 2002 - Schnitzel von Krumm, Dogs Never Climb Trees
- 2004 - The Other Ark
- 2005 - Zachary Quack Minimonster
- 2006 - Slinky Malinki's Christmas Crackers
- 2007 - Hairy Maclary's Hat Tricks
- 2008 - The Dudgeon is Coming
- 2009 - Hairy Maclary - Shoo
- 2012 - Slinky Malinki - Early Bird
- 2017 - Scarface Claw - Hold Tight!
- "Interviews with NZ Children's Authors: Lynley Dodd". Christchurch City Libraries. Retrieved 30 April 2014.
- "Dodd, Lynley", New Zealand Book Council
- "Lynley Dodd at Penguin authors". Penguin Books.
- "Margaret Mahy Medal Award". Christchurch, New Zealand: Christchurch City Libraries. 2012. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "Margaret Mahy Award". Storylines.org.nz. Auckland, New Zealand: Storylines Children's Literature Charitable Trust of New Zealand. 2012. Archived from the original on 6 July 2012. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "Full list of New Year Honours". New Zealand Herald. 31 December 2001. Retrieved 15 October 2011.
|This article about a New Zealand writer or poet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|