Collins at the X-Men Origins: Wolverine premiere, April 2009
|Born||Viola Lynn Collins
May 16, 1977
Houston, Texas, U.S.
|Education||Juilliard School (B.F.A. 1999)|
|Spouse(s)||Steven Strait (2007-2014)
Matthew Boyle (2015) (1 child)
Viola Lynn Collins (born May 16, 1977) is an American actress. She made television appearances in True Blood and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, and is recognized for her roles in films such as X-Men Origins: Wolverine and John Carter.
Youth and education
Collins was born in Houston, Texas, and has stated that she is of English, Scottish, Irish, and Cherokee ancestry. She spent her formative years in Singapore, with "summers in Japan where her parents were getting their fourth and fifth and sixth dan in Shitō-ryū ... Okinawa-style karate". During a childhood Christmas pageant in which she played Mrs. Claus, Collins discovered her love for acting.
Collins made her television debut in 1999, in an episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, and went on to star onstage as Ophelia opposite Liev Schreiber in Hamlet, followed by a turn as Juliet in Romeo and Juliet. After bit parts that included a stint on the show Haunted and roles in the movies Down with Love, 50 First Dates and 13 Going on 30, she gained notice playing Portia in the film The Merchant of Venice, starring opposite Al Pacino, Joseph Fiennes and Jeremy Irons.
She furthered her profile in 2008 when she was cast as Jason Stackhouse's girlfriend Dawn Green in the first season of the HBO vampire series True Blood, and through a featured role as the hero's love interest in the 2009 X-Men Origins: Wolverine opposite Hugh Jackman. Her first leading film role came in 2012 when she was cast as the headstrong Martian princess Dejah Thoris in John Carter.
Collins married actor Steven Strait on December 23, 2007 in 2008 after a four-year relationship. Describing herself in 2012 as "a functioning alcoholic" while shooting X-Men Origins: Wolverine in Australia in 2008, Collins credits Strait with helping her recover when "I took it all to hell ... Whatever I was doing, he was the rock, and now there’s two rocks. It's a more equal relationship, but it wasn’t always like that."
|2002||Never Get Outta the Boat||Stacy|
|2003||Down with Love||Beatnik Girl|
|2004||13 Going on 30||Wendy|
|2004||50 First Dates||Linda|
|2004||The Merchant of Venice||Portia|
|2006||Return to Rajapur||Sara Reardon|
|2006||The Lake House||Mona|
|2006||The Dog Problem||Lola|
|2007||The Number 23||Suicide Blonde\Mrs. Dobkins\Young Fingerling's Mother|
|2008||Life in Flight||Kate|
|2009||Blood Creek||Barb|
|2009||X-Men Origins: Wolverine||Kayla Silverfox|
|2010||City Island||Vince's Bombshell Girlfriend|
|2012||John Carter||Dejah Thoris|
|1999||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Virginia Hayes||1 episode|
|2001||The Education of Max Bickford||1 episode|
|2002||Push, Nevada||BRB's Wife||1 episode|
|2002||Haunted||Assistant D.A. Jessica Manning||5 episodes|
|2008||True Blood||Dawn Green||5 episodes|
|2013||Elementary||Tanya Barrett||1 episode|
|2014||Covert Affairs||Olga Akarova||3 episodes|
- "Top 99 Women, 2012 Edition: Lynn Collins". AskMen.com. 2012, n.d. Archived from the original on 11 March 2012. Retrieved 11 March 2012. Check date values in:
- "Collins, Viola Lynn", Texas Birth Index, 1926-1995. One source, AskMen.com, cited above, gives June 1, 1979. Collins, in the Daily Record interview below, refers to May as her birth month.
- "Lynn Collins". All Movie Guide via The New York Times. Retrieved April 5, 2012.
- Ryan, Mike (March 9, 2012). "Lynn Collins, 'John Carter' Star, Cried While Reading the Script (In a Good Way)". The Huffington Post. AOL. Archived from the original on March 11, 2012. Retrieved March 11, 2012.
- Millar, John (March 4, 2012). "Classic Actress Turns Alien Princess for Out-of-this-World Movie Epic John Carter". Daily Record (Glasgow, Scotland). Archived from the original on April 22, 2012.
- Busch, Jenna (March 9, 2012). "'John Carter': Lynn Collins on Female Warriors, Actor Slapping". Zap2it.com. Archived from the original on March 11, 2012. Retrieved March 11, 2012.
- "Alumni News". The Juilliard School. May 2008. Archived from the original on 2011-11-11.
- Gelt, Jessica (September 9, 2000). "Supper Club, where dining is a class act". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on February 4, 1992.
Other sun-soaked Hollywood guests included actress Lynn Collins ('True Blood' and 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine') and her husband, actor Steven Strait....
- Barna, Ben (March 8, 2012). "Lynn Collins is Ready to Blast-Off in the Epic 'John Carter'". BlackBook. Archived from the original on March 11, 2012. Retrieved March 11, 2012.
When you're a functioning alcoholic, you can hide it. And I was young enough that it didn't show in my face. But it got to a point where somebody was like, it's not cute anymore, and I was like, Oh God.
- Fanning, Evan. "Down to Earth with the Most Beautiful Woman in the Universe". The Independent (UK). Archived from the original on April 22, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lynn Collins.|
- Lynn Collins at the Internet Movie Database
- Marr, Madeleine (March 7, 2012). "Lynn Collins is 'John Carter's' Warrior Princess". McClatchy Newspapers via The Miami Herald. Archived from the original on March 11, 2012. Retrieved March 11, 2012.