Collins at the X-Men Origins: Wolverine premiere, April 2009
|Born||Viola Lynn Collins
May 16, 1977
Houston, Texas, U.S.
|Education||Juilliard School (B.F.A. 1999)|
|Spouse(s)||Steven Strait (2007-2013)
Matthew Boyle (2015) (1 child)
Viola Lynn Collins (born May/June 1977) is an American actress. She has made television appearances in True Blood and Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, and is recognized for her roles in films such as X-Men Origins: Wolverine and John Carter.
Youth and education
Born Viola Lynn Collins, reported variously in May or June 1977,[dead link] Collins is from Houston, Texas, and has English, Scottish, and Irish ancestry. She has also claimed Cherokee ancestry, referring to herself as "Irish and Cherokee". She spent her formative years in Singapore, with "summers in Japan where her parents were getting their fourth and fifth and sixth dan in Shitō-ryū ... Okinawa-style karate". During a childhood Christmas pageant in which she played Mrs. Claus, Collins discovered her love for acting.
Collins made her television debut in 1999, in an episode of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, and went on to star onstage as Ophelia opposite Liev Schreiber in Hamlet, followed by a turn as Juliet in Romeo and Juliet.[better source needed] After bit parts that included a stint on the show Haunted and roles in the movies Down with Love, 50 First Dates and 13 Going on 30,[better source needed] she gained notice playing Portia in the film The Merchant of Venice, starring opposite Al Pacino, Joseph Fiennes and Jeremy Irons.[better source needed]
She furthered her profile in 2008 when she was cast as Jason Stackhouse's girlfriend Dawn Green in the first season of the HBO vampire series True Blood, and through a featured role as the hero's love interest in the 2009 X-Men Origins: Wolverine opposite Hugh Jackman. Her first leading film role came in 2012 when she was cast as the headstrong Martian princess Dejah Thoris in John Carter.
Lynn married musician Matthew Boyle, in November 2014. They have one child, Asher Hendrix Boyle.
|2002||Never Get Outta the Boat||Stacy|||
|2003||Down with Love||Beatnik Girl|
|2004||13 Going on 30||Wendy|
|2004||50 First Dates||Linda|
|2004||The Merchant of Venice||Portia|
|2006||Return to Rajapur||Sara Reardon|
|2006||The Lake House||Mona|
|2006||The Dog Problem||Lola|
|2007||The Number 23||Suicide Blonde/Mrs. Dobkins/Young Fingerling's Mother|
|2008||Life in Flight||Kate|
|2009||Blood Creek||Barb|
|2009||X-Men Origins: Wolverine||Kayla Silverfox|
|2010||City Island||Vince's Bombshell Girlfriend|
|2012||John Carter||Dejah Thoris|
|2013||The Wolverine||Kayla Silverfox||Archival Audio (uncredited)|
|2016||The Hollow Point||Marla|
|1999||Law & Order: Special Victims Unit||Virginia Hayes||1 episode|
|2001||Earth Angels||Catarin||Television movie|
|2001||The Education of Max Bickford||1 episode|
|2002||Push, Nevada||BRB's Wife||1 episode|
|2002||Haunted||Assistant D.A. Jessica Manning||5 episodes|
|2008||True Blood||Dawn Green||Series regular (5 episodes)|
|2013||Elementary||Tanya Barrett||1 episode|
|2014||Covert Affairs||Olga Akarova||3 episodes|
|2015||A Mother Betrayed||Monica||Television movie|
- This source, which is currently hindered by WP:Original Research and source inaccessibility, is said to state a DOB as May 16, 1977.[verification needed] See "Free Family Tree, Genealogy and Family History - MyHeritage". familytreelegends.com. Retrieved August 12, 2016.[dead link][subscription required]
- This source states her full name, and presents her birth date as June 1, 1979. AMG Staff (December 20, 2013). "Lynn Collins". All Movie Guide. Archived from the original on 2013-12-20. Retrieved 2016-08-12 – via The New York Times.
- In this source, Collins is said to be "planning her first trip to Scotland in May for her birthday." Millar, John (March 4, 2012). "Classic Actress Turns Alien Princess for Out-of-this-World Movie Epic 'John Carter'". Daily Record. Glasgow, Scotland. Archived from the original on April 22, 2012.
- Ryan, Mike (March 9, 2012). "Lynn Collins, 'John Carter' Star, Cried While Reading the Script (In a Good Way)". The Huffington Post. AOL. Archived from the original on March 11, 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- BlackBook [Barna, Ben] (March 7, 2012). "Lynn Collins is Ready to Blast-Off in the Epic 'John Carter'". BlackBook. Archived from the original on March 11, 2012. Retrieved 2016-08-12.
When you're a functioning alcoholic, you can hide it. And I was young enough that it didn't show in my face. But it got to a point where somebody was like, it's not cute anymore, and I was like, Oh God.
- Busch, Jenna (March 9, 2012). "'John Carter': Lynn Collins on Female Warriors, Actor Slapping". Zap2it.com. Archived from the original on March 11, 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- "Top 99 Women, 2012 Edition: Lynn Collins". AskMen.com. Archived from the original on March 11, 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-11.[better source needed][better source needed]
- "Lynn Collins". IMDb. Retrieved 2016-09-26.
- "Alumni News". The Juilliard School. May 2008. Archived from the original on 2011-11-11.
- Kit, Borys (June 12, 2009). "Taylor Kitsch, Lynn Collins blast off to Mars". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2009-06-12.
- Marr, Madeleine (March 7, 2012). "Lynn Collins is 'John Carter's' Warrior Princess". The Miami Herald. McClatchy Newspapers. Archived from the original on March 11, 2012. Retrieved 2012-03-11.
- Gelt, Jessica (September 9, 2000). "Supper Club, where dining is a class act". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on 2011-02-04.
Other sun-soaked Hollywood guests included actress Lynn Collins ('True Blood' and 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine') and her husband, actor Steven Strait....
- Fanning, Evan. "Down to Earth with the Most Beautiful Woman in the Universe". The Independent. UK. Archived from the original on April 22, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lynn Collins.|